Butter in coffee

Options

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    If you're an Eskimo living in the arctic and you need fat, and have a lack of calories for food (like maybe you don't always know if you'll eat), then do it. Otherwise, there's no point.

Flavor and taste! That's like saying to ice cream lovers that there is no point to ice cream if you don't live in a tropical region

That's not why people are doing it, and you know it. Don't be coy. This is a silly trend that some dude started because he "discovered" this magic thing. It's BS. People aren't doing it because they like it, they are doing it because it has supposed benefits. There is no legitimate knowledgeable person that I am aware of that thinks this is a good idea, from a nutrition or health perspective.

If you have tried it, and you enjoy it, then keep doing it. I don't care. But there are no benefits other than eating and drinking coffee. It's not magic when you mix it together.

I'm not being coy. Most low carb people I know who drink bullet proof coffee really enjoy it and it fits their macros. They are becoming more healthy and losing weight while doing it it. No of course it is not some magic drink for weight loss (I've never chatted with anyone who said it was). It's just a drink.

People drink it because it tastes good and fits their macros. Period.

... We must know different people.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    It sounds like something good if you need to poo. I remember a poster on here a while back saying they had worked at a nursing home and given that to blocked up seniors.
  • irenehb
    irenehb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I'm not a coffee drinker, but if i was I'm sure BPC would taste great. I do bullet proof hot chocolate instead..

I use a 500ml soup mug :lol:

-25g protein powder- I alternate between quest chocolate and peanut butter.

- 15g butter

-15g coconut oil

-15g thickened cream

Fill the cup 1/4 the way up with boiled kettle water and blend using a hand immersion blender, then fill to the top with the rest of the hot water. A filling creamy cup of deliciousness! And keeps me full til lunch time.

Comes to 385 calories

Sometimes I also add 15ml of coconut cream

Seriously curious but why not eat a meal for 385 calories instead?
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    What happens to it between the time it's cream and butter? Why turn it into butter? I'm all for putting cream in my coffee, I just can't afford the fat and calories, so I do half and half. Sounds gimmick-y to me.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    irenehb wrote: »
    I'm not a coffee drinker, but if i was I'm sure BPC would taste great. I do bullet proof hot chocolate instead..

I use a 500ml soup mug :lol:

-25g protein powder- I alternate between quest chocolate and peanut butter.

- 15g butter

-15g coconut oil

-15g thickened cream

Fill the cup 1/4 the way up with boiled kettle water and blend using a hand immersion blender, then fill to the top with the rest of the hot water. A filling creamy cup of deliciousness! And keeps me full til lunch time.

Comes to 385 calories

Sometimes I also add 15ml of coconut cream

Seriously curious but why not eat a meal for 385 calories instead?

I've never eaten breakfast. My usual go to is 6-7 cups of tea with milk, which filled me up. But I'm trying to keep my carbs down so all the carbs in the milk weren't conducive to the plan. But like I said, I had to choose between a high calorie breakfast or dessert after dinner, I was struggling to fit both in, so I chose dessert. So if I'm careful I can fit the milk in by reducing carbs in other areas.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Wetcoaster wrote: »
    More from Alan

1. Alan Aragon — Buttered (Bulletproof) Coffee

Alan Aragon I’d have to say buttered coffee is the most overrated health food right now.

The current trend of dumping butter into your coffee (the “bulletproof” recipe calls for butter and MCT oil) is ridiculous for a couple of reasons. First off, the idea that it’s a fat-burning drink is completely false. If anything, it’s a fat-gaining drink.

Secondly, butter is not a magic food. If anything, it’s a food that needs to be carefully moderated since it can adversely affect blood lipid profile by increasing apolipoprotein B ( apo B ) levels, which has the potential to raise the risk for cardiovascular disease. In addition to raising apo B levels, adding supplemental MCT oil to coffee has the potential to raise fasting blood glucose and triglyceride levels. Both of these effects are not conducive to good health.

One more little wrinkle here, cream contains a substantially higher content of milk fat globule membrane (MFGM) than butter due to the churning process involved with butter production. Recent research has linked the higher MFGM content of cream to its more favorable effect on blood lipid profile than that of butter. So yeah, stick with cream if you’re going to dress up your coffee, and don’t buy into the imaginative BS claims made by crazy opportunists and marketer

Bolded for emphasis. Because yeah, we know eating fat makes us fat right? It's a good thing he doesn't post to MFP because someone would ignore the rest of the context involved.

