Any depression sufferers?

Options
I've suffered with anxiety and depression for a very long time, every time something triggers it I either lose my appetite or comfort eat. I've been taking citalopram for around 20 months (don't actually know if it is effective?) I see a difference in my anger but depression im not sure. I started on 10mg, then 20mg then had it doubled to 40mg but started getting nerve pains in my legs so had to go back down to 20mg. Had my first 'real' relationship last year which lasted just over 5 months, he didn't understand depression and we ended up growing apart due to lack of communication, we split up 2 weeks before Christmas and i lost 9lb in just under a week, then during the last 2 weeks of Christmas i shut my self away in the house and did nothing but binge eat so gained all the weight back very quickly.

I started this post so other sufferers can share their stories and hopefully relate to each other.
feel free to add me, im a loner :)

Replies

• starbuckaddict
    starbuckaddict Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Yep my depression has gotten really bad recently and I'm using MFP to regulate my eating and maintain my weight.
  • Riddhima23
    Riddhima23 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Me right here. While I'm not on medication the toll it's taking on my health is sad. I'm constantly groggy and not motivated at all. I go to bedwith the intention of waking up early and getting a workout done but I sleep right through my alarm and binge eat all day long. I'm major stress water and I'm hoping to control it. The plan is to use mfp everyday here onwards along with walking a minimum of 10k steps in a day and 3 litres of water. I really want to be in control again.
  • pittdan77
    pittdan77 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I get hungry after an anxiety attack. I try to be careful but it's not always the first thin on my mind. Especially at 3 AM. They say exercise helps. I guess it's true.

Thank you for sharing.
  • Ten2016
    Ten2016 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hiya! I've suffered with depression and anxiety for nearly 10 years. It's affected my eating hugely. When I was younger I hated eating and refused to eat in public, meaning I passed out at school a lot. Now, I eat whenever I'm sad or happy which has resulted in a lot of weight gain. I'm on citralopram again (20mg) and I think of food like my medication, I have to take it every day. The app helps because it nudges me when I haven't logged a meal and I can plan my food better to make sure I eat.
  • beccaawalsh
    beccaawalsh Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, me to suffer from depression and social anxiety... so to be honest... It's hard for me even post here. I am currently on cymbalta 50mg. In the last 2 years, my weight has shot up. So here I am. Thanks for sharing. We can do this!
  • AdaliaAngel
    AdaliaAngel Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've suffered from depression and anxiety for as long as I can remember. After having my son I started getting worse. I'm taking Celexa but I don't know if it helps much yet. My problem is I stress eat a lot, and some days I barely want to get out of bed, let alone work out. But the added baby weight makes me even more depressed, so it's a viscous cycle.
  • larali1980
    larali1980 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Long-time severe depression sufferer here (more recently diagnosed with bipolar type 2), so I totally understand the struggle... exercise DOES help in the long run, but the problem is getting the energy to do it. I have literally cried the whole way walking around my neighborhood. And that was one of the times I was actually able to get out the door.

Usually I take Cymbalta- 90 mg and Abilify- 5 mg, but I am off the meds right now. I'm taking EnBrace (methylfolate) and it helps a lot. Last time I went off meds (without the methylfolate) I was a complete mess-- my husband couldn't even go to work because he had to stay home to take care of me. I'm NOT against medication, just the opposite-- we were thinking about getting pregnant and that's the ONLY reason I am off meds right now, otherwise I'd totally be taking them. But the EnBrace does help somewhat so it's something you can ask your doc about if you are interested.

Also, depression medication can cause weight gain (in my experience)... I gained 60 pounds on the meds in less than a year, and after I went off them I lost 10 pounds in a month. BUT, if you're so depressed that you can't exercise, that's even worse!

