HIIT Treadmill Time?

Options
qkrzazzang
qkrzazzang Posts: 67 Member
edited September 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I've been doing 45-minute brisk walk and jog, and I'm planning to change to HIIT. I read about splitting a time between the interval, but I haven't seen how many repetition is to be done (or total time of doing it). I might probably start off with 20 seconds of high intensity followed by 40 seconds of moderate, resulting in a minute total. The question is, how many repetition is needed in general. I'm planning to do it everyday, along with cycling for 30 mins.

Replies

• ColleenDuley
    ColleenDuley Posts: 1 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    It's recommended to do 10-15 minutes of HIIT only twice a week since it does strain your body more than long distance cardio. HIIT requires more oxygen to be used by the muscles, therefore it has an after-effect and continues working 24 hours after you've finished! If you're doing HIIT right, it should hurt. The average session would be sprinting at 9 mph for 30 seconds then stopping or slowly walking for 30 seconds for 10-15 mins straight.
  • qkrzazzang
    qkrzazzang Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    It's recommended to do 10-15 minutes of HIIT only twice a week since it does strain your body more than long distance cardio. HIIT requires more oxygen to be used by the muscles, therefore it has an after-effect and continues working 24 hours after you've finished! If you're doing HIIT right, it should hurt. The average session would be sprinting at 9 mph for 30 seconds then stopping or slowly walking for 30 seconds for 10-15 mins straight.

Thanks for the reply. Would I be burning the same amount of calorie as my current daily routine if counted weekly?
    I do the 45 minutes everyday, but to be completely honest, it feels too long at times. I hate to give it up.
  • Lazz5k
    Lazz5k Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I usually try to do 1 minute sprint and I jump my feet to the side with 30 seconds rest, I start slower and work my way up, gradually increasing my speed for every 5 minutes of HIIT or so
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Treadmill hiit between 10-30 minutes. For me about 23 minutes was perfect (that was including a 3 minute walk warm up and around 5 minute cool down)

As for your ratio it depends how fit you are. You might want to start with a 1:2 or even 1:3 ratio. And then work your way down. When I started I'd do 1 minute run 3 minutes walk. By the end of my cutting eating phase I was doing 1 minute run 1 minute walk.

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    qkrzazzang wrote: »
    I've been doing 45-minute brisk walk and jog, and I'm planning to change to HIIT

I would suggest you work on getting to at least 60 minutes of running before considering sprint intervals, otherwise it's unlikely that you've really got the aerobic capacity to gain much from them.
    I read about splitting a time between the interval, but I haven't seen how many repetition is to be done (or total time of doing it). I might probably start off with 20 seconds of high intensity followed by 40 seconds of moderate, resulting in a minute total. The question is, how many repetition is needed in general.

Personally I'll warm up at about 6min/km for 15 minutes, then do perhaps 6-10 sprint intervals with a one minute recovery at 6min/km followed by another 15 minutes cool down at the same pace.

That's a once per week session as it's pretty demanding.

I'm planning to do it everyday, along with cycling for 30 mins.

If you're planning every day, then don't consider HIIT. You'll break in fairly short order.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    ... therefore it has an after-effect and continues working 24 hours after you've finished!

No it doesn't.

Calorie expenditure in HIIT is pretty minimal as the effort portion is fairly short.

Of the session I describe above I'll burn about 400 calories, of which 300 is the warm up and cool down.

The so-called afterburn effect might give an extra 10 calories.
    The average session would be sprinting at 9 mph for 30 seconds then stopping or slowly walking for 30 seconds for 10-15 mins straight.

9 miles per hour is not a sprint, it's a fast run. It would be a good 5K pace and a very good 10K pace.

• tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Hiit isn't necessarily better for calories burn then just running but it can be better for your heart.

Also @MeanderingMammal for someone who isn't in shape 9mph could be a sprint. Also the effort portion might be short it might not. It depends on the ratio you're doing hiit. If you're at a 1:1 ratio it's half your workout is high effort. I would burn 200 calories in within my 25 minute workouts. When I was at a 1:1 ratio.

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Hiit isn't necessarily better for calories burn then just running but it can be better for your heart.

