'skinny fat' (normal weight obesity)

Options
Yesterday i went on a machine at the gym which reads your BMI weight and body fat percentage. I was shocked (well not so much) to find my body fat is over 30% which is from what I understand 'normal weight obesity' or skinny fat. I look slim, i'm a UK size 8-10 and my BMI is fine. I've been going to the gym for the past month or two now because despite being slim i'm not happy with my body and would like it to look better. I'm trying to eat better too (although this has slipped over the christmas period :P).

But yes, I'm guessing the reason I don't like my body is because I probably have no muscle and just fat. Making me skinny-fat. I know you are supposed to focus heavily on weight and resistance training when you have this issue. I'm guessing high protein and 'clean' foods, whole grains etc...

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and if they overcame it and what they did to achieve that? Just looking for some support and people alike :)

Thankyou

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Sorry, you cannot be slim and fat at the same time, this is just a stupid fad term. You are not fat and a UK size 8, unless you are like 4 ft tall. And the machines supposedly measuring your body fat, they are pretty much giving random numbers, so ignore the 30% completely. In any case, do not confuse body fat percentage with BMI. 30% of body fat is pretty average for a woman. You could lower it for sure, if you want to, but it would not make you fat even if the machine was accurate, which it is not.
    Here is an example of women at different body fat percentages:
    http://extrastrong.ru/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/body-fat-percentage-women-abs-and-bossom.jpg
    If you are not happy with how you look, the most important thing is to find an exercise routine you like and stick with it. Consistency is more important than the type of exercise routine. If it is lifting you like, awesome, find a beginner's program and follow it. And be patient and give it time. If you would rather do something else, experiment and figure out what this will be.
    Eating "clean" has nothing to do with it. If there are no health reasons to change what you are eating and you do not have weight to lose, do not overcomplicate it.
  • jflanaganasl
    jflanaganasl Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Do you ever incorporate strength/weight training into your workouts? Building muscle will help you change that percentage.
  • HollandOats
    HollandOats Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    For sure, focusing on strength training will give you more the body you're wanting, based on your OP. You'll displace the soft and squishy with firm muscles. They won't be big - they'll be you, but better. With increased strength and muscle tone, things like posture will improve, and you'll find you're happier with your appearance. Don't worry so much about diet, though eating enough protein to help maintain existing muscle mass is important when you're eating at a deficit to lose weight. Even yoga and Pilates type exercises will help with strengthening muscles and improving posture. Or, rather than a specific weight lifting routine, you can try new activities like climbing or skiing, which will work your muscles in new ways and increase strength and tone.

I'm on this same journey myself... I'm so soft... I like that I'm feminine looking, but I wanna firm some squish! And our analyzer at work put me at 30% body fat too, but the clinician told me that if I came back in an hour, it'd give me a different reading, because there are so many factors that affect it, like how hydrated you are, body temperature, if you'd already eaten, etc., so don't take it too personally. Building up your muscles is one of the best ways to reduce body fat.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Sorry, you cannot be slim and fat at the same time, this is just a stupid fad term. You are not fat and a UK size 8, unless you are like 4 ft tall. And the machines supposedly measuring your body fat, they are pretty much giving random numbers, so ignore the 30% completely. In any case, do not confuse body fat percentage with BMI. 30% of body fat is pretty average for a woman. You could lower it for sure, if you want to, but it would not make you fat even if the machine was accurate, which it is not.
    http://extrastrong.ru/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/body-fat-percentage-women-abs-and-bossom.jpg
    If you are not happy with how you look, the most important thing is to find an exercise routine you like and stick with it. Consistency is more important than the type of exercise routine. If it is lifting you like, awesome, find a beginner's program and follow it. And be patient and give it time. If you would rather do something else, experiment and figure out what this will be.
    Eating "clean" has nothing to do with it. If there are no health reasons to change what you are eating and you do not have weight to lose, do not overcomplicate it.

Normal Weight Obesity is a legit term, not some silly fad term. It is considered being within your "normal" weight range but carrying a high bodyfat percent. You can do that if you have less muscle.
    However, 30% BF isn't obese, it is within "normal" range for women.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Also OP -
    Those scales are not accurate. Take it with a grain of salt.

You don't need to eat "clean" foods. If you want to do a recomp, lift weights and eat at maintainance or slightly below. Eat mostly whole foods and include food you enjoy in moderation.

This thread can help you get started with setting calorie and macro goals
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

Normal Weight Obesity is a legit term, not some silly fad term. It is considered being within your "normal" weight range but carrying a high bodyfat percent. You can do that if you have less muscle.
    However, 30% BF isn't obese, it is within "normal" range for women.

I was doing a little light reading on this, and other than "oh that looks bad", I couldn't find any health criteria for body fat percentage in normal weight individuals.
  • Reneebycakes
    Reneebycakes Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    http://www.builtlean.com/2010/08/03/ideal-body-fat-percentage-chart/
    The above is a good source for healthy body fat percentages. You're not obese, just on the high side of average...with the caveat that may of those machines come with at least a 3% margin of error. If you want to change, start doing more strength/resistance training.
    Good luck!

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    http://www.builtlean.com/2010/08/03/ideal-body-fat-percentage-chart/
    The above is a good source for healthy body fat percentages. You're not obese, just on the high side of average...with the caveat that may of those machines come with at least a 3% margin of error. If you want to change, start doing more strength/resistance training.
    Good luck!

Wow. That was the most aggravating website I've visited in a while. The stupid side bar kept popping up while I was reading the article... in portrait mode. Because in landscape mode the Facebook and other icons covering up the page meant I could only read one line at a time
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    It's hard to measure body fat. Bioelectrical impedance (which is what that scale uses) is the least reliable method. Calipers would be better, underwater weighing or a BodPod would be still better yet, and a DEXA scan would be the most reliable of all.
  • Hot_Mama2016
    Hot_Mama2016 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3" and yes I've been where you are with the BMI at 30% fat. It was told to me by a Master Trainer and I'm certain it was true because I was overweight with not much muscle tone.

The good news it possible to change. Don't let that intimidate you. You can do it ~ I know because I did. Just take it one day at a time.