Trying MFP in the hope of discovering I CAN live a balanced, healthy lifestyle

Options
In 2014 I did a program that put me into ketosis and I lost 70 lbs. I felt great, but over the past year, it has come back on and I now have about half of that to lose again. I've tried other programs but I just can't afford the cost involved and their online tools have left something to be desired, so totally not worth the money. I have realized that I do have to go low carb - not NO carb, just lower carb and cutting out certain things that are big triggers for me, like bread, for a little while. I'm cutting them now for a few weeks, but I plan to look for balanced ways to reintroduce those foods in the long run. I'm so tired of deprivation, and that is why I'm where I am now. I went from being seriously deprived for 9 months to wanting to eat all those things I hadn't been allowed ... and I've gained so much weight back. I'm so angry at myself! At the same time, I know that staying angry with myself is self destructive so I'm trying to find a good balance. I like that MFP gives me the overview of what I'm eating, but is so much easier to track and honestly, I like that it's free! I really hope to find some support here in the community; it's so hard to focus on changing one's lifestyle and becoming someone who can eat in moderation. I tend to be very all-or-nothing: I'm great at depriving myself, and I'm great at being a glutton. It's a terrible, self-destructive mindset (not to mention it's unhealthy for my body!) and I'm hoping there are others here who have similar struggles, so we might lean on each other for support through those tough times.

Replies

• _JustNate_
    _JustNate_ Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    MFP is definitely a great tool to achieve you goals. I restarted yesterday. Was on MFP a few years ago and dropped almost 40lbs. Maintained pretty well for awhile but over the past year, gained back 20. But, it's the support and encouragement that I had previously here that brought me back. You're most welcomed to add if you like. I tend to add a little fun and humor along with support as well.
  • lobelia15
    lobelia15 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have to lose 20 kilos and my dr recommended to look at the glycemic index of carbs for weight loss. To stay under carbs with a GI of 50 preferably. It is working so far. It also helps to eat a protein or a fat if you have a carb craving. Hope it helps. I just joined this site. You can add me for support. Maybe I could add you for support too?
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    You can totally do this!

A few things I've learned...
    - Don't try for miraculous results in a short time. Accept that this is a longer process and that short adjustments will have big long term results... I recommend a mild deficit (as in 0.5 - 1 lb a week) to help you start adjusting your lifestyle.
    - Try not to get overwhelmed in the details. Start simple, work on finding foods you like that fit in your calorie goal. You don't have to go crazy with low carb, no carb, no sugar, only eat kale 3x a day, juice fast, and workout 50x a week. Just focus first on making your calorie goal fit
    - Don't make drastic changes, unless you need to If you like treats, find a way to fit them in here and there, while maintaining your deficit.

You'll find that you naturally start to adjust so that you feel fuller longer, you start to become aware of how much that pizza costs in terms of calories and how hungry you are, so maybe you'll have half the amount of pizza you used to have, and add in some yummy salad. Or maybe instead of the hamburger meat in spaghetti sauce, you use chicken.

Look at the leaning tower of Piza... just a small variance can have a huge effect.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1343719/get-rich-quick/p1
  • neceef
    neceef Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello Kitty. Your story sounds so much like mine! I am starting (back) today and am going to be doing moderation. I have done the low carb and it worked but just like you I gained back after allowing myself to have the foods I couldn't have while doing it. I have to remind myself that depriving myself is not doing me any good, it may work to get the weight off but frankly I needs something that is going to be life changing forever, not just right now to get the weight off. I am going to attempt to add you (if I can figure it out) and anyone can feel free to add me too.
  • Ogopogo
    Ogopogo Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have found that you need to do something you can maintain for the rest of your life. Some of the diets out there with no carbs and other extreme measures work temporarily but, you can't really maintain that forever. Simple changes can help - I only snack on fruit or veggies in the evenings as evening snacking is my downfall.

I am a food addict so, eating in moderation is tough for me. I use protein bars and broccoli to replace the crap I was overeating before. So far so good in 2016 - it takes friends to help us along the journey. Feel free to add me if you like.
  • verlaine01
    verlaine01 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I understand every single thing that you are talking about. Low-carb does work, but as we see it start to work we become extreme and we don't even want to eat one little thing that might mess up our diet. We become super strict, and we do see results. But then after a while, we just want to be normal again, and eat what everyone else in our family is eating, and then we end up gaining the weight back. I realize that certain high glycemic carbohydrates are triggers for me too, and it is important to choose our food wisely as much as it is to track our portions and calories. Certain foods do make us crave more, and will make it harder for us to stay within our calorie limit. But at the end of the day, it's about finding balance enough that we can just be normal, love our bodies, feel energetic, and eat and enjoy life.
  • KittyHeaven74
    KittyHeaven74 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    lobelia15 wrote: »
    Hi, I have to lose 20 kilos and my dr recommended to look at the glycemic index of carbs for weight loss. To stay under carbs with a GI of 50 preferably. It is working so far. It also helps to eat a protein or a fat if you have a carb craving. Hope it helps. I just joined this site. You can add me for support. Maybe I could add you for support too?

