Cauliflower mash?

Options
kr3851
kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
I've been reading wonderful things about cauliflower mash as a substitute for potato mash/rice/pasta in meals. How do I make it? I don't have a food processor so am limited with what I can do with my knives, pots/pans, potato masher, microwave and oven.

Give me your best recipes!!

Replies

• twinsX3
    twinsX3 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I love it and do it all the time. If you have an electric mixer you will be fine. My food processor doesn't make as big of a mess however. Anyway, you can do it two ways. Fresh cauliflower cut into flowerettes, boiled and drained or just buy frozen cauliflower and microwave until very done. I use a little milk, lots of garlic and mash. Sometimes I top it with low fat pepper jack cheese for extra zip. Bake for a few minutes and voila fake mashed potatoes. We love it Word to the wise, it does stink up the place.
  • mixtapemusings
    mixtapemusings Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've never used a recipe persay but I make this all the time! Just boil cut up cauliflower in water until it's soft. I just keep checking it, about 10 minutes I think. I also use frozen cauliflower.

Then drain out the water and mash it up until it's really mushy. Then I add a little milk, butter, salt, pepper and garlic. Lots of garlic. :) I love garlic mashed potatoes and this always comes out just as good.

If you have a hand mixer you can use that too.
  • dbzs
    dbzs Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Not sure how to make it but I know someone that was on Atkins that made it. I remember it tasted good, but had a lot of cheese in it, so not exactly low cal, but low carb.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I got to try this.
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Exactly what Mixtapemusings said :) I also use chicken boullion powder in the water for extra flavor. I also like to use that in my vegetable soups for a thickener, too, instead of the carbs that potatoes would add.
  • doutri2
    doutri2 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Do you have a blender?

Steam cauliflower for at least 11 minutes if you have doing like 1/2 a head (and yes, it will smell). Then, in batches, blend it with a tad of unsalted butter and splashes of fat free Half and Half (or milk). Sprinkle a little salt and pepper. Since you are doing it in batches, you will have to eyeball for texture and doing little tastings to adjust seasonings.

It is wonderful.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna try it. I've read so many good reviews. The unsalted butter & half & half with some garlic is the version I think I'll make :)
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I don't even own a potato masher, and I'm constantly making mashed dishes. In a pinch, a couple forks work just fine.
  • ifiwasurvampire
    ifiwasurvampire Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Hmmm gonna have to try this!
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Here's my recipe:

Makes 4 servings:

1 head cauliflower
    2 cups Swanson FF Chicken Broth
    2 cloves Garlic
    2 tablespoons Kraft light Philadelphia Cream Cheese

About 227 calories, or 47 calories per serving.

I found that the cream cheese mimics sour cream taste and makes the "potatoes" creamier. I need to work on cutting down the sodium -- I'll work on that.

And if you think this is good, you should also try the cauliflower pizza crust..
  • adalton6
    adalton6 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Here's my recipe:

Makes 4 servings:

1 head cauliflower
    2 cloves Garlic

I found that the cream cheese mimics sour cream taste and makes the "potatoes" creamier. I need to work on cutting down the sodium -- I'll work on that.

And if you think this is good, you should also try the cauliflower pizza crust..

WHat is your recipe for the pizza crust would love to try it?
  • kbizzleoo
    kbizzleoo Posts: 114
    Options
    They also offer mashed cauliflower as a side at Ruby Tuesday! It's actually easy to eat relatively healthy there - baked chicken with steam broccoli and mashed cauliflower as the sides? "Sure I'll go out to lunch with you!"
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Here's my recipe:

Makes 4 servings:

1 head cauliflower
    2 cloves Garlic

Try Pacific low sodium chicken broth or Wild Harvest Organic. They are both much lower in sodium than Swanson so you can use them freely in your recipes. I find them both at my local Albertson supermarket but you can use Google to find another store.
  • justtodayjen333
    justtodayjen333 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    My little guy loves potatoes but veggies, not so much. So I made cauliflower and potatoes and mashed them together--might help you work into the idea if you aren't too sure. And I love a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese mashed in with my cauliflower--yum!
  • noni77
    noni77 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    :heart: cauliflower mash! And as you've read a potato masher will work just fine. You can experiment with different consistencies. I like it just on it's own - but all the suggetsions above sound yum. I've also followed a recipe with a bit of hummus - yum :bigsmile:
  • noni77
    noni77 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

I'll second that. Yes please! :wink: Think I need that recipe.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options

[/quote]

I'll second that. Yes please! :wink: Think I need that recipe.
    [/quote]

Here is a link to the cauliflower crust pizza.... you don't have to do the cheese around the edge thing if you want to keep it lower calorie

http://blog.yourlighterside.com/2009/05/low-carb-stuffed-crust-pizza-recipe.html
  • Ez09
    Ez09 Posts: 3
    Options
    if I made this with butter and milk mixed into the mashed cauliflower, how many calories does everyone reckon that would be?
  • laurad1406
    laurad1406 Posts: 341
    Options
    this is completely random, but I had leftover cauliflower mash from dinner one night, so I added some into my BF's scrambled eggs the next morning (it sounds ridiculous, i know!) But it made them SO light and fluffy and he had no idea I had just snuck in some veggies : )
  • sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Yummmmm! I am certainly making these soon. Maybe the husband won't notice if I put cheese and bacon on his.