12 Hour Crock Pot Recipe's Needed

Options
TRIX5884
TRIX5884 Posts: 318 Member
Hey all. I am out the door by 6:30 am and not home until around 5 pm or later. I would really like some 12 hour recipe's for the crockpot. Most things I find that are for that long are heavy creams and heavy sauces. I do pot roasts, pork roasts, and corned beef roasts all the time in the crock pot - but there are only so many ways to do them. I'm all ears to all suggestions. Thanks so much!!!

Replies

• StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Have you considered investing in a crock pot that has a timer? Ours lets you set it for 4 or 6 hrs on high and 6 or 8 hrs on low then automatically switches to warm.

• TRIX5884
    TRIX5884 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I have - but the idea of the food just sitting there in room temperature for hours before it starts or after it finishes is not appealing to me. Thanks for the idea though :)
  • 1mom22boyz
    1mom22boyz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Ours never just sits at room temperature. That would be gross! You set it on low or high for how long it needs to cook and then it switches to warm after.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    1mom22boyz wrote: »
    Ours never just sits at room temperature. That would be gross! You set it on low or high for how long it needs to cook and then it switches to warm after.

Yeah, mine works the same way and it has never been a problem. It's almost the same as cooking it on low for 12 hours, but it doesn't get overcooked because the temperature just goes even lower.
  • kjt1972
    kjt1972 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I do frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts, throw in some chicken broth, canned diced green chilies and taco seasoning. When I get home, I shred the chicken with two forks and add it back into the broth. This is great for a taco salad!
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    One of my favorites in the crock pot is White Chicken Chili. I sometimes make my own beans ahead of time, but its also good with canned beans too. I used about 3 chicken breasts, two cans of great northern beans (drained and rinsed), a can of pinto beans (drained and rinsed), and maybe a can of black beans (drained and rinsed). One can of rotel or a can of green chilis. Then I use enough chicken broth to cover. Add chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper. I cook this on low all day, then shred the chicken in the soup. If I need to thicken it up I will mash some of the beans up and also add a tablespoon of cornstarch mixed with water then let it thicken up for about 20 minutes or so.

Another great recipe is a chicken taco soup, same thing but more of a tomato based soup.
    HTH! :smile: