Confused about this "net calories under weekly goal"

Options
I'm a bit confused about how to use the "net calories under weekly goal" in the weekly tab. Is that supposed to (somehow!) equal 3500 calories if I'm aiming for 1 lb./ week loss? The week's half over and I'm nowhere near that. If not, what does the weekly tab keep track of?

Thanks for any clarification!

Replies

• audigal2008
    audigal2008 Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    bump
    Im wondering the same
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    What do you have your calorie goal set to? You shouldn't have to worry about your calorie deficit. You set what you want your weight loss to be, and this site tells you how many calories to eat. It's already creating a deficit for you. If you eat your goal every day, you -will- lose weight, even without exercise. You only need to have a 3500 calorie deficit (for a pound loss) if you are eating at your BMR.
  • photo_kyla
    photo_kyla Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Where are you seeing that? I looked all over my page and didn't see a "weekly" tab.
  • banjobouner2
    Options
    Is it the iPhone app's weekly tap you are wondering about?

What it shows is how many calories you are over or under your weekly calorie goal. If you for example have 14.000 calories a week to eat, and you trough the days havent eaten all of em, it will show you how many calories you are under the goal set by MFP in the current week.

Hopes this makes any sense :)
  • bookwormie
    bookwormie Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    iPod touch, actually, but yes, it's the same app.

And because I'm very short and work in an office according to MFP's goals it's impossible for me to lose more than 0.7 lb./week (even if I come up with a crazy number of exercising hours) so I'm trying to figure out what I can do to actually get to lose 1 lb./ week. And I'm really bad at math. :smile:
  • bookwormie
    bookwormie Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    What do you have your calorie goal set to? You shouldn't have to worry about your calorie deficit. You set what you want your weight loss to be, and this site tells you how many calories to eat. It's already creating a deficit for you. If you eat your goal every day, you -will- lose weight, even without exercise. You only need to have a 3500 calorie deficit (for a pound loss) if you are eating at your BMR.

Well, yes, my BMR is actually 1226 so I pretty much am eating at that...
  • banjobouner2
    Options
    If your BMR is only about 1200 calories, i wont recommend going lower than that. Normally a good choice is to cut 15%-20% percent of your TDEE, but since your number is so low, the best way to go about it would be to increase exercise.

Do you know your total daily energy use, BMR is only what you burn if you lay in bed all day, so according to your activity level, you can multiply your BMR with 10-30% percent, depending on your activity level.

Remember to hit 1 pound a week, you "only" have to burn 500 calories a day more than you eat :)
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    ^^^ This. Exercise sounds like the way to go.