being sick and preventing muscle mass loss?

Options
Yesterday night I had a pretty bad gallbladder attack, I've had sludge in it for a few months and we know eventually they will have to take it out but until I pretty much am projectile vomiting with a fever and confirmed infection then they won't do surgery.

The pain is getting worse and it hurts to move much. Sitting up, turning around, stepping over the baby gate in my house hurts lol. It'll ease up (until it acts up again) but how can I stop from losing muscle mass without jostling around my gallbladder? I've been training for a 5K in March (with c25k) I'm only on week 2 but I've been doing strength for about 2 months. I have rheumatoid arthritis and I feel much better with being more fit/exercising and so on. Is there any way/anything I can do to prevent losing what I've built up? Or is it inevitable and should I just suck it up and deal with it? lol.

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    You are suffering from a gallbladder attack, not a sore throat. You are focusing on the wrong problem. Follow dr's instructions religiously to recover, forget everything else. Once the health problem is taken care of, you have the rest 70-80 years to build as much muscle as you like and run a ton of races. Talk to your dr and do not worry about the small things.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    You are suffering from a gallbladder attack, not a sore throat. You are focusing on the wrong problem. Follow dr's instructions religiously to recover, forget everything else. Once the health problem is taken care of, you have the rest 70-80 years to build as much muscle as you like and run a ton of races. Talk to your dr and do not worry about the small things.

Agree.

You're being very short-sighted. You can't hope to build strength or endurance when you're in this level of discomfort and a hair away from a pretty full-on procedure.

Just get the op done. Get better. Then worry about the more superficial aspects of your body.

• myssjaxson
    myssjaxson Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    The condition I am in my gastroenterologist says that my gallbladder won't be in bad enough shape to surgically remove for at least a few more years unless it suddenly develops an infection. So I've very likely got to live with this for 2-5+ years. As I do with the pain of my Celiac's damage, rheumatoid arthritis and tenosynovitis. Honestly, If I waited until I healed I'd die before I started back. I get a HIDA scan, possible CT and ultrasound and blood tests done (again) in a few weeks to see the condition of my gallbladder. I'll just ask my doc. then.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need a new doctor.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I would definitely get another medical opinion about the removal.