Anemia....

Options
So I got my blood test back, and the doctor said I have developed anemia..
Anyone else deal with this???

I don't know how to fix it.
I am looking for friends who are healthy and can help me.
-Tyson

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Lots of iron and B12 based foods. Liver, pate, apricots, she'll fish.
    Did they not prescribe you a supplement? You can buy it over the counter.
  • TysonKing9901
    TysonKing9901 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    OK thank you!
    No they didn't give me anything
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    #anemics unite!
    My doc diagnosed me with it and initially assessed my diet. I'd try that course before supplements if the doc didn't recommend it.
    Try pairing iron rich foods with orange juice - it will help your body absorb it. Try avoiding milk right around the same time as the iron rich foods - it can deter the absorption.
    Keep an eye on you blood work, go back in a couple months to reassess. It could be a sign of something more serious or they might go to the supplement route too.

I get to take three little green pills a day!
  • alp_19
    alp_19 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I deal with anemia on and off - it's just something you have to keep up with. Iron supplements can help but don't take too high of a dosage and don't take on an empty stomach (otherwise it'll make you feel sick). I personally prefer to focus on eating enough iron in my diet because I figure if it's low that means I'm not eating enough/healthy enough. But sometimes I'll take the supplements for a few weeks as well.

Lentils and beans are a great non-meat source of iron. Same with spinach and other leafy greens. Then of course meats and fish. I'm pretty sure myfitnesspal can track iron as well so you could get an idea of where you currently are and actively try to increase your levels. You may find that you've been iron deficient for a while and that fixing it gives you much more energy. There were a few months when it was really bad where I was falling asleep early every night and I just couldn't stay awake. That doesn't happen often anymore luckily. Good luck :)
  • forwardmoving
    forwardmoving Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    You can have anemia for a number of reasons ;e.g. you're bleeding, your body is either destroying red cells, or just not making enough. And those reasons can have different causes.
    You need to go back to your doctor to find out the best treatment for you.
  • motterotter
    motterotter Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    did you get any more testing done
    Are you on a vegan diet or a special diet
    Call your dr and ask them what they recommend for you
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I ended up in the hospital quite a few years back, and was found to be severally anemic. I'm genetically predisposed (one side of my family have all struggled with it). That being said, I changed my tracking to show iron as one of the main things I track, and when I need a supplement (if my food intake was sufficient) I take Garden of Life Vitamin Code Healthy Blood. I usually dont need it (I eat tons of leafy greens :smile: ) but I've found it to be the most agreeable iron supplement for my body. No nausea at all, and it includes B vitamins.
  • kfm6
    kfm6 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hi Tyson,

I'm on here trying to lose due to type 2 diabetes. Friend me if you want to provide mutual support.

Kevin
  • motterotter
    motterotter Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Fyi the iron thats best absorbed by the body is iron from animal protein or heme iron even though other foods have iron its not so well absorbed
    If your iron is low take an iron supplement with vitamin c such as orange juice to swallow your pill with it will help absorption
    Are u a woman and if so are your periods heavier ? That may be something you want checked out too