Eating too much fat on high protein

Options
Hi everyone,

So I'm trying to be much more aware of what I am putting into my body whilst trying to loose some weight.
I've opted for a higher protein method, but in doing this I seem to have a high amount of fat in my diet too.
I've tried a macro calculator but I don't feel like it's the right balance for me.
Does anyone else suffer with this? Any solutions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Lindsay

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Choose leaner protein sources ? An open diary would help - Settings, scroll to bottom left, set to Public.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    What is the fat from? Meat? Full fat yogurt? Avocados you eat on your meat sandwiches? Fat isn't bad in general, and it's very good for you if it's from the right sources.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    How many grams of protein are you aiming for? Greek yogurt and chicken are great sources. Lean ground turkey too. A lot of people struggle to reach their protein goal, myself included. But maxing out protein isnt as important to me as my calorie limit right now. But Im definitely following this thread.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. In for the answers.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I tend to have higher fat too. As long as my carbs are lower I try not to stress too much, but when I stick to chicken and lean protein rather than salami and cheeses, the fat stays lower too.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I tend to have higher levels of fat with increased protein as well.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    American Heart Association says to limit saturated fats to 7% of your daily calories.
    Maybe a guideline will help you feel better.
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    What do you consider "high"? I aim for 35% P/35% F/30% C and feel like that get's me pretty close to my protein goals on a per gram basis. I go for between 1g per lb of lean body mass and 1g per actual weight so 150g-190g normally. Fat doesn't make you fat.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    McCloud33 wrote: »
    What do you consider "high"? I aim for 35% P/35% F/30% C and feel like that get's me pretty close to my protein goals on a per gram basis. I go for between 1g per lb of lean body mass and 1g per actual weight so 150g-190g normally. Fat doesn't make you fat.

Agree we need more info. Like specifically - what is a "higher protein method" and "high fat"?
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    85/15 ground beef is the same as 85/15 ground turkey Fat is fat.

If you want to lower your fat go with chicken breast, shrimp, fish all of which are high in protein. Personally I wouldn't worry about the fat so much as the calories from all four food groups.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    I'm not concerned about fat per se, but I do have a medical condition that can be affected by saturated fat, so have been working to reduce that since December. Since I've been doing that, my overall fat has gone down as well. I'm eating less eggs, cheese, and red meat, and more chicken and non-fat cottage cheese. Sometimes I have an extra scoop of protein powder, but usually I'm at one per day.
  • nonrg
    nonrg Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I aim for about 40% protein, 30% fat and carbs in my diet. I concentrate on low fat protein sources like:
    *boneless skinless chicken breast
    *Whey Protein (I use optimum 100% whey)
    *Standard Jenni-O ground turkey
    *2% Fage Greek Yogurt

Those are my main sources of protein with others mixed in when I get bored (my diet log is public if you're curious).

I get most of my fat from avocado, peanut butter and olive oil.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Main reason I use protien shakes is so many other sources of protien are high in fat. You could look into suppliment in a shake for extra protien.
  • glover22
    glover22 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, that's really helpful and making me worry less about the fat percentage. Fingers crossed!
  • toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I eat tons of fat...30-40 percent of my macros daily...love it!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Insufficient data. Specify Age, Height, Weight, % Body Fat, and goal....