Trying to lose fat & gain Muscle

Options
Hi MFP Fans :) I have just started using MFP the past 7 days and so far no change. My goal is to lose fat while gaining muscle. I workout with Weights, do cardio & so far this week have obtained over my goal in Protein (just started using a protein shake as well). I am wondering if I will ever see results as so far no change in weight, fat or muscle:(

Replies

• rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Muscle is built slowly; results in a week just won't happen.

A young man who has never lifted might be able to add 30 pounds of muscle in a year, but that's a great result. Women are going to gain muscle slower (about half a man's speed), since they lack the same levels of testosterone, which promotes muscle growth.

You certainly can build muscle, but it will take time, and it takes the right kind of training program. All training is exercise, but not all exercise is training; you need a program that pushes your body to its limits, gives it time to recover, then pushes your body to its (new) limits, etc. in order to see muscle growth. If you're not increasing something about the intensity of your exercise over time (higher total weight, higher # of sets/reps, etc.) you will quickly plateau as your body is no longer pushing its limits.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    you forgot to mention for most people to build muscle they need to not be in a deficit. not sure if OP is or not
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    you forgot to mention for most people to build muscle they need to not be in a deficit. not sure if OP is or not

Well, newbies can often gain in a deficit - but yes, being on maintenance or a slight surplus will definitely make muscle gains significantly quicker.
  • tiny1583
    tiny1583 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Take your time enjoy the process,create new fitness habits that are sustainable and enjoyable nt a quick fix. Make it a lifestyle...Make small changes and doing more thing is not always better.it makes it even harder to stick to.results are guaranteed to come with patience ☺
  • cep1185
    cep1185 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've built muscle over the past year while being in a deficit. Like you said, women build muscle differently. I train with weights four times a week and intervals once or twice a week. I've been focusing on hypertrophy training to help me lose fat while building muscle. You want to have a balance of fat loss and muscle gain to avoid loose skin. Enjoy the journey, it's not going to be a straight line but it will be amazing!