Guilt Free, Homemade Frappuccino!!!

Options
AllyV0621
AllyV0621 Posts: 81
Brew coffee twice as strong and chill. Then pour 1 cup of it, 1 cup of milk, and a bunch of ice to a blender. Homemade frapps!!! You can also put in flavored syrups, which tend to be high in sugar but relatively low in calories. Or a bit of chocolate sauce, or maybe fruit. I used skim milk, so the WHOLE blenderful was about 100 calories. It came out a lot foamier and less creamy than Starbucks, but it was still good!! And NOT $4!!! I will be experimenting with this.

Enjoy!

Replies

• dtanner15
    dtanner15 Posts: 7
    Options
    great idea! i gota try this!!
  • kriots
    kriots Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :love:
    Brew coffee twice as strong and chill. Then pour 1 cup of it, 1 cup of milk, and a bunch of ice to a blender. Homemade frapps!!! You can also put in flavored syrups, which tend to be high in sugar but relatively low in calories. Or a bit of chocolate sauce, or maybe fruit. I used skim milk, so the WHOLE blenderful was about 100 calories. It came out a lot foamier and less creamy than Starbucks, but it was still good!! And NOT $4!!! I will be experimenting with this.

Enjoy!

I will be trying this!!!
  • demure_poetic
    Options
    sounds frappilicious!!
  • RachM
    RachM Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I stumbled across this: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/06/perfect-iced-coffee/ on pioneer womans website, and i tried it out and it was excellent for a nice strong brew off coffee for any iced coffee drink. Be warned, her ideas for making it sweeter and taste better are not figure friendly, but everyone on here is incredibly smart and great at substituting ingredients for a healther recipe and I am sure you can adapt it to suit your needs.

Two things I did a little differently and still worked SUPER well:
    1) I used 2 litre of water to 1/2 pound of coffee, and left it for an extra 4 hours, I dont know how strong hers was, but mine was definately strong, and it fill a whole 2L juice pitcher
    2) I didnt have cheese cloth and used paper towel inside a fine mesh strainer and it came out without any coffee grinds in it
  • goalll130
    goalll130 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    mmm coffee, yum. brilliant idea (:
  • deannalu89
    deannalu89 Posts: 29
    Options
    this sounds fantastic! definitely trying this! =)
  • lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • nisharae
    nisharae Posts: 204
    Options
    try adding a scoop of chocolate protein powder.. can we say mocha frap? with protein no less ;)
  • vox23
    vox23 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I have just turned on my coffee pot.

Can't wait to try this!!!
  • miyo79
    miyo79 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    what a great idea! definitely going to try this over the weekend.
  • FabOma08
    FabOma08 Posts: 500
    Options
    Definitely trying this but.....if I make it twice as strong as I usually do I'll have to spoon it out of the pot!!!!!
  • cupotee
    cupotee Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    this didn't work for me :( it came out watery and runny
  • mightymom2
    mightymom2 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    a friend of mine e-mailed me this same recipe it is really good

6-8oz. strong brewed coffee, cold
    1/2 cup skim milk
    2 tsp sugar (I dissolve it in the coffee while it's hot)
    ...1 tbs Hershey's Light chocolate syrup (50% less sugar and carbs)
    1 tbs Smucker's fat free caramel Sundae Syrup
    1 small scoop fat free vanilla frozen yogurt (can be omitted)
    1/2 scoop protein powder (optional, not in the one I made today)
    1 1/2 cups ice

Place in bar blender until blended. Garnish with fat free Reddi Whip and drizzle some more caramel/chocolate syrups on top. If you add protein powder, you will be adding a little fat.
  • momma_roo
    momma_roo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    i'm lucky enough to have a expresso maker. My FIL gave up coffee. i make two shots of expresso, mix one tablespoon of hersheys with half cup of 2% milk with 4 ice cubes and it is like heaven. it's a great afternoon pick me up ;)
  • KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Yummy!:drinker:
  • cupotee
    cupotee Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    So I tried this again, and i added 1/4 a banana + some coffee creamer in hopes of it not separating. Annd it did not come out as a frappe. it came out BETTER. I know, coffee and bananas, some of you migh be going :noway: . but i swear to god this is AMAZING. I was obviously born in the wrong colombia :laugh:
  • DBabbit
    DBabbit Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Coffee in any form = YUMM!! I know what I'm having tomorrow! :smile:

@cupotee, that does sound weird, but you know, pregnancies have made women eat strange stuff, so if it works...Carry on! :laugh:
  • NewVonnie
    NewVonnie Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I stumbled across this: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/06/perfect-iced-coffee/ on pioneer womans website, and i tried it out and it was excellent for a nice strong brew off coffee for any iced coffee drink. Be warned, her ideas for making it sweeter and taste better are not figure friendly, but everyone on here is incredibly smart and great at substituting ingredients for a healther recipe and I am sure you can adapt it to suit your needs.

Two things I did a little differently and still worked SUPER well:
    1) I used 2 litre of water to 1/2 pound of coffee, and left it for an extra 4 hours, I dont know how strong hers was, but mine was definately strong, and it fill a whole 2L juice pitcher
    2) I didnt have cheese cloth and used paper towel inside a fine mesh strainer and it came out without any coffee grinds in it

I LOVE Ree Drummond..aka pioneer woman...but havent really visited her site since I started MFP...her stuff isnt what you'd call low cal..but it is yummy..The iced coffee recipe is great and if you love salsa..her restaurant style salsa is AWESOME and VERY low cal..This is the link..You guys will love it.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/01/restaurant-style-salsa/
  • PomegranateSeason
    Options
    If you add a pinch to a half a tsp of xanthum gum to your homemade fraps, they will be creamy and not separate.
  • mammachubs
    Options
    love this!