saving calories..

Options
Say I eat 1,099 cals in a day when my amount is 1,200, could I add those cals I didn't eat and use them all on the weekend to have more cals that day? Just thought about it and curious now! Thanks:p

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    Sure. If you're only weighing yourself weekly, it doesn't matter. If you're weighing daily, you'll need to accept the fact that you'll lose more during the week and, depending on how much you've "saved" for the weekend, you might stall or even edge up a bit on the weekend. But in the long run, it doesn't matter either way.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I do this every week, under eat by around a 100 calories a week day to save them for the weekend.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Yes. I often try do this, since I like to drink alcohol on weekends which fouls up everything.
    You can go to the Saturday date and take away calories. Let me explain.
    Go to Saturday, click on Quick Add calories, then put a negative sign in front of the calories you saved.
    Ex: Quick add -100.
    Or you can go to Saturday and put in your daily notes how many calories you are saving.
    Ex: Monday saved 100
    Tuesday saved 100.
  • hokagenoob
    hokagenoob Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Yes. I often try do this, since I like to drink alcohol on weekends which fouls up everything.
    You can go to the Saturday date and take away calories. Let me explain.
    Go to Saturday, click on Quick Add calories, then put a negative sign in front of the calories you saved.
    Ex: Quick add -100.
    Or you can go to Saturday and put in your daily notes how many calories you are saving.
    Ex: Monday saved 100
    Tuesday saved 100.

Thanks!:)
  • hokagenoob
    hokagenoob Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I do this every week, under eat by around a 100 calories a week day to save them for the weekend.

So it doesn't slow down your progress at all to this?
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Plenty of Ppl do this. If you are on the app it is really easy to keep track of your weekly cals to see how much you have saved up. I use to do it all the time. I only weigh in once a week and I never saw a problem.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    what are your goals?
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I've heard a lot of people do this but I don't think it's healthy to do it regularly. Your body works on daily basis not weekly. Here and there should be fine, but every weekend...If you want to splurge I would suggest exercising a bit more that day.
    But, every person is different, if it works for you...
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I eat weekly calories and am in awesome shape. I don't drink but if I did and needed calories I would just do one extra hour of Cardio and have those 400-700 calories to do what I want to with..

It all comes down to math
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    You have to eliminate 3500 calories a week to lose a pound. I dont think it is necessary to ensure that those calories are deducted equally every day. As long as thats the deficit in which you find yourself at the end of the week, you should be good.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    GsKiki wrote: »
    I've heard a lot of people do this but I don't think it's healthy to do it regularly. Your body works on daily basis not weekly. Here and there should be fine, but every weekend...If you want to splurge I would suggest exercising a bit more that day.
    But, every person is different, if it works for you...

Your body doesn't operate on a daily basis. If you think about it, it's highly unlikely that our ancestors evolved in situations where they had the same level of calories each and every day. There would be days (and seasons) of abundance alongside days (and seasons) of fewer calories. If our bodies were not capable of processing different amounts of calories on different days, we probably would have died out.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I would say within reason stashing a few calories here and there isn't a bad thing, but use some common sense when doing it. You don't want to work out heavy and neglect proper nutrition for recovery as an example. Probably the least potentially harmful time to "bank" calories would be on a low energy day, when you aren't in recovery from previous workouts.

From the things I've been able to find, doing any real long term damage is hard, but single day deficits should be kept in check in people that are active. Couch potatoes can get away with it longer.
  • Lesliecs
    Lesliecs Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Where do you go on the app to view weekly calories? I can't seem to find that.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Lesliecs wrote: »
    Where do you go on the app to view weekly calories? I can't seem to find that.

Under the nutrition tab. Calories, Nutrients and Macros can all be viewed by the day or week.
  • Lesliecs
    Lesliecs Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I found it.