Calories for cleaning and such vs calories burned at the gym

HCbaby
HCbaby Posts: 10
edited September 28 in Fitness and Exercise
OK so for some reason after I log in all my gym info. (Treadmill and weight training,) Then I log in all the cleaning I've done. (I only enter in when I do major cleaning like vacuuming and cleaning the bathroom etc.) The site says that I burned much more calories doing the cleaning.. Really? Something must be wrong. I do about the same amount of cleaning and exercise (60 min). So whats up with that? Am I doing something wrong?

Replies

• Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Yes. You're not cleaning my house.

Nah, I don't know. A clever person will be along shortly to help.
  • I've noticed that the MFP calories-burned levels are rather high.... a more accurate reading would be from a heart rate monitor because that can correctly gauge your workout/cleaning intensity.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    I've noticed that the MFP calories-burned levels are rather high.... a more accurate reading would be from a heart rate monitor because that can correctly gauge your workout/cleaning intensity.

Exactly! It's another reason why I don't log house work, it's part of my "job" anyways.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    I've noticed that the MFP calories-burned levels are rather high.... a more accurate reading would be from a heart rate monitor because that can correctly gauge your workout/cleaning intensity.

I agree about the HRM, but as for MFP calculating calories high, it's on a case by case basis. For me, MFP calculates much lower than I actually burned for activities, and yes I wear an HRM. I really don't know why you would burn more calories cleaning than at the gym though, it makes no sense to me.
  • HCbaby
    Ha Ha that's funny Heather... Oh by the way, My name is also Heather! If you lived near me, maybe I would go clean your house. I hear it's good exercise. Lol.. Gotta keep it movin!
  • i gladly log in my cleaning i do everyday..having to clean up after my toddler destroys my house 3 times a day,washing 3 sinks of dishes and doing and folding laundry tires me out!and Im sure ive burned calories.I DO NOT add the extra calories into my day for eating though..I add it to make me feel like I accomplished somehting besides tiring myself out from cleaning up after my tornado 2 year old,and doing housework all day. I still stick to my 1200 calories,despite adding the cleaning,carrying my toddler and such..Im burning the calories so I feel i deserve to see them logged,but i do not use it as a reason to eat more calories. to the orginal sender of this topic,shame on you for judging everyone who is not YOU. and why is it YOUR business what people log as exercise for themselves?? this site is for help and reassurance from one person to another,not to make others feel like lazy *kitten* verses whatever YOU do for exercise.
  • atruitt79
    atruitt79 Posts: 2
    Exercise while doing something that distracts you from the fact that you are doing exercise has a tendency to burn more calories because you are focused on completing a task. Crank up some music and scrub away, if your days are crammed like mine, might as well benefit from the cleaning we must do anyway. So, crank up the music and dance a little jig while you scrub, my kids get a kick out of it and it makes cleaning fun and beneficial to the body. Win-Win.
  • HCbaby
    @ Phoenix9115, I think your confused or something. I am the original poster and asked for help to understand why the site says I burn more calories cleaning and such then at the gym. That is all. Maybe you posted on the wrong topic? Either way I am in no way trying to disrespect anyone. We are all here for pretty much the same thing I thought.
This discussion has been closed.