protein

Options
My trainer said I wasn't getting nearly enough protein so I went in and manually changed my settings. Now the only problem is that the only way I could get it to have enough protein was to raise my calorie goal to 1800 a day. Can you guys take a look at my food diary settings and see if it looks reasonable in your opinion?

Replies

• misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Glad to know my trainer isn't the only one harassing me about protein :smile:
  • ckdub428
    ckdub428 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    could you just leave your setting alone and just eat more protein. It would make it go red everyday, but then you wouldn't have to mess with your calories??
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    you can up your protein intake without sky rocketing everything else just by making a smoothie with a scoop of protein powder. My favorite is half a banana, a cup of milk, half a cup of ice, and a scoop of chocolate whey protein powder. super yummy and healthy too. Drink one after you work out to help you your muscles rebuild the tears you put in them and build up :)
  • MyJourney11
    Options
    could you just leave your setting alone and just eat more protein. It would make it go red everyday, but then you wouldn't have to mess with your calories??

Yes but I feel so guilty when I see alot of red. Also, a lot of things with more protein also have more calories I believe so I guess that would even out.... I just don't know. I've been doing this since January and I still haven't figured it all out :explode:
  • misscfe
    Options
    How did you manually change your protein intake?
  • jlm7183
    jlm7183 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You do NOT need 110 grams of protein a day. I am not sure how tall you are but on average 60 to 70 grams is sufficient unless you have recently done lab work and have been told that your protein stores are low. And yes, 60 to 70 grams would be sufficient even if you are doing very strenuous exercise for hours every day. Overdoing protein is simply not necessary and is hard on your kidneys. A trainer should not be someone to take nutrition advice from. Exercise advice yes, nutrition advice no. Hope this helps!
  • CeejayGee
    CeejayGee Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Well, you just have to work on getting over having guilt with food! Who cares about the red? MFP's settings aren't the best. :)

There are lots of threads here about lower-cal protein sources. I find that protein keeps me full and satisfies me and causes me to eat way fewer calories a day.
  • MyJourney11
    Options
    How did you manually change your protein intake?
    When you're at your home page there is a "goals" section. If you go there you can choose to manually change your settings.
  • misscfe
    Options
    Thanks! I am usually over on my protein but stay under on my calories.
  • torregro
    torregro Posts: 307
    Options
    Seafood is a great way to get protein with low calories. I often eat half of one of those cocktail shrimp rings that are sold at many grocery stores with a little cocktail sauce. Under 100 calories and about 18-20 grams of protein. I eat 10/20/30 at each meal, 5 times a day, so I get a total of 50 grams of fat, 100 grams of protein and 150 grams of carbs every day.
    My kidneys are fine, thank you very much. ;-)
    Also, eggs and/or egg whites are a quick source of low cal protein.
  • misscfe
    Options
    I was able to change my protein without it affecting my calories at all. Are you having a hard time finding the right foods with high protein or adjusting your protein setting without changing your calories?
  • MyJourney11
    Options
    Seafood is a great way to get protein with low calories.

That sounds great. I love seafood!!!!!!
  • MyJourney11
    Options
    I was able to change my protein without it affecting my calories at all. Are you having a hard time finding the right foods with high protein or adjusting your protein setting without changing your calories?

If I left the calories alone and changed my protein it would automatically adjust my carbs and fat. I didn't want to change those.
  • torregro
    torregro Posts: 307
    Options
    Seafood is a great way to get protein with low calories.

That sounds great. I love seafood!!!!!!

I get a lot of my protein from seafood, and shrimp is just so darned easy, especially when it's pre-cooked. You can toss up a salad pretty quickly too.
    Another thought is to use some protein powder when you're making a smoothie or even just having a glass of milk or some cereal, which I see on your diary fairly often. Protein powders vary quite a lot, but you could easily get 18-20 grams with one inexpensive scoop of powder. Good luck!
  • MindyLynn77
    MindyLynn77 Posts: 126
    Options

Thats what I was thinking! lol
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    My trainer said I wasn't getting nearly enough protein so I went in and manually changed my settings. Now the only problem is that the only way I could get it to have enough protein was to raise my calorie goal to 1800 a day. Can you guys take a look at my food diary settings and see if it looks reasonable in your opinion?

Go to goals, click change goals, select custom, increase protein and lower carbs, then click save changes.
  • misscfe
    Options
    Carbs, protein and fat have to add up to 100%. So in order to change your protein you have to decrease one or both of carbs and fat.