Sorry for the longish post. Anyway, many, many people suffer from depression to varying degrees and my heart breaks for anyone dealing with that. I hope it gets better for y'all soon.
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I believe I've had depression and anxiety my entire life. It runs in my family big time. I've been in counseling off and on for at least the past 15 years and have tried almost every medication under the sun. My anxiety has been much worse over the past year due to my own health problems including two surgeries in 2015, the breakup of a three-year relationship and the huge financial strain that came with it when he moved out of my house, and my beloved cat's health problems. I get social anxiety as well, so I often turn down social invitations which in turn leaves me feeling lonelier and more depressed. It's a vicious cycle. Plus long Minnesota winters where it's bitterly cold and dark for six months doesn't help...I tend to eat a lot more in the winter and pack on the pounds, then spend the rest of the year trying to shed what I gained over winter.

Currently I'm on 150 mg per day of Lamictal, 50-100 mg per night of Trazodone for sleep, as well as .25-1.0 mg of Xanax as needed for those times when I'm feeling so anxious that nothing else can calm me down. Generally when I'm having an anxiety flare up I find my appetite goes way, way down, and my activity level goes up because I can't sit still and can't sleep, so I find something to clean or organize and that helps me feel calmer.

Exercise is a huge, huge help!! Even if you feel too depressed to work out, tell yourself you'll do it for 5 minutes or 10 minutes. Chances are you'll keep going. Other self care techniques that help me include simple things like reading a good book, coloring, baking, or taking a nice long bath. I'm an introvert so I really need quiet alone time in order to recharge my battery.
  • thecoker
    thecoker Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    It is good to see the posts and to know that we are not alone! I am on citalopram 20mg right now. The doc said I could take 10mg, but I knew to get through the holidays, I would have to have more in my system... I am doing better. There are difficult days, and I definitely feel better after a workout- like I've really accomplished something- and then other days it takes all I have to get out of bed and feed the kids. I've suffered from depression since at least junior high and I am a very soft-hearted person. This past year seems to be the first year I have really felt in control of my life, and a lot of that is because I have grown closer to God. (Not preachin, just sayin! :wink: ) Though everyone fights their own battles in their own ways... but I do know it helps to talk about it and let it all out!!! Feel free to friend request if you like! We CAN do this and we know that to us, the little victories are the biggest victories!!!
  • BarbellBabe87
    BarbellBabe87 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I am sorry Fitty :( When I read your posting I swear it could have been something I wrote. I have manic depression & I have suffered with it since I was a kid. Some days I am as high as a kite & other days I am lower than the dirt on the ground & my emotions can change at the drop of a hat. I used citalopram for a year or 2 several years ago & it didn't do anything for me. If you feel like it's not working speak with your doctor but make sure you gave it adequate time to be effective. I had to switch to Zoloft & it's helped me more than the citolpram ever had. Also I want to note that the medicine isn't a cure all as I am sure you know. It helps but it doesn't totally make the depression go away. Exercise in combination with being medicated seems to help the most & boooooy is it hard to get moving & exercise on those low days. Just know hun you're not alone in this fight against depression (even though some days it's hard to believe) It makes this whole health & fitness thing a lot more challenging when one day you do really well with your eating & exercise & then the next day it falls apart. I am going to send you a FR. Feel free to lean on me. HUGS
  • gfjazz
    gfjazz Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I suffer depression, anxiety and at times I feel so lost
    I am in therapy and medicine helps I am better but loose weight,then gain loose then gain
    When I am at my worst I eat the wrong food or nothing just joined this i.e.
    I am a sparkler also
  • NASAwife13
    NASAwife13 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have had depression for the majority of my life as well. A lot of it stemmed from issues growing up, and even though those issues are solved today there are many things that trigger me to have anxiety and bouts of depression. Just this past weekend I had a breakdown. I am lucky that I have a great boyfriend and although he doesn’t understand my depression he is willing to do whatever it takes to help. This past weekend when I had my break down it was a result of not liking the person I saw in the mirror. I cried for like two hours and laid in bed (because that’s going to help me like myself>rolling my eyes). My boyfriend’s response was that he wishes that I could see what he see’s and that I deserve to think the world of myself, that there are a lot of people who do think highly of themselves and shouldn’t and I was not one of these people.
    I use to take medication and then totally stopped. One of the medications that they put me on made me a complete *kitten* and then they wanted to put me on valium. I thought that was ridiculous. I decided to stop because my family has a long line of addiction issues with both drugs and alcohol and I did not want to put myself more at risk.
    There are days where I love myself and wake up and think I am the most awesome person out there and then there are others where I just want to crawl back into bed and hope the world forgets about me. I will probably always have issues with myself and my body but hopefully it will get better.

