Avocado from walmart tastes like chemicals vs. Costco avocado. Why?

Options
124»

Replies

• williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I have Kroger and Walmart as my local grocers (that I can afford). Sometimes Krogers taste better, and sometimes Walmarts are better. Depends on the shipment. I always assumed weather, soil, season, harvest timing, etc. conditions contributed to the bulk of the variations.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I get strongly varying quality buying produce from the same store. I would guess it has a lot to do with the season, the weather, the location where the produce was grown, and all kinds of variables maybe only partially in the control of the store.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I just googled, and avocados are "off" season. Does not make sense because walmart recently reduced the price. Therefore temptation into buying. From $1.18 to $88 cents (I think).
    Why would they reduce price off season? Because they taste bad? Strange logic.
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    nu9k0nb5c3dj.jpg

LOL yes!!!
  • dragonmaster69
    dragonmaster69 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    nu9k0nb5c3dj.jpg
    Sadly, this is completely true. I've tested the theory many times. :(
  • lindsayh87
    lindsayh87 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    My father in law drives semi truck for a produce supplier. He says that Meijer is picky about their produce and Walmart tends to take the stuff they wouldn't. We don't have a Costco here but I'm guessing the situation is similar.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    tumblr_n4lt7fvMxt1ririjeo1_500.jpg

I feel differently about selectively breeding desirable traits over generations than I do splicing fish genes into tomatoes and strawberries.

How do you feel about bombarding seeds with radiation to spark random mutations? I believe that's allowable with organic farming.

not only that, but organic farms are actually allowed to use MORE pesticides than non-organic farms.
    Cite please?
    oh, and organic milk is the biggest sham ever.
    How so?

why do you need a citation for common knowledge?

but here, will berkeley suffice?

https://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~lhom/organictext.html

ORGANIC PRODUCE AND PERSONAL HEALTH

When you test synthetic chemicals for their ability to cause cancer, you find that about half of them are carcinogenic.
    Until recently, nobody bothered to look at natural chemicals (such as organic pesticides), because it was assumed that they posed little risk. But when the studies were done, the results were somewhat shocking: you find that about half of the natural chemicals studied are carcinogenic as well.

This is a case where everyone (consumers, farmers, researchers) made the same, dangerous mistake. We assumed that "natural" chemicals were automatically better and safer than synthetic materials, and we were wrong. It's important that we be more prudent in our acceptance of "natural" as being innocuous and harmless.

That utterly fails the standard for sources you ask of others.

Berkeley is not a reliable source, really?