How much calories should I be burning?

Options
I am on an 1800 calorie diet I weigh 228. I am lifting small weights and jogging treadmill. I need to know how many Calories to burn in order to see results. And how much I should dedicate each day to working out. Thank you!

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Your body burns calories all day long, just by existing. Even if you were just lying in a coma all day.

You can increase that number, through increasing your daily activity and exercise, but there isn't a set number that's required.

If you're not losing weight doing what you're doing now, you'll need to either increase activity or decrease consumption.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes from being in a deficit and exercise is for health and well being. Make sure you are accurately counting intake and outtake.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10257474/starting-out-restarting-basics-inside/p1
  • hellovickykitty
    hellovickykitty Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Weight loss comes from being in a deficit and exercise is for health and well being. Make sure you are accurately counting intake and outtake.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10257474/starting-out-restarting-basics-inside/p1

Thank you I bookmarked that info
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I am on an 1800 calorie diet I weigh 228. I am lifting small weights and jogging treadmill. I need to know how many Calories to burn in order to see results. And how much I should dedicate each day to working out. Thank you!

If you gave MFP a weight loss goal, then they gave you a deficit based on zero exercise. You don't have to exercise. The way MFP works; you log exercise and "earn" additional calories. However, most people eat back only a portion (50-75%) to make up for errors in calorie burn estimates and food logging.

Exercise is a great addition to eating less. Strength training helps you keep more lean muscle and is good for your bones. Cardio is great for building stamina. I treat exercise like any lifestyle change. My goal is to move more for the rest of my life. Find something you like to do, and make it consistent.
  • MissFit_Megan
    MissFit_Megan Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I agree with queenliz99 - to lose weight you must have a calorie deficit but not to much that your body goes into "starvation" mode. For example, I have 5'1, I currently weight 125.5lbs and have a sedentary job so I sit for 9+ hours per day. When I go to the gym I have about an hour to hour n half to burn calories and make a goal to burn between 400-500 each time. I typically begin my doing cardio, never the treadmill usually elliptical or arc trainer, for about 20 minutes then I go focus on my weight training, each day I focus on 1 area such as arms, legs, core/abs, etc. then if I have time I will do a HIIT type workout such as stair master for another 10-15 minutes or until I reach my goal of 400-500 calories. I currently eat 1460 calories per day and focus on my proteins, carbs, and fats only. I follow IIFYM, or flexible dieting, which is NOT for everyone. I suggest trying to figure out your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) and then base the amount of calories you need to burn at the gym around what percent of calorie deficit you want to achieve.
  • hellovickykitty
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

If you gave MFP a weight loss goal, then they gave you a deficit based on zero exercise. You don't have to exercise. The way MFP works; you log exercise and "earn" additional calories. However, most people eat back only a portion (50-75%) to make up for errors in calorie burn estimates and food logging.

Exercise is a great addition to eating less. Strength training helps you keep more lean muscle and is good for your bones. Cardio is great for building stamina. I treat exercise like any lifestyle change. My goal is to move more for the rest of my life. Find something you like to do, and make it consistent.

Thank you. I'm a stay at home mom I burn calories all day but apparently lol I ate more than burning which is why I'm trying to lose pounds. Thanks again!

• hellovickykitty
    Options
    I agree with queenliz99 - to lose weight you must have a calorie deficit but not to much that your body goes into "starvation" mode. For example, I have 5'1, I currently weight 125.5lbs and have a sedentary job so I sit for 9+ hours per day. When I go to the gym I have about an hour to hour n half to burn calories and make a goal to burn between 400-500 each time. I typically begin my doing cardio, never the treadmill usually elliptical or arc trainer, for about 20 minutes then I go focus on my weight training, each day I focus on 1 area such as arms, legs, core/abs, etc. then if I have time I will do a HIIT type workout such as stair master for another 10-15 minutes or until I reach my goal of 400-500 calories. I currently eat 1460 calories per day and focus on my proteins, carbs, and fats only. I follow IIFYM, or flexible dieting, which is NOT for everyone. I suggest trying to figure out your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) and then base the amount of calories you need to burn at the gym around what percent of calorie deficit you want to achieve.
    Ok I will try to figure that out. What I'm learning is losing weight is basically math! Lol
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options

Unfortunately there is no such thing as starvation mode.

Op - don't lift light weights you should be lifting heavy. I promise it makes a huge difference.
  • hellovickykitty
    Options

Unfortunately there is no such thing as starvation mode.

Op - don't lift light weights you should be lifting heavy. I promise it makes a huge difference.

You think 20 lb weights are good enough?