Swelling

Options
I've started a new job and is pretty physical. I'm quite a bit overweight and any time I have am active for several hours a day, I swell. How long should I whoever to have the excess water weight before it becomes a worry and I should seek medical attention?

Replies

• debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    If you are swelling too much, you may want to see a doctor. Are you standing in one place most of the time but working physically or are you moving around and walking? What did you do for work before that was different than what you do now?
  • christa0130
    christa0130 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Before I was a stay at home mom. Now I work at a hotel in housekeeping. I'm constantly moving. It's a full body workout (bending, squatting, twisting, pushing, pulling, tugging, climbing stairs, lifting)
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have good shoes!
    Talk to doc about glucosamine.
    Do a stretch every morning/evening to limber up.
    Go at your own place at work. I know that sometimes the supervisors have a 'time' that it should take a room but if you take your time and do it well, it's usually not a problem unless it's an unreasonable about of time,
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    What part of you is swelling? Your feet, legs and ankles? You might consider a good pair of compression stockings. They are not the ugly things our grandparents wore anymore and they can really help!
  • christa0130
    Options
    It's my legs, feet, and hands. My hands have really taken a beating with making 20 beds a day. I've just gotten a really good pair of Mizuno shoes. I know they are for running but unless I'm on break, I'm constantly moving and easily getting 12k-15k steps in a 6-7 hour shift
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    See a doctor just in case. Swelling can be a symptom that they'd need to run blood, etc, for. Don't self-diagnose on that one.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Yes, see a doctor just to make sure there is nothing going on, or if there is that it is treated.

It may well be just the change in physical activity level. I have done your job and know how taxing on the body, when you first start, it can be.

My ankles, feet and hands swell in the heat, and with excess salt, lying on the floor, bum against the wall and legs up the wall for 15 min once or twice a day has really helped over time.

Cheers, h.
  • christa0130
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I currently do not have insurance as we cannot afford it. I'll give it a few more days and if it doesn't seem to be getting better, I'll make an appt to get checked
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    What part of you is swelling? Your feet, legs and ankles? You might consider a good pair of compression stockings. They are not the ugly things our grandparents wore anymore and they can really help!

I mean, they are still pretty ugly, but they really can help.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    @christa0130 I was told it was poor circulation. Raising the arms and legs above the heart helps short term, as does cold compresses.
    You may, probably do, have a different reason for the swelling, so a doctor visit, if it doesn't improve, is a good idea.

Cheers, h.
  • Kittenbusiness
    Kittenbusiness Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you push on the swollen areas does it leave a temporary indent? Indentation is a bit of a cause for concern and what a doctor would check for. If they just look visibly swollen make sure to elevate your legs after work. How long have you been working there/has this been happening?

There's a difference between edema from other health issues and the swelling from muscle recovery since you're not used to that kind of activity. It depends how long ago you started in my opinion.
  • christa0130
    Options
    If you push on the swollen areas does it leave a temporary indent? Indentation is a bit of a cause for concern and what a doctor would check for. If they just look visibly swollen make sure to elevate your legs after work. How long have you been working there/has this been happening?

There's a difference between edema from other health issues and the swelling from muscle recovery since you're not used to that kind of activity. It depends how long ago you started in my opinion.

I started a week ago. I can't really see it but I can feel the tightness.
  • BunnyBomb
    BunnyBomb Posts: 143 Member
    Options

This is very good advice. Check whether pressing on the area leaves a temporary indentation as that's something you'd want to discuss with a doctor.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Where are you swelling? is it your feet? I woudn't be surprised if your feet are swelling due to the sudden increase in activity, however if it's extremely swollen as in your can't put your socks on or shoes, then I'd see a dr to rule out edema.