Net Carbs

Options
Is there a way to get this app to show net carbs in addition to total carbs?

Replies

• truelight_photo_craig
    Options
    Isn't it just basic math?
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    No, it's not that advanced. It get's kinda tricky too, because you should only subtract insoluble fiber, not soluble fiber which is actually digested. :)
  • SciranBG
    SciranBG Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Isn't it just basic math?

So is counting calories and macros, yet here we are on a forum for an app that does just that.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Not on the app but there are 3rd party add ins to the Web version.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    This is the one I use, it's really simple to download. Check out my diary if you want to see what it looks like.

http://www.travelinglowcarb.com/4448/myfitnesspal-hack/
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I track fiber and sugar, no idea why people suggest dropping sugar.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    This is the one I use, it's really simple to download. Check out my diary if you want to see what it looks like.

http://www.travelinglowcarb.com/4448/myfitnesspal-hack/

@Christine_72 You work out net carbs? You know that Australian labels already show net carbs, right? It's only really relevant for USA labels which include fiber as a sub-heading of carbs. Aussie labels list fibre separately and thus the carbs listed are already net.

This is a UK to US comparison but is the same for Australia (unfortunately the serving amounts aren't the same, due to US labels not showing amount per 100g but it's sufficient for illustrations sake) . You are likely eating far more carbs than you think if you're applying a net carb calculation to Australian entries:

image.axd?picture=%2F2013%2F11%2FFiberComparison.jpg
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    @Alatariel75 Thanks for bringing that up. Most of my carbs come from fruit,veg for which i use usda data base entries, and milk and chia seeds. I don't eat much processed ready made stuff so hopefully I'm not too far off.
    I also keep a close eye on total carbs, and try and keep those under 100g (when I'm good).
  • Mahnie1973
    Mahnie1973 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    that hack is only good for desktop tho, not app
  • Mahnie1973
    Mahnie1973 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Keto diets are VERY popular and - just like you can choose a setting option to add exercise calories to your daily total - there should be an option to subtract fiber from your daily carb count. This is a no-brainer for MyFitnessPal and I don't understand why it hasn't already been done??