Diet or detox teas???? I'm skeptic to all this diet products

Options
We all have hear about all of these magic teas and diet products! For me the only thing that work is eating healthy. But I want to hear from someone who have use these products, I'm curious particularly about those teas? Anybody have ever use them, if yes, do you see any difference in your body? Thank you

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    You are wise to be a skeptic.

I haven't used them...but can tell you that any 'weight loss' occurs because they contain a laxative type substance that causes you to eliminate waste and water. They don't have any effect on fat loss.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    I just responded to this same question about IT Works products the other day but here goes...if the miracle products for weight loss worked the way the salespeople claim they do, you would see write ups about them in leading scientific journals. Doctors who are not paid to endorse the products would be prescribing it to their patients. It would be the topic with companies like Weight Watchers. If they worked, they would be fully endorsed by the medical field...not just Dr. Oz. Until I see a weight loss gimmick that wins the Nobel prize for medicine because it actually works, I assume it is just a way for me to lose my money.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Diuretics and laxatives help you shed water and waste. The number on the scale moves, but it's not the same as fat loss.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    A waste of money. Drinking water is your best detox.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You are wise to be a skeptic.

I haven't used them...but can tell you that any 'weight loss' occurs because they contain a laxative type substance that causes you to eliminate waste and water. They don't have any effect on fat loss.

This^^

unpoh91qudds.jpeg
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    You have a kidney and liver.. If you drink water that's enough.
  • MrsGreco
    MrsGreco Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I have used Skinny Mint tea before. You definitely don't lose any weight but water weight.
  • marissam08
    marissam08 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    MrsGreco wrote: »
    I have used Skinny Mint tea before. You definitely don't lose any weight but water weight.

Thank you! :)
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I've used those detox teas. Absolutely worthless. I didn't lose any weight. CICO is the only thing that has ever worked.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    These teas have nothing but stimulants, laxatives, and diuretics in them.

So, it will give you more energy, make you poop, and pee. Any weight lost will be in the form of waste and not fat, and they are not worth it in my opinion. The one mentioned above specifically skinny mint tea has all three listed above. :)

If you are insistent on taking a tea that will give you cramps and dehydrate you i would advise using one you can find in a grocery store as they sell MANY teas containing the same ingredients (green tea, senna leaf, dandelion root, etc.) for 4-5$. The "skinny" teas are usually 30$+.

Complete rip off waste of time and money. Not to mention the side effects.
  • Shammah71
    Shammah71 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I used in the past before discovering MFP. I did lose weight but it messed up my system. Senna , the plant-based laxative that used in these teas caused diarrheoa, nausea, vomiting, and stomach cramps. Rather than jeopardising one’s health, it is better to follow the long but safer method of losing weight.
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I have used Hydroxycut water flavor stuff before and love the taste. When I went to my dr. and had my labs drawn my liver enzymes were very high. My dr was really puzzled and I was sitting there knowing darn well why they were messed up and didn't say a peep! He made me go back in a few weeks for a re-draw. I quit taking them and my numbers were good again. So I would add to be careful on herbal stuff -- it messes with your body in things we can't see. Who knows what it really does...
  • corrinrosales5
    corrinrosales5 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    About six years ago I used a tea called holy tea. I dropped like 2 to 3 lbs a week consistently. I did poo a lot though....
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I've tried some of the "diet" teas over the years (the ones without the detox branding and no diuretics or laxatives). They tend to pack them with those products that are supposed to boost your metabolism (but don't) like cinnamon. Some of them taste nice and are a decent substitute for higher calorie drinks when you want something warm to sip. Never noticed any changes to my weight or waist. I don't buy them anymore and prefer a naturally decaffeinated red tea in the evenings instead.

The "detox" teas almost all contain natural diuretics or laxatives. They force your body to dump water or waste, but won't help with fat loss. You might see a big drop on the scale due to the fluids and poo being expelled, but it will come back once you stop the teas. Be careful with them, especially those containing senna. Senna shouldn't be used for more than 7 days.
  • marissam08
    marissam08 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone is good to hear all your different opinions!
  • syrisdarling
    syrisdarling Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    wiki says

Certain approaches in alternative medicine claim to remove "toxins" from the body through herbal, electrical or electromagnetic treatments. These toxins are undefined and have no scientific basis,[6] making the validity of such techniques questionable. There is little evidence for toxic accumulation in these cases,[6] as the liver and kidneys automatically detoxify and excrete many toxic materials including metabolic wastes. Under this theory if toxins are too rapidly released without being safely eliminated (such as metabolizing fat that stores toxins) they can damage the body and cause malaise. Therapies include contrast showers, detoxification foot pads, oil pulling, Gerson therapy, snake-stones, body cleansing, Scientology's Purification Rundown, water fasting, and metabolic therapy.[20]
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,547 Member
    Options
    You're not a skeptic................................you're right on.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Diuretics and laxatives help you shed water and waste. The number on the scale moves, but it's not the same as fat loss.
    Plus you may end up constipated because you have dehydrated yourself.