Travel

Options
I have a trip coming up. How do I keep the weight loss momentum going? I'm going to be driving four days, at my sister's house three days, and camping four days. That means I may not have MFP and Internet several days, will be eating in restaurants at weird schedules sometimes, and may deal with food pushers (my sisters). I may have trouble getting exercise on driving days. What's my strategy? How do I prepare?

Replies

• robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I am kind of terrified because travel has thrown me off of lifestyle and diet changes in the past and sometimes I didn't recover from it.
  • HutchA12
    HutchA12 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Pen and paper. Do your best. Using MFP and actually being mindful of what you eat are tools that prepare you for situations like this. To maintain long term weightloss you'll want to learn not to be 100% reliant on an app and have it all fall apart when your phone breaks for a week.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    In a restaurant look for grilled or baked meats, sides without a lot of cheese, skip anything breaded and fried. Order dressing for salads on the side and be mindful of high calorie ingredients like cheese or creamy dressings. Skip or share dessert. Drink low/no calorie beverages. Stick to lower calorie alcohol drinks, skip blended or fruity drinks full of sugar.

Learn to say "That look delicious but none for me right now, thanks." and mean it.
  • KillRKit
    KillRKit Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Well I usually bring all my food for road travel which would be pretty easy to log. (Dry instant oatmeal+ free hot water at gas stations, non perishable snacks like fruit and jerky, and coffee til I burst) You could do a combo of bringing snacks that you know the cal of and prelogging potential restaurant stops with meals you know will fit your cals for the driving portion of the trip.
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Or try this (using your hands to estimate food portion).
    http://www.staywow.com/editor/uploads/files/staywow_hand_guide_portion_control.jpg

It's an estimation so the measurement won't be as accurate as food scales, but at least you don't have to worry about bring another item with you for the trip!