Healthy Eaters Needed Please. Advice welcome :)

Options
Hi, Ive been a member here for a long time. The most Ive lost is 45 lbs, but my motivation leaned towards looking good instead of being healthy really. Now, my motivation is solely dependent on getting healthy. Before, I believed I could eat whatever I wanted as long as I stayed within my calorie goal. I still believe that because Ive done that. BUT, I can't think like that anymore because my health has really taken a toll downward. I'm actually scared. My cholesterol is sky high. Im on BP meds, Cholesterol meds and my sugar was alittle high too. I'm praying I don't have to be put on diabetic meds. I will find out this week. I am almost 45 yrs old. My husband passed away from a massive heart attack at age 48. I am remarried now and luckily my hubby is changing his eating too. It's sooooo much harder being in a relationship and having to change my eating by myself. You know, like having to keep unhealthy food in the house for the other person. Now, I have gotten rid of the junk.

So anyway, I have to eat healthy fats and lower the bad fats and salt and sugar. I am not ridding myself of any food group. So, I am looking for some more friends with similar eating goals. Please see my profile and add me if you have room for another friend. I am needing friends with viewable diaries please. Mine is also viewable. I am 5'2 and weigh 207 lbs. Yes I am putting all my business out there lol! Why not? This is a weightloss site so no use in hiding anything. Sorry, if I rambled :blush: Oh and I am on day 2 of healthy eating. It's amazing how much food I can eat when it's healthy. I have not met my calorie goal of 1400 cals the last 2 days, and I know I need to. I will probably add almonds to get my cals up some. Thanks for reading and please add me if you can.

I set my macros at 40% carbs 30% fats 30% protein on a 1400 cal diet. Is this 30% fat intake good for cholesterol control?

Replies

• trevnik3bys
    trevnik3bys Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi there!!! Just sent you a friend request.
  • Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    great, thx!
  • Sandytoes71
    Options
    Bump
  • anabellasd
    anabellasd Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Heey I've started my fitness process a year ago wanting to burn fat and build lean muscle... Although it was hard i did make it happen, unfortunately I have always been a little bit lost when it comes to my nutrition cause I don't have a coach, i need help! I'm only able to workout twice a week so my diet has to do a lot of the work!! Recently i have tried to convince my mom to get me a whey protein ( I'm 15 so she doesn't like me to have anything) but it's getting really hard to remain "skinny" as I mainly consume carbs. One of the things that I have been dreaming since ages ago is to have abs but honestly I don't know what to do to reach them.
  • anabellasd
    anabellasd Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Any help?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    anabellasd wrote: »
    Heey I've started my fitness process a year ago wanting to burn fat and build lean muscle... Although it was hard i did make it happen, unfortunately I have always been a little bit lost when it comes to my nutrition cause I don't have a coach, i need help! I'm only able to workout twice a week so my diet has to do a lot of the work!! Recently i have tried to convince my mom to get me a whey protein ( I'm 15 so she doesn't like me to have anything) but it's getting really hard to remain "skinny" as I mainly consume carbs. One of the things that I have been dreaming since ages ago is to have abs but honestly I don't know what to do to reach them.

Get off this site, it is not for teenagers. And talk to your parents about how you feel.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Whey protein is not suitable for under18s.
  • OblasMummy
    OblasMummy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I'm prediabetic after two pregnancies with diabetes. I eat healthily 80% of the time. I don't cut out any food groups but I do limit bread, pasta etc my diary is open and I hope it helps x
  • elly_f
    elly_f Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hi Sandytoes, what sort of food are you eating? There's lots out there that people *think* are healthy, but are actually not. For example, a lot of "diet plans" will tell you not to eat nuts because they are high in fat, but the fat from nuts is really good for you. Or you may hear to avoid eggs because they contain cholesterol - but eggs are fine on a low cholesterol diet because they contain very little saturated fat.

Meat fats, dairy fats and coconut oil have A LOT of saturated fat in, and it is (usually) these that you want to limit when trying to lower your cholesterol. There is a bit more to it than that because it also depends on how the fat is broken down into things such as palmitic, lauric, oleic acids etc, but it is a good rule of thumb. Fats such as olive oil, or avocado oil are good - your body needs a certain amount of fat to function.

Another way to lower cholesterol is to try to make sure you are getting a good amount of soluble fibre each day. Eat a portion of pulses (beans, chickpeas, lentils); a handful of nuts; fruit and veg (eg sweet potato, cabbage, apple, broccoli); and importantly oats (which are great at filling you and at lowering cholesterol) in some form every day if you can. Usefully, these are all low GI foods which release sugar into your blood more slowly. This makes you feel fuller for longer and is good for controlling diabetes.

