Cottage Cheese...

Options

Replies

• distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese may as well be dessert as much as I love it! I will always think tomato goes best with it.
  • tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    See and the thought of putting in Lasagna make me want to gag.. so funny

Ricotta goes into Lasagna NOT cottage cheese.. lol
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    tracefan wrote: »
    In all honesty.. I loved it. I felt like I was eating rice pudding. HOOOOO RAY

But..but...what if I hate rice pudding too??

Good for you for learning to eat something you previously gagged on. Me, I have to leave the room when my husband eats cottage cheese. (However, I will put it into lasagna. No probs there.)

• jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I loathe the stuff with a passion. I love all cheese except cottage cheese (and I do hate rice pudding as well actually!). My husband eats tons of it and I call it 'feet cheese'
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options

Good for you for learning to eat something you previously gagged on. Me, I have to leave the room when my husband eats cottage cheese. (However, I will put it into lasagna. No probs there.)

Mmmm, love ricotta in lasagna too. Just made some this week!

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    Talan79 wrote: »
    I like the brand Lucerne, 1%, no salt added. I eat it daily.

This is my favorite as well.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I love it, but to me it's a savory food, and mixing it with sweet things is unappealing to me. (And I love it plain.)

That said, happy for you that you found something that works for you!

This might be key for me. I tried it once again as an adult a year or so ago and it had strawberry puree and I threw it right up. Texture mixed with the flavor combo was no good for me. I'm not brave enough to try again yet, but going for savory will be the route I try IF I try again.
  • saltysurf6
    saltysurf6 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    brb_2013 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I love it, but to me it's a savory food, and mixing it with sweet things is unappealing to me. (And I love it plain.)

That said, happy for you that you found something that works for you!

This might be key for me. I tried it once again as an adult a year or so ago and it had strawberry puree and I threw it right up. Texture mixed with the flavor combo was no good for me. I'm not brave enough to try again yet, but going for savory will be the route I try IF I try again.

I'm right there with you. I love cottage cheese, but I have never been able to stomach it paired with anything sweet. My favorite match for it? Pickled beets.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options

I like it in my Lasagna dang it! Cottage cheese is very tart and I find that it cuts down on the sweetest of tomato sauce from a jar.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

#WhyNotBoth?
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i dont know if i have even had cottage cheese in my adult life.. i literally love any and all dairy products and cheeses. No idea why im so scared haha. maybe the texture but i always chicken out.
  • toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I just found a new brand that has blueberries and chia seeds in it...yum.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    If you dont like the texture, you can always whiz it in the blender or food processor and then its a lot like yogurt or sour cream. you can then spice it up or sweeten it up, and use it lots of different ways! You can whiz it with fruit like a smoothie, and adjust the taste with whatever you use as a sweetener.
  • tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    This thread is cracking me up... I finally like CC with the darn fruit and then some of these ideas are just making me gag again.. LOL SO FUNNY
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,637 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese is really good with pineapple too.

• kristen_wino
    kristen_wino Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I add seasong to mine, dried dill, OR...cayanne pepper. And diced cucumber. It's filling and refreshing.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I like it with pepper and/or green onions.
  • nicoleaprilhardcastle
    Options
    My breakfast every day, cottage cheese and strawberries. Now eggs, that something that makes me gag!
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Chives. Pepper. Nom.
    The cucumber is interesting... almost tzaziki like. WILL TRY.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    i dont know if i have even had cottage cheese in my adult life.. i literally love any and all dairy products and cheeses. No idea why im so scared haha. maybe the texture but i always chicken out.

The texture is really one of my favorite things about it, at least the brands I enjoy. Mixed together I doubt I'd like it.
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I like the texture. If you don't, then buy a small container and see if you like the texture better after rinsing in the strainer and drying with paper towels. Use it as a protein boost in wraps and salads similar to feta, but at a much lower cost per ounce.