10 Facts Every Woman Should Know

1. Everyone has rolls when they bend over.
    2. When someone tells you that you're beautiful, believe them. They aren't lying.
    3. Sometimes we all wake up with breath that could kill a goat.
    4. For every woman unhappy with her stretch marks is another woman who wishes she had them.
    5. You should definitely have more confidence. And if you saw yourself the way others see you, you would.
    6. Don't look for a man to save you. Be able to save yourself.
    7. It's okay to not love every part of your body....but you should.
    8. We all have that one friend who seems to have it all together. That woman with the seemingly perfect life. Well, you might be that woman to someone else.
    9. You should be a priority. Not an option, a last resort, or a backup plan.
    10. You're a woman. That alone makes you pretty damn remarkable.
    -Austin Blood
  • rhonda6375
    rhonda6375 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do suffer from depression as well a particularly difficult the last 2 weeks. I am on medication, but that does not fix it 100%. I have had to make myself exercise sometimes twice a day because that really does help. Easier said than done I know. I was crying one night before I went into the gym but felt better after the workout.
  • emilyvictoria7
    emilyvictoria7 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Been depressed I'd say about the last three years. I have some pretty wicked anxiety along with it. For about 9 months I tried zoloft, then cipralex, paired it with wellbutrin, then took the wellbutrin alone. Nothing seemed to really do it, so I gave up.

Recently I've been thinking about going back on it, and they're suggesting Prozac. My psychiatrist is actually thinking that I may have a personality based disorder paired with the depression, but I'm not sure I'm ready to go down that road. Long story short, yes, I feel you, and the hardest part of depression for me is my body sometimes feels like cement. My partner and I joke it's "house gravity" where you can't leave the house, but you also can't leave the couch/bed.

Trying hard right now, and feeling good about some of the current changes I've made.
  • kdogni
    kdogni Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I got hit with depression and anxiety last year. It took me 8 months to battle it. I was on meds and i ended up losing my interest in fitness, friends and had to take time off work.
    But I have got through it. So you guys are more than welcome to add me!
    Time to grow folks ☺
  • MeganD_96
    MeganD_96 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I've been suffering from depression, anxiety and Emotional Instability Personality Disorder and severe anger problems for a number of years now mainly because of my childhood and there are some days where I struggle to get out of bed and do a workout but I try and push myself. My doctors are refusing to put me on meds (I don't know why) but I just want something to help me rather than me self harming when I need a release. Must admit I have been slightly better since losing weight.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    hi, there is also this thread for people with depression and anxiety
  • Kenda2427
    Kenda2427 Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    I also suffer from depression and social anxiety from many years and I am currently on Prestique for it. I have tried many different ones over the years. Effexor I found quite helpful. I tried Abilify for awhile because although my depression was managed I just feel blah, no energy no motivation no nothing. But it didn't help and put weight on. So I went off that and have really been focusing on myself and my health. Doing much better lately but we all know its cyclical.

Exercise does help as well as healthy eating. When we binge on our comfort food then we feel guilt then eat again and its a vicious circle. There are many of us here to help one another.
  • FunFattie
    FunFattie Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    Always an excuse. I don't buy it.

wow. that's just rude.
    i don't think anyone here is looking for an excuse, rather support.
    maybe save your judgement.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    OP says she is loner.. Oh boy.. this must stem from the "depression"..

I do not know what to say except, depression is real, but there is a time when "you" the person inside you, has to make a stand and not allow the crazy things in the mind take over. It may be baby steps, just get up and walk around or choose to put back "that thing" you should not have or will not log on your diary.. and just make an effort..

If you keep doing the same things you always have been doing, do not expect different results... Not being snarky just giving some tough love from someone that has pulled her self from the depths of hell once upon a time in my life time...