As for the various coffee additives, at times I could go for it. Usually in the mornings I don't like things that sweet or fatty, but it would be good on a cold night after dinner or something. The cocoa idea seems even better.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    More from Alan

Alan Aragon I’d have to say buttered coffee is the most overrated health food right now.

The current trend of dumping butter into your coffee (the “bulletproof” recipe calls for butter and MCT oil) is ridiculous for a couple of reasons. First off, the idea that it’s a fat-burning drink is completely false. If anything, it’s a fat-gaining drink.

Secondly, butter is not a magic food. If anything, it’s a food that needs to be carefully moderated since it can adversely affect blood lipid profile by increasing apolipoprotein B ( apo B ) levels, which has the potential to raise the risk for cardiovascular disease. In addition to raising apo B levels, adding supplemental MCT oil to coffee has the potential to raise fasting blood glucose and triglyceride levels. Both of these effects are not conducive to good health.

One more little wrinkle here, cream contains a substantially higher content of milk fat globule membrane (MFGM) than butter due to the churning process involved with butter production. Recent research has linked the higher MFGM content of cream to its more favorable effect on blood lipid profile than that of butter. So yeah, stick with cream if you’re going to dress up your coffee, and don’t buy into the imaginative BS claims made by crazy opportunists and marketer

Bolded for emphasis. Because yeah, we know eating fat makes us fat right? It's a good thing he doesn't post to MFP because someone would ignore the rest of the context involved.

As for the various coffee additives, at times I could go for it. Usually in the mornings I don't like things that sweet or fatty, but it would be good on a cold night after dinner or something. The cocoa idea seems even better.

Where did he say that fat makes us fat? Butter has calories. Adding it to your coffee expecting it to help with weight loss is simply ridiculous. The same would be true if someone expected that add pieces of bread or steak in their coffee would aid weight loss.
    Hmm, steak in coffee does sound exotic and disgusting enough that it could start a new fad diet trend. Or maybe bacon floating in coffee. Maybe I should right a book about it.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    More from Alan

Where did he say that fat makes us fat? Butter has calories. Adding it to your coffee expecting it to help with weight loss is simply ridiculous. The same would be true if someone expected that add pieces of bread or steak in their coffee would aid weight loss.
    Hmm, steak in coffee does sound exotic and disgusting enough that it could start a new fad diet trend. Or maybe bacon floating in coffee. Maybe I should right a book about it.

In order for the book to grab people it probably needs the word Miracle in it. Find a hockey player from 1980's USA team as an endorser and you are well on your way. Do you believe in Miracles? (semi finals Russian professionals losing(hey weight loss) to a group of amateurs from the US)

• ValBFP4H
    ValBFP4H Posts: 18 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I drink mine that way most days or I use heavy whipping cream and it is really good! You use unsalted butter! I am on LCHF though. Most people don't understand how you lose eating fat...I don't fully understand either but I know it works for me and my doctor is good with it.
    Watch "Butter Makes Your Pants Fall Off"
  • saralthrash
    saralthrash Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I tried it with coconut butter. It added a nice tropical taste! LOL In all honesty I didn't like the consistency so I'm sticking to my almond milk. But if it works for you that's awesome!
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    More from Alan

I am sure he is deathly afraid to post here. Where did he say eating fat makes us fat? Perhaps I am missimg the context :)
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Butter/coconut oil, whatever. It sounds super unnecessary.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    You can sure tell it's January around here...
    Bulletproof coffee, though I've never tried it (because ew), would work wonderfully for me for the same reason Tim Hortons' double-double works wonders for me. 10 mins later and I'm losing 5 lbs if you know what I'm saying. And I'm guessing only Canadians will get the Timmie's reference.

Lmfao... all of this.

I used to work at Timmie's and it would make me gag when people would XL triple triples... the coffee would legit be greasy from so much cream.

If Tim's would get some super organic not quite as refined fair trade cane sugar, they could expand to a whole new market. They could brag about coffee that makes you poo!
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    If you're an Eskimo living in the arctic and you need fat, and have a lack of calories for food (like maybe you don't always know if you'll eat), then do it. Otherwise, there's no point.

Flavor and taste! That's like saying to ice cream lovers that there is no point to ice cream if you don't live in a tropical region

That's not why people are doing it, and you know it. Don't be coy. This is a silly trend that some dude started because he "discovered" this magic thing. It's BS. People aren't doing it because they like it, they are doing it because it has supposed benefits. There is no legitimate knowledgeable person that I am aware of that thinks this is a good idea, from a nutrition or health perspective.

If you have tried it, and you enjoy it, then keep doing it. I don't care. But there are no benefits other than eating and drinking coffee. It's not magic when you mix it together.

I do it because it tastes good. It is not artificial like the bottled non dairy creamer crap, it fills me up more than a splash of milk would, and helps add to my macro goals. No magic. Again, it is a food choice. We all make them.

The article above stating that we will all most likely raise blood cholesterol levels because of bulletproof coffee(did it include research on lifestyle, heredity, or other food choices? I did not read more than what was posted here) is just as good as the sensationalist articles claiming that if I drink pop I will gain 15lbs this year or that McDonald's will kill me. My morning coffee yesterday was total 80cal. Easily fit into my calorie and macro numbers.
    Not artificial, as in butter or cream is natural? You think consuming a product made by coagulating the milk of another species is in any sense natural? Somebody invented butter (probably several someones independently, since it prehistoric) just as someone invented non dairy creamer. The guy inventing the non dairy creamer has the advantage of a lot more knowledge accumulated by people behind the invention though.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    More from Alan

Or they'd just add their own non sequitor context. The whole context is there in the previous sentence, you can't eat more food to lose more weight. Calories coming in from food will always be greater than the thermic effect out, and a high calorie food like butter is going the worst for it.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    http://www.evilsugarradio.com/episode-13-cholesterol-genetics-carbs-with-dr-spencer-nadolsky/127/

Dr Spencer Nadolksy wrote a paper where he had done advanced blood lipid work on clients who were drinking Bullet Proof Coffee. Their blood work was terrible and returned to normal after they eliminated Bullet Proof Coffee.
  • joey4014
    joey4014 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I got into the BP Coffee thing at one time. At the end of the day I prefer to eat those two or three hundred calories. Our budgets are too tight to waste those calories like that. :)
  • joey4014
    joey4014 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    UMDavies wrote: »
    I put 20g butter and 20g coconut oil in my coffee each morning and love it :) You have to make sure to whizz it in the blender to emulsify the fats though otherwise it does separate, which isn't great. I thought it sounded disgusting before I'd tried it too though :lol:

It is great and Ioved BPCoffee, but wouldn't you prefer to eat those calories? Nom nom nom....
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Clarewho wrote: »
    Sounds disgusting, I can't think of any good reason to do it. Coffee is an appetite suppressant and fat can make you feel fuller longer. Together maybe they have super-filling qualities? But for the calories in that tbsp of butter I can think of much more tasty alternatives :)

It's actually undetectable as "butter", to me texture in my mouth was more like coffee with a nice plop of cream but without the sugars in dairy cream. Most people who do very low carb diet need these super charged fats, and as little sugar as possible. Back when I was following a VLCD I had a tbsp each of butter and coconut oil. It has to be blended up and it ends up creamy and frothy and if you drank it without being told- I honestly don't think you'd be able to pick out the additions :)

It's certainly not a thing that applies to anyone but the VLCD and super high fat folks. But the basic idea is the fat does indeed fill you up, so you have a breakfast coffee that's pretty quick and can keep you full for hours if it's something your body likes.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

I do it because it tastes good. It is not artificial like the bottled non dairy creamer crap, it fills me up more than a splash of milk would, and helps add to my macro goals. No magic. Again, it is a food choice. We all make them.

The article above stating that we will all most likely raise blood cholesterol levels because of bulletproof coffee(did it include research on lifestyle, heredity, or other food choices? I did not read more than what was posted here) is just as good as the sensationalist articles claiming that if I drink pop I will gain 15lbs this year or that McDonald's will kill me. My morning coffee yesterday was total 80cal. Easily fit into my calorie and macro numbers.
    Not artificial, as in butter or cream is natural? You think consuming a product made by coagulating the milk of another species is in any sense natural? Somebody invented butter (probably several someones independently, since it prehistoric) just as someone invented non dairy creamer. The guy inventing the non dairy creamer has the advantage of a lot more knowledge accumulated by people behind the invention though.

I can make butter in a jar in my kitchen. To me that is natural. If I want to go all extreme I can go next door to my friend with the organic farm and get some cream with which to make the butter from their personal dairy cow. Aside from my decision to use protein powder, all of my food choices lean towards naturally occurring, not lab created. Questioning whether it is natural to consume dairy seems a bit off topic I think.