Also @MeanderingMammal for someone who isn't in shape 9mph could be a sprint. Also the effort portion might be short it might not. It depends on the ratio you're doing hiit. If you're at a 1:1 ratio it's half your workout is high effort. I would burn 200 calories in within my 25 minute workouts. When I was at a 1:1 ratio.

i do not think that i could run 9mph even if i tried
  • bathmatt12345
    bathmatt12345 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Speed is relative, I would recommend getting your heart rate up to the 160-180 range during a 40s sprint, then letting it drop to 130-140 then sprint again. You can do longer sprints with longer rests but that has a different effect. There is a great book, Ultimate MMA conditioning, it is somewhat specific for combat sports but has a lot of great info.
  • bathmatt12345
    bathmatt12345 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I tend to do 8 sets of these.
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    The average session would be sprinting at 9 mph for 30 seconds then stopping or slowly walking for 30 seconds for 10-15 mins straight.

9 miles per hour is not a sprint, it's a fast run. It would be a good 5K pace and a very good 10K pace.
    9mph is most certainly a sprint for some people. Not everyone can run that fast for a length of a 5k. I myself as a somewhat seasoned runner have ran a 9:25 mile ONCE and there is no way I could keep it for 3.1 miles. I actually do sprint at a 9. I just can't get my legs to move any faster.
  • MeanderingMammal
    edited January 2016
    Options

The physiological effect of HIIT can have an impact on improving VO2Max, the ability of your system to concentrate oxygen.

There are three main modes of cardiovascular exercise, each with different effects.

The base of any scheme is aerobic capacity, which comes from long duration steady state at moderate intensity. So essentially working at 50-70% of maximum heart rate.

Ability to improve performance at the lactate threshold comes from working at the lactate threshold, of about 80-85% of MHR, and then ability to improve VO2Max comes from operating at above 95% of MHR.

The effects of the latter two depend on having an adequate aerobic base. If one doesn't have an aerobic base there are limited benefits in the other two modes of training.
    Also @MeanderingMammal for someone who isn't in shape 9mph could be a sprint.

I'll acknowledge that for someone who is pretty unfit 9mph may put them up into the top end where one is working above 95%MHR. Essentially someone in that situation will get far more benefit from improving the aerobic base anyway.
    Also the effort portion might be short it might not. It depends on the ratio you're doing hiit. If you're at a 1:1 ratio it's half your workout is high effort. I would burn 200 calories in within my 25 minute workouts. When I was at a 1:1 ratio.

If one is truly working at 95%MHR in the effort portions then 20 minutes at a 1:1 ratio is very, very impressive. For the vast majority 6-8 repeats is about enough to finish someone, and then recovery times would suggest once a week.

Notwithstanding that, the calorie expenditure is about mass and distance. To put it in context for me, I'll burn about 100 calories per mile when I'm running. So for the pretty comfortable pace of a 10 minute mile I'll burn 200 calories in the same 20 minutes. I could do that every day of the week if I was so inclined. There is no way I could meaningfully do sprint intervals every day, even if it supported my objectives.

Personally I can't sustain 9mph for the 40 minutes it would take to win my local 10K.

fwiw treadmills aren't a good option for HIIT due to the responsiveness, it's better to go out an run in the real world for that. Ideally on a track.
  • MeanderingMammal
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Speed is relative, I would recommend getting your heart rate up to the 160-180 range during a 40s sprint, then letting it drop to 130-140 then sprint again.

The originator is 21 years of age, and doesn't have much weight left to lose.

180bpm is in the aerobic range/ at the lactate threshold. Essentially the wasted effort band.

197bpm would be a credible target to aim for, then back down to 160-170 for recovery periods.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »

You just need to train smarter. Your progress would suggest that you've got the capacity for a 25-30 minute 5K if you use some more structure in your training. That said, I appreciate your constraints.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »

I bet you could. I know you run some, and have seen some of your posts. 9 mph isn't nearly as fast as people might think. A lot of people can walk 6 mph.

But overall I agree that the speed is somewhat relative to a number of factors. Overall I think HIIT has become another term grossly overused when in fact most people are doing other types of interval training.

A while back I did a true Tabata HIIT based on one of his original protocols. There isn't the slightest chance someone is doing that for half an hour. If they could, they would have shelves full of Olympic gold medals hanging in the massive house they owned from all the sports money they had earned.

Though there are a lot of things people call HIIT, the initial idea was to raise the intensity above the aerobic threshold and thus force anaerobic energy expenditure. Doing that for the right intervals increased both strength and cardio functions due to the intensity involved.

As for calorie expenditure, HIIT is very low overall. When I did the Tabata the warm up and cool down burned way more calories. I would easily do steady state for an equal amount of total time and burn more calories.
  • KUAngie
    KUAngie Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    If you want some good treadmill interval workