Scale Recommendations! Please Help!?

Options
Guys,

What weight loss scale do you recommend to track weight loss? Goodness me!! I have been researching scales in Amazon and went out and bought this "Eat Smart Precision Digital" scale , based on the other consumers ratings. This scale was rated 4.5 stars and I figure it would be precise and provide me with accurate weight, however, this darn thing keeps changing every I step on it. I need a really accurate scale. Can you all recommend a good one? I don't know about these digital ones, I don't think they are very accurate.

Replies

• LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm using the Fitbit Aria I saved up for. Works well for me, and it automatically syncs with MFP and my Fitbit One. While I'm not sure if it's absolutely and perfectly 100% accurate, it weighs me well and gives a nice general guideline as to how I'm doing. I was going to get a different one, but I wasn't as sure of the quality and it was a lower price and a brand I was unsure of. This one I could be sure would be as reliable as I could get. (Although, I've heard good things about Withings products.)
  • AlwaysHopeful33
    AlwaysHopeful33 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for letting me know. I'll look up the FItBit Aria and some of the Withingsproducts. It's cool that the FItBit Aria syncs with MYFP. I'm going to check that out. Thanks again!:)
  • LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    You're welcome. :) There are a number of scales that work with MFP so take time to check out the apps on the apps tab and see which one works best with you and your computers and other systems.
    Keep in mind that your weight does fluctuate throughout the day and changes whenever you consume something or when you relieve yourself or when you wear something different or when you're wearing nothing at all. It may also depend on where you're standing when you step on the scale.
  • erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I have been using the following scale for a few years:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A8SLH8I?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

I go to the doctor 4 times a year for my birth control shot, and this scale is very accurate. I get the same readings at the doctor. I also get the same reading every time when I step on it more than once. You know, when you weigh yourself and hope the first time was wrong so you step on again and hope for a lower number even though it's only been 5 seconds. Nope - this scale stays the same.

Call me crazy, but I just don't see myself ever paying more than 100 dollars for a scale. The 25 dollar scale I have has worked great, but, yes, I do have to manually enter my weight into the app or website.
  • kirstinlee
    kirstinlee Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Not even sure if you can just buy them or not, but my mom has an old-fashioned scale like the ones they have at the doctor's office, and I love it. No wondering if it's off because the batteries are low, or a glitch, or because I accidentally moved it two inches. I can step on it fifteen times in a row, and it'll give me the same weight every time.

I used to have a digital scale, and I just could not go back. I'm anxious enough as it is about my weight loss without trying to figure out why my scale's reading ten pounds higher than yesterday.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I love my Aria / Fitbit combo scale!
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for letting me know. I'll look up the FItBit Aria and some of the Withingsproducts. It's cool that the FItBit Aria syncs with MYFP. I'm going to check that out. Thanks again!:)

I love mine. It's spendy but personally worth it not to have to manually log weigh ins
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I have an Aria as well, and I like it. But when your weighing yourself daily, please be mindful of the fact that weight fluctuations happen all the time. The best thing is to weigh yourself in the morning fasted, while wearing the same clothes or nothing. That way the factors are the same. You'll still have fluctuations b/c that's normal of the human body. I started weighing daily when I got the Aria b/c I wanted to see the trends and it just seemed easier for me to see the trends by having something that uploaded automatically to Fitbit. Is this scale necessary? No, but it served all of the criteria that I wanted.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    You want one that also measures percent of Body Fat, your most critical measurement. You might be able to find one at Wal-mart, made by Weight Watchers. :)
  • AlwaysHopeful33
    AlwaysHopeful33 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much!! I really appreciate everyone's response:) :)
  • trswallow
    trswallow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    How are you judging accuracy? Are you stepping on and off it multiple times in a row, or are you weighing yourself and coming back later to weigh yourself again? What surface is the scale setting on? Do you move the scale and "put it away" after use?

Is your scale on a hard solid surface (ex. tile, wood, vinyl) or on a soft surface like carpet or a rug. A soft surface will allow the scale to sink in and might effect the minuscule amount of motion that a scale needs to work properly.

If you tend to move your scale after use then it is possible that the parts that move are separating and then when you step on it to weigh yourself the parts are seizing. Stepping on and off the scale several time in a row will usually correct this.

For best results a scale should be used on a hard solid surface and not moved between uses. As previously stated it is best to weigh yourself in the morning wearing similar clothes. You should also try to stand the same way each time. Subtle shifts in weight distribution can alter the reading on some scales. On my scale if I shift my weight back onto my heels I can get the reading to drop by 1/2 to 1 lb.
  • booshtron
    booshtron Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I recently got the aria and I'm really dissapointed with it.. it doesn't do as much as my old cheaper scales did plus it's not comparable with high speed routers.. took nearly 2 days to get the thing to work. I'd say save your money and go for a cheaper scale.