If you find yourself hungry between meals, weigh out some nuts (I always weigh them or I eat the whole bag!), a couple of oatcakes, or grab a couple of dates or prunes for a sweet treat. Make sure you don't just chuck them in your mouth, take your time and eat slowly - you will feel much fuller if you do. Try to cut out or cut down on sugar added to tea or coffee, sugary drinks, processed foods branding themselves as weightloss products (usually full of sugar).

Finally, drink plenty of water. A lot of the time we think we are hungry when really we are thirsty. You can get an app for your phone to remind you to drink (I know it sounds silly, but it is a really simple thing to forget to do!).

I hope this has been of some help to you, I know you probably know all these things already, but please feel free to send a friend request. I'm vegetarian and currently just calorie counting because I got mad that I couldn't do a low carb diet (nearly all vegetarian proteins have carbs). Soon enough I'll get back to eating healthily lol.

Elly.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Hi, Ive been a member here for a long time. The most Ive lost is 45 lbs, but my motivation leaned towards looking good instead of being healthy really. Now, my motivation is solely dependent on getting healthy. Before, I believed I could eat whatever I wanted as long as I stayed within my calorie goal. I still believe that because Ive done that. BUT, I can't think like that anymore because my health has really taken a toll downward. I'm actually scared. My cholesterol is sky high. Im on BP meds, Cholesterol meds and my sugar was alittle high too. I'm praying I don't have to be put on diabetic meds. I will find out this week. I am almost 45 yrs old. My husband passed away from a massive heart attack at age 48. I am remarried now and luckily my hubby is changing his eating too. It's sooooo much harder being in a relationship and having to change my eating by myself. You know, like having to keep unhealthy food in the house for the other person. Now, I have gotten rid of the junk.

So anyway, I have to eat healthy fats and lower the bad fats and salt and sugar. I am not ridding myself of any food group. So, I am looking for some more friends with similar eating goals. Please see my profile and add me if you have room for another friend. I am needing friends with viewable diaries please. Mine is also viewable. I am 5'2 and weigh 207 lbs. Yes I am putting all my business out there lol! Why not? This is a weightloss site so no use in hiding anything. Sorry, if I rambled :blush: Oh and I am on day 2 of healthy eating. It's amazing how much food I can eat when it's healthy. I have not met my calorie goal of 1400 cals the last 2 days, and I know I need to. I will probably add almonds to get my cals up some. Thanks for reading and please add me if you can.

I set my macros at 40% carbs 30% fats 30% protein on a 1400 cal diet. Is this 30% fat intake good for cholesterol control?

First you need to lose weight, and a calorie deficit will get you there, no matter what you eat.
    Second you need to increase physical activity. Check with your dr to see what is safe. Usually walking is a good start.
    For blood pressure, you need to eliminate salt. As in, do not even buy salt ever again and check labels on everything for sodium. Many processed goods, from canned vegetables to sauces etc, have added sodium and should be avoided. Same goes for anything that tastes obviously salty: many cheeses, deli meats, obviously things like chips, salted nuts etc.
    At first things will not taste good. Do not panic. You will get used to it after a few weeks. Herbs, spices, lemon juice and vinegar are your friends to improve taste.
    For lowering cholesterol the usual guidelines are to increase fiber (whole grains, vegetables, fruit), lower saturated fats (try to cook with olive oil if you can, plus get fat from nuts, avocados etc), try to eat fish over red meat as much as possible (at least twice per week, and try to buy fatty fish), avoid fried food, avoid trans fat (partially hydrogenated vegetable oil), avoid palm oil (which unfortunately is literally in every packaged box of biscuits, cookies, cake, pastries, bread etc) and again, exercise.
  • 88meli88
    88meli88 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Hi there. You are welcome to add me. I love cooking healthy wholesome foods. You can definitely improve all your health stats and insulin response by changing your eating habits and adding super high intensity exercise into your routine (over time when you are ready)

Easiest thing to do is to get rid of all your white flour staples like rice, pasta, and bread and replace it all w whole wheat pasta and bread (but track it carefully), grains like brown rice, buckwheat, and quinoa. I combine these with grilled meat and fish, and sauteed greens. These are the basics that I play around with for healthy meals for the family. I say this is the easiest bc this is just a substitution.

Then, if you are serious, eliminate added sugars from your coffee, tea, oatmeal etc. No more soft-drinks (I even recommend cutting diet sodas b/c they keep your taste dialed on sweet). No juices unless you squeeze yourself. No sweets unless it is a well tracked treat.

