Noob here! Wish me luck!

Options
AtomicCupcake1
AtomicCupcake1 Posts: 65 Member
edited January 2016 in Getting Started
Hi guys! I'm Ashley, 32, mom of 3 and 2 stepkids, from Arkansas. Just getting started and hoping to lose 43 lbs (lost 4 of that so far), and get my figure back. I'm tired of having a mom butt! Lol! I want to say I'll exercise, but I'll pretty much a couch potato, besides the usual chasing my 11 month old around and running errands all over town. Right now I'm taking it slow... Less eating, watching what I eat, and that's about it. I now have diabetes, as well as other health issues, so I'm just tired of this lifestyle and who I've become. Feel free to add me if you'd like! Any good advice?

Replies

• WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I can say I've never had any luck "watching what I eat," but I've had great success here in the last two months with carefully counting calories and logging every single thing I eat every single day, preferably before I serve it to myself. My experience seems to be pretty common here. So use the site's calorie calculator for your weight and desired loss rate and so forth, and get to logging! It really works. The exercise is optional when it comes to weight loss, though it can make things easier and of course is good for your overall health. On the weight-loss side, though, it's calorie limits that do the trick. Also, lots of people, including my doctor, are completely convinced you can reverse type-2 diabetes with significant weight loss. Bonus, it will be easier to exercise the lighter you get.
  • AtomicCupcake1
    Options
    Awesome! I forget to log my meals, so I'm going to set An alarm for myself and see if that helps. Also, I've found That since being diagnosed with diabetes (first was gestational, then it turned into your 2), it's been easier to count my calories, asI'm trying to keep an eye on carbs.
  • srv524
    srv524 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You can also download the myfitnesspal app and make your entries there. I've learned to associate food with logging so it makes it easier. You can also scan foods from the app and it'll give you the exact nutritional info.
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    If you log your food before you eat it, you'll never forget! I do this so I'll know how to plan the meal and how much to serve myself of each dish. That way I don't run out of my calorie budget before the evening meal. Often I find the meal will work much better if I cut the serving of the main/meat dish in half and leave room for more filling sides. Or I can make room for a treat. If I really, really have a taste for a particular dish, I often find that eating half or even a quarter as much as I had in mind will do just as well.
  • CindyS858
    CindyS858 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am new here too, happy to see how supportive everyone is! Good luck to you!
  • smilezishere
    smilezishere Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear you've had an epiphany to live a healthier lifestyle. The journey is tough but you seem dedicated and motivated enough to stick with it. Running around watching your child and doing errands burns a good amount of calories on its own so cleaning up your diet would be a great start. Counting calories is one thing but surely calories aren't equal. A 500 calorie burger vs a 500 calorie baked salmon, boiled/mashed sweet potatoes, with mixed greens isn't quite the same. Wish you the best and stay focused on your goals =)
  • AtomicCupcake1
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Thanks so much, guys! And welcome, @CindyS858!