Yep, I'm doing something similar. I did South Beach Diet several years ago and found that the phase 1 cutting out of carbs entirely (no grains or fruits, but still can eat legumes which is important because I'm a vegetarian) was a really good start to stopping the cravings. That's what I'm doing right now, and then I'll be focusing, as well, on the lower glycemic foods. Glad to know someone else is doing something similar!
  • chloemoir775
    chloemoir775 Posts: 7 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hi great to meet you! It's awesome how motivated you are.

[Edited by MFP Mods]
  • KittyHeaven74
    Options
    verlaine01 wrote: »
    I understand every single thing that you are talking about. Low-carb does work, but as we see it start to work we become extreme and we don't even want to eat one little thing that might mess up our diet. We become super strict, and we do see results. But then after a while, we just want to be normal again, and eat what everyone else in our family is eating, and then we end up gaining the weight back. I realize that certain high glycemic carbohydrates are triggers for me too, and it is important to choose our food wisely as much as it is to track our portions and calories. Certain foods do make us crave more, and will make it harder for us to stay within our calorie limit. But at the end of the day, it's about finding balance enough that we can just be normal, love our bodies, feel energetic, and eat and enjoy life.

YES, this is my problem! I'm just trying to give up some of those high carb items that result in a total loss of control. For example, I can't have a loaf of bread, no matter how healthy it is, in my house. I will eat half the loaf in one sitting! I'm not proud of that, but it's true. So I'm trying to cut out certain things and for a couple of weeks really get rid of the sugars so I can lessen those cravings. Then I'll start introducing fruit back into my diet. My goal is to turn to fruit as my first instinct when I have a sweet craving, but I've gotten myself on a bad road of binging with things like donuts and pastries, and until I break that cycle, turning to fruit won't work. So two weeks without, then slow reintroduction so I can really think about my choices instead of being distracted by all the cravings I'm having. I know this works for me, the key is to follow through and do that slow reintroduction. My other program I did a year ago would have worked for me in maintenance if I'd stuck with the rules. But instead I went for what was fast and easy and gave me quick energy, and of course that involved a lot of sugars and sugar is ADDICTIVE. It is a DRUG. This is why I'm trying to cut out as much unnatural sugar as I can, until I have a much better handle on my mental state and can make healthy choices instead of just ignoring everything but the craving for the drug.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

YES, this is my problem! I'm just trying to give up some of those high carb items that result in a total loss of control. For example, I can't have a loaf of bread, no matter how healthy it is, in my house. I will eat half the loaf in one sitting! I'm not proud of that, but it's true. So I'm trying to cut out certain things and for a couple of weeks really get rid of the sugars so I can lessen those cravings. Then I'll start introducing fruit back into my diet. My goal is to turn to fruit as my first instinct when I have a sweet craving, but I've gotten myself on a bad road of binging with things like donuts and pastries, and until I break that cycle, turning to fruit won't work. So two weeks without, then slow reintroduction so I can really think about my choices instead of being distracted by all the cravings I'm having. I know this works for me, the key is to follow through and do that slow reintroduction. My other program I did a year ago would have worked for me in maintenance if I'd stuck with the rules. But instead I went for what was fast and easy and gave me quick energy, and of course that involved a lot of sugars and sugar is ADDICTIVE. It is a DRUG. This is why I'm trying to cut out as much unnatural sugar as I can, until I have a much better handle on my mental state and can make healthy choices instead of just ignoring everything but the craving for the drug.

What about buying the loaf of bread, but breaking it into halves and putting half in the freezer? Or breaking it into two slice segments and freezing them, so you have to defrost two (or 4) at a time. Or maybe try a different kind of bread (maybe you can't resist French bread, but you can Rye or multigrain).

I tend to go all or nothing when I have certain desserts, but I can have ice cream in my freezer for months. That's my treat of choice now, because I know I can moderate it. Or I'll get a single donut from the donut shop.

It's about trying to find ways that you can still have the things you enjoy, but can moderate your behaviors and eating patterns to facilitate that. :)
  • KittyHeaven74
    Options
    MireyGal76 wrote: »

What about buying the loaf of bread, but breaking it into halves and putting half in the freezer? Or breaking it into two slice segments and freezing them, so you have to defrost two (or 4) at a time. Or maybe try a different kind of bread (maybe you can't resist French bread, but you can Rye or multigrain).

I tend to go all or nothing when I have certain desserts, but I can have ice cream in my freezer for months. That's my treat of choice now, because I know I can moderate it. Or I'll get a single donut from the donut shop.

It's about trying to find ways that you can still have the things you enjoy, but can moderate your behaviors and eating patterns to facilitate that. :)

I always keep the bread in the freezer ... doesn't work. :neutral: But I had considered trying to find a bread that is less appealing for me. Or a replacement that might give me the same ability to have a sandwich without feeling like I'm resisting temptation at every turn. I do think in time I'll be able to have that bread in the freezer. I just can't do it right now.
  • KittyHeaven74
    Options
    Oh, and I know what you mean about desserts. I'm actually not a huge eater of chocolate. I can keep chocolate in my house for months and months and not even feel the desire to eat it (yes, I'm weird). I also had considered getting those individual servings of ice cream (the cups) as opposed to the pints, so I can limit my intake. This I could probably do. I'm just taking it very slowly for now because I want to set myself up for success. If I try these things right out of the gate and I fail, I know how I will feel and the kind of self destructive messaging that will go on in my head. It's a process, for sure. Thanks for the suggestions!