You don't need to make it more complicated. You can totally do it. Do add me, I am always happy to have new friends.
  • Sandytoes71
    Options
    Hi, thanks for your advice. I researched eggs and cholesterol and I will be eating eggs, nuts, and avocado. I like veggies a lot so I am eating many of them. Trying to use olive oil when oil is needed for something. I have olive oil dressing I eat. This is just so different from just trying to lose weight to look better. It's a different ball game. I have stopped drinking diet coke as that is all I drank. I haven't made it to plain water yet, but have compromised for now with tea sweetened with splenda. Hopefully this is at least better than diet coke? I think I'm on the right track. Not gonna be perfect at first, but as time goes by, this will get easier I'm sure. Thanks again!

elly_f wrote: »
    Hi Sandytoes, what sort of food are you eating? There's lots out there that people *think* are healthy, but are actually not. For example, a lot of "diet plans" will tell you not to eat nuts because they are high in fat, but the fat from nuts is really good for you. Or you may hear to avoid eggs because they contain cholesterol - but eggs are fine on a low cholesterol diet because they contain very little saturated fat.

Meat fats, dairy fats and coconut oil have A LOT of saturated fat in, and it is (usually) these that you want to limit when trying to lower your cholesterol. There is a bit more to it than that because it also depends on how the fat is broken down into things such as palmitic, lauric, oleic acids etc, but it is a good rule of thumb. Fats such as olive oil, or avocado oil are good - your body needs a certain amount of fat to function.

Another way to lower cholesterol is to try to make sure you are getting a good amount of soluble fibre each day. Eat a portion of pulses (beans, chickpeas, lentils); a handful of nuts; fruit and veg (eg sweet potato, cabbage, apple, broccoli); and importantly oats (which are great at filling you and at lowering cholesterol) in some form every day if you can. Usefully, these are all low GI foods which release sugar into your blood more slowly. This makes you feel fuller for longer and is good for controlling diabetes.

If you find yourself hungry between meals, weigh out some nuts (I always weigh them or I eat the whole bag!), a couple of oatcakes, or grab a couple of dates or prunes for a sweet treat. Make sure you don't just chuck them in your mouth, take your time and eat slowly - you will feel much fuller if you do. Try to cut out or cut down on sugar added to tea or coffee, sugary drinks, processed foods branding themselves as weightloss products (usually full of sugar).

Finally, drink plenty of water. A lot of the time we think we are hungry when really we are thirsty. You can get an app for your phone to remind you to drink (I know it sounds silly, but it is a really simple thing to forget to do!).

I hope this has been of some help to you, I know you probably know all these things already, but please feel free to send a friend request. I'm vegetarian and currently just calorie counting because I got mad that I couldn't do a low carb diet (nearly all vegetarian proteins have carbs). Soon enough I'll get back to eating healthily lol.

Elly.

• Sandytoes71
    Options
    Ok, funny you mentioned salt........it does panic me to think about giving it up. But, I know it is HORRIBLE for me. I do want to work on my salt issue, but I don't know if I can eliminate it right now. I love spice on my food but I usually stick to a salty creole spice. I will have to research how to use different spices. And by eating better, some of my salt intake will naturally lessen. It is on my radar tho, and I will be pondering how to do this. And yes, Ive got to get moving more. Walking is probably what I will be doing. I got my exercise bike out of storage, but I can't find the darn power cord :(. When I lost weight before, I was mostly using the bike. I may see if I can order one online. Thanks again!

First you need to lose weight, and a calorie deficit will get you there, no matter what you eat.
    Second you need to increase physical activity. Check with your dr to see what is safe. Usually walking is a good start.
    For blood pressure, you need to eliminate salt. As in, do not even buy salt ever again and check labels on everything for sodium. Many processed goods, from canned vegetables to sauces etc, have added sodium and should be avoided. Same goes for anything that tastes obviously salty: many cheeses, deli meats, obviously things like chips, salted nuts etc.
    At first things will not taste good. Do not panic. You will get used to it after a few weeks. Herbs, spices, lemon juice and vinegar are your friends to improve taste.
    For lowering cholesterol the usual guidelines are to increase fiber (whole grains, vegetables, fruit), lower saturated fats (try to cook with olive oil if you can, plus get fat from nuts, avocados etc), try to eat fish over red meat as much as possible (at least twice per week, and try to buy fatty fish), avoid fried food, avoid trans fat (partially hydrogenated vegetable oil), avoid palm oil (which unfortunately is literally in every packaged box of biscuits, cookies, cake, pastries, bread etc) and again, exercise. [/quote]

• cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Whey protein is not suitable for under18s.

Why not? Whey protein is a milk product. I don't think it's going to hurt them. My 12 and 13 year olds regularly share my Greek yogurt/protein powder ice cream and we mix whey protein into oatmeal. Is there an actual health reason I shouldn't allow them to have these?