wait, another post about protein?.......

Options
I know there are ALOT of posts about protein on here, I searched through alot but didn't find my answer I was looking for. I'm starting a decent strength training workout and I know protein is a key factor with things like that.....only issue is. I can't find a protein shake that isn't expensive (I'm cheap I know and 30 for a container just seems too much for me =() I don't eat meat (not a vegetarian, just never liked it taste/texture) and I can't stand seafood. I drink Boost high protein shake each morning but it doesn't give me near enough, so i'm wondering anyone have any ideas? Pill supplements maybe?

I'm really not looking for anyone to tell me "oh you need meat ", because I'm not going to start now and if people could just respect that please.

Thank you in advance!

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    The issue is not how much it is per container, but how much it is per serving. Figure that out and you will find that they price is not that bad. I purchase a big container of protein powered and it lasts me quite a while.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I get my protein from egg whites, protein powder, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, and slim fast low carb shakes (22 grams of protein)

You can mix cottage cheese in pretty much anything, sub greek yogurt in dips and as mayo.

I pay out the butt for my protein, but I eat less because of it and it tastes good...so it balances :smile:
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    You can eat beans, nuts, there are alot of veggie meats i like to eat. Trader joes has a soy sausage i like. Its called Gimme Lean Sausage. I eat it in my egg whites in the morning... Also for extra protein you can eat a boiled egg as a snack. lots of protein there..
    Also at trader joes soy chorizo..(spanish sausage) it has some fat in it but is great in low carb wraps or quesadillas with black beans and i even put in in my egg whites for breakfast.
    morning star has chicken patties that are also soy.. love them... they have lots off items too.. veggue sausage patties as well..

hope this helps... =)
  • megansprague
    Options
    Chocolate milk? I'm having this same issue, finding good yummy protein for my post-workout boost. You could try Special K protein shakes. I bought those and tried one today--not great but I could make myself like them since there's four in a pack. I bought Hood Simply Smart Fat Free Chocolate Milk.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Boil or soak lentils. They have stellar protein and fiber with little-to-no sugar.
    I also eat canned sodium-free chickpeas when in a hurry.
    Other ideas:
    -Greek yogurt
    -Nuts & seeds (or nut butters)
    -Soymilk (unsweetened: 1g of protein per 10 calories... so 9 grams in 90 calories or 1 cup)
    -Kashi GoLean (the original has excellent protein and fiber)
    -edamame (dried, boiled, whole, however-you-want-it)
    -tofu (silken tofu is good for smoothies)

For shakes, you can add greek yogurt and nut butters to boost the protein content.
    Some high-protein vegetables are broccoli and kale.
    For a snack, dollop some hummus on kale leaves and wrap it up. Also nut butter on bananas or apples.

Hope something here helped!
  • acave9406
    acave9406 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! gave me some good ideas i'll be trying out :flowerforyou:
  • lizzil0
    lizzil0 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    What about using a carton of pasteurized egg whites as an add in in smoothies? That'd turn it into a protein shake.

Edited- maybe not a whole carton, just a few eggs worth- is what I meant.