I feel compelled to log everything. Does anyone have "logging fatigue"?

Options
It's funny. For the first time in my life I feel complete freedom to eat whatever I want. When I want a salad, I eat one. When I want chocolate peanut butter cup cheesecake brownies, I eat those. No more low-fat, low-carb, etc., etc. But the corollary is now I am scared if I don't log, I may gain again.

I'm basically at goal, with a BMI of around 24, been bouncing around the upper 180s for awhile now (I have MFP set at a 0.5 rate of loss per week, but that seems to just keep me at maintainence based on how I estimate my food).

I work out every day (walking and biking). Someday I'll get back into strength training, but I don't feel any huge pressure right now.

But I just wanted to comment on the whole logging thing. I find it's interesting how some MFP-ers during the holidays would get into holiday pig-out mode (I did too) but instead of logging everything, they would say, "I'm taking a break from logging, because I'm on vacation."

I figure whether I go over my calories or not, I *have* to log. The only thing that got me to where I am now is the awareness that daily calorie counting brought me.

The only question is - how long do I keep this up? I confess, I'm feeling a little bit of "counting fatigue" just starting to creep in.

Can anyone relate?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yes but for me it's totally worth the inconvenience. When I'm too lazy I just do quick calories though.
  • jodidari
    jodidari Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I feel you, i recently stopped logging for about a month. I was just tired of logging but i kept a mental note so i wouldn't go way over board. I just started back today but i'm not pressuring myself, i'll do quick calories if i'm too lazy to find the food
  • vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I DETEST logging, but i do it daily anyway. only because i like seeing the # of days i've logged going up. I am HORRIBLE at portions, and the plan i am following doesn't require me to log. but i just like seeing that streak # going up.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it off and on for 5 years now. Every time I'm off, I gain weight. Pre-logging makes everything easier, that way I'm not logging all day long every day.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    When your eating habits are completely mindless, when you don't have to think, "how many calories did I eat today?" but can basically look at what you ate and say "Yeah, I'm in range", you're probably safe to stop logging. And it kind of sounds to me like you're there. If you feel yourself sliding, you can always start again.

I was a dancer for years, on a pretty strict fitness schedule, and after my first year in dance troupe, I didn't have to think about calories. I knew how much I'd eaten, and whether or not I was out of bounds or within range.
    After my back injury, all of that changed. I was still not counting, but I was eating more and moving less for far too long. I'm hoping to once more get back to that state of fitness and awareness.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I haven't been logging regularly since sometime around September or October. I hit goal and continued to log for about a year and then a bunch of stuff came up in life and it was really hard to log so I stopped. I haven't gained any weight, in fact I lost a couple of pounds (mostly from stress and not eating). I've continued with my workouts and have managed to lose a few inches. Just remember if you stop logging, you still have to continue to do the things that helped you to lose weight to begin with.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I pre-log. Super quick and easy. I do log everything I eat except on special occasions - which are fewer than ten days per year.
  • bkstein40
    bkstein40 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Since I hit maintenance I am almost afraid to quit logging. I also have yet to find my middle ground to stop loosing and to actually be in a maintenance mode of where I stay within my range. I call this my lifestyle change I figure I spend time looking at my FB wall everyday, I can spend a few minutes logging my calories in MFP. Also by logging through out the day, breakfast, lunch & snacks it gives me a better idea of what I can have for dinner.
  • lululapagaille
    lululapagaille Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    DrEnalg wrote: »
    It's funny. For the first time in my life I feel complete freedom to eat whatever I want. When I want a salad, I eat one. When I want chocolate peanut butter cup cheesecake brownies, I eat those. No more low-fat, low-carb, etc., etc. But the corollary is now I am scared if I don't log, I may gain again.

The only question is - how long do I keep this up? I confess, I'm feeling a little bit of "counting fatigue" just starting to creep in.

Can anyone relate?

YES !! I'm not ready to stop logging yet but sometimes it annoys me so much !
  • slheddlesten
    slheddlesten Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I like logging it keeps me on track and opens my eyes to a better way of eating instead of going to the comfort foods and bad bad habits. I have learned to spread my calories over a 24 hour cycle instead of a sleep-wake cycle. That has helped with the fatigue.
  • DoneWorking
    DoneWorking Posts: 247 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Yes, it's a boring routine, but I have to log. After being in maintenance for a while, I stopped logging and the pounds slowly crept back up. I didn't actually notice it until my clothes started to feel a little snug.
  • krdews
    krdews Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I can definitely relate, I was diligent before goal and I let up for a bit during the holidays - just became less of priority (and I gained a few). But I've come to realize, the logging/posting keeps it in the forefront instead of the background and that is what works for me.
  • AliceA2013
    AliceA2013 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I think you have to do what you have to do to be fit and healthy. If you can achieve your goals without logging, then you don't need to log. If you find you start derailing when you don't log, then it would make sense to keep at it for a little longer. It's all about finding what helps. Personally, I have found that it helps me to log for a while every couple of years. I start doing it almost as soon as my target weight range begins to shift to the upper limit. The rest of the time, and after all that logging, you get a pretty good idea of what healthy eating is like. Some people call it just being "calorie aware".
  • DoneWorking
    DoneWorking Posts: 247 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Without logging, It's too easy to forget something you ate and then blow the day. Same thing with measuring and weighing. What looks like a tablespoon may actually be a teaspoon or a tablespoon and a half. Also, you see things differently each day. What you guestimate one day, may not be the same the next day.
  • YokiLenko
    YokiLenko Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    When I wasn't logging everything in, I was constantly thinking about the calories I consumed (this is one of the reasons I never ate packaged products because it gives you the calorie count right there). MFP taught me to be aware of the foods I ate and I guess it really is a lifestyle change than anything. It's hard to stay on track when you are constantly double checking to stay on your diet.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    vczk2t15 wrote: »
    I DETEST logging, but i do it daily anyway. only because i like seeing the # of days i've logged going up. I am HORRIBLE at portions, and the plan i am following doesn't require me to log. but i just like seeing that streak # going up.

You don't have to log to see your streak going up. You just have to log in to the site.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    You can decide to take a break from logging and come back if it's not working. Or simply plan a week off to give yourself a mental break. I do that once in a while. Just came back from a two month logging hiatus.
  • leodora1
    leodora1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am obsessed with logging but generally when time is of the essence, I don't add veggies.
  • vrojapu
    vrojapu Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Logging is the only thing that helps me self-regulate, so I plan to do it long-term. I pre-log and then do a quick check through at the end of the day to clean up the info (add what else I ate and remove what I didn't), so I've cut down the time I spend doing it to a minimum.

But more than even self-regulation, I think that for me it's a healthy habit because if I pre-log, I stay aware when I stray from the planned food intake and try to minimize it, which I wouldn't otherwise.
  • motterotter
    motterotter Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Totally have logging fatigue i come onto the forums to give myself a reason to log on to mfp and this forces me to log food