I want start running!

Options
Hi there, I've been on this site on and off but I'm hoping that this time around this will work out. I need to loose about 100 lbs, but I really would love to become a runner. Any motivation, tips, help, advice etc is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• KimberleyWilson2
    KimberleyWilson2 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have a little over 100 lbs to lose as well. I used the C25K program with a lot of success. I was up to jogging two miles a day. I'm pregnant now and keeping it to walking but once I'm healed and have the go ahead after my daughter is born I'll be back to jogging. There are so many fun 5K's that can be a great motivation to get going. I know here in AZ there's a zombie one in November that I'm going to shoot for. The key is to pick a routine/program and stick with it. Be consistent and have rewards set up for reaching milestones. I know for me, I have my clothes and shoes ready the night before so that when my alarm goes off at 445 am I just get up, go potty, get dressed and head out the door to the gym before I've really had time to think about it. The longer I lay in bed the more likely I will talk myself out of getting up. Plus, my gym has these amazing massage chairs that I use after my workout and then I get a small coffee on the way home. Those are my rewards for getting up and getting going.
  • timmsyc
    timmsyc Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi. I started running around 2 years ago. I would start with the couch to 5k programme. Just a warning though when you first start it hurts. It's easy to give up. I remember those early days being horrendous but I stuck with it. I'm now in training for my first marathon. Bonus is I've also kept my weight stable. I can't imagine ever not running now. Good luck.
  • ARuby75
    ARuby75 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm starting the couch25k tomorrow I expect it will be slow going to start but hopefully it will get easier I used to love running when I was a teenager many moons ago
  • vara123
    vara123 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Find some shoes that are comfortable (and a good sports bra), and just go for it! Depending on your fitness, and how you find it, start out with walk-run intervals until you get used to it (couch to 5k can be helpful for that as others have recommended). Set yourself do-able goals - don't make the mistake of going all out on your very first run and putting yourself off/hurting yourself. You'll soon find yourself able to run for longer and longer periods. Depending on how heavy you are, don't push things too much to begin with (you want to look after your knees!). I started as a total novice. I tried C25K myself, listened to the first few, but then just went for it myself (and with my own choice of music!). I'm not that fast, and still need to lose about another 20lbs but I love it, it's addictive. I tend to do fairly short distances quite regularly (3-4km maybe 2-3 times a week). I recently started trail running, which is just awesome - the muddier, the better!
  • DefyGravity1977
    DefyGravity1977 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I started running in 2012. Couch to 5K is an amazing program and like timmsyc stated it hurts when you first start. Many times I wanted to quit and did. Start slow, maybe walking 30 minutes a day, and slowly increase your speed. Work on your endurance first and then build on from there. I started barely able to walk 2 miles in an hour and now am running 4.5 miles in that same time. Also, don't fall for the misconception that bigger gals and guys can't run. There have been many 5K's that I have ran that have bigger folks running or walking. One day at a time.
  • johanna709
    johanna709 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    What is the couch to 5k program?
  • 1992fx3
    1992fx3 Posts: 35 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    johanna709 wrote: »
    What is the couch to 5k program?

It's a program that eases you in to running over several weeks; lot's of C25K programs out there on the internet. I use the one from RunDouble.
  • vara123
    vara123 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    A series of podcasts you download, and then listen to while you run. I think they about half an hour each, and they tell you when to walk or run and help you maintain your pace with music. Over the series, you end up going from not being a runner at all (couch) to being able to run 5k. There is a link to the ones download-able in the UK here: http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx but I think they are also available through app store, etc.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    The best thing I have ever seen to help with getting started running is this:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1217573/so-you-want-to-start-running/p1
  • johanna709
    Options
    Great. Thank you.
  • tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I started running about 3 years ago. It's the best thing I ever did. You have to start slowly and this is my best advice. You may run 1/2 a mile at first.. ok great.. but every time you can go more and more. No need to run a marathon but you'll see how your own body responds. It helped me to lose inches and gave me so much energy. Good luck OH AND MAKE SURE YOU HAVE GOOD RUNNING SHOES. spend the $$$
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I started running last year, I love it. I started out at almost 240 lbs so it was hard at first. I did the Couch to 5k program, but had to repeat a couple of weeks and even went back a week once. The program works though. I also like the Zombies, Run 5K app. A little less structured than C25K. I now listen to the regular Zombies, Run app while I'm running.

I recommend getting properly fitted for running shoes as well. When I completed the C25K and started running regularly, I ended up getting shin splints. I got fitted for running shoes and haven't had any problems since then. Love my shoes.
  • tjowarren
    tjowarren Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Be patient with yourself. I think a lot of people who try running become discouraged because they want to be able to pick it up and go far but it really does take time to keep building. I started running about 5 years ago and I could barely run 1/4 mile when I started. I just kept building from there and have completed a few long distance races. A lot of running is mental too.... many times I want to quit (my body/legs feel fine) and I have to keep telling myself not to. Good Luck! You can do it!
  • LearnFromTheRed
    LearnFromTheRed Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the shoes.

Also...might sound weird...but at first, slow down. More than that. Even more than that :D
  • HillSlug98239
    HillSlug98239 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I started doing triathlon a few years ago. Nothing lowers my blood pressure like running. I'm 5'6", 175 pounds (I stayed that weight all last summer - training for an endurance event often means you don't lose weight), so I recognize that being heavy creates challenges for beginning runners.

Ease in to it. Don't skimp on shoes or a good sports bra. There are a lot of companies that make fitness wear for large women. I buy most of my athletic wear at thrift stores, though.

Mix in intervals at least once a week. You'll get fitter faster that way. Look at strength training for your feet, ankles, and lower legs - keep them happy, and you'll be running forever. (I recommend "Anatomy for Runners" by Jay Dicharry.)

My most important tip? After each run, I lay on the floor on my back with my rump near the wall and my feet up on the wall. I haven't had shin splints since I started doing this about a half-dozen years ago. It allows you back to relax, too. You can stretch your hamstrings while you're in this position. I do it for at least three minutes, and the difference is amazing.

Don't forget to fuel yourself well. It isn't much of an issue on shorter runs, but once you're running longer and harder, you really need to give your body what it needs to get stronger.

Most important - have fun! Sign up for a local 5K. (If you volunteer at a few first, it'll let you observe and pick up information.) Explore fun new places in your community to run. (Trail running is a great break from the monotony of asphalt, and it helps strengthen your feet & lower legs in a different way.) And start calling yourself a runner. Last summer, my coach told me if at any point in my stride both feet were off the ground, I'm running. A lot of my runs are at an average pace of a little over 4 mph, but I'm a runner.

You never know who you'll end up inspiring.
  • Clobern80
    Clobern80 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the C25K talk. It is amazing. Download the app on your phone and follow it. I did it a few years ago, did a 5k, then another, then another, then started running 10 miles...

It is a great program. Even though I was over 300 pounds.

Hydration is also very important as I am sure has been mentioned.

Beware chafing on your thighs. Some painful stuff. Body Glide (I think it is called) is a great thing to get for that.

And beware the runner's trots.
  • nhhunt
    nhhunt Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Get off the app/phone and get running would be a good tip!!!!
  • smilezishere
    smilezishere Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Some comfy shoes and maybe an assessment on your running stride. Running long distance can be brutal on the knees as with an extra 100 lbs. I'm training my little brother and he's about 60 lbs overweight. I'm having him do weight training and the stationary bike or elliptical for cardio. When he sheds a good amount of weight then I would encourage him to start running. Saves the knees.
  • johanna709
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the comments. Even with just three days of walking/jogging, my psoriasis is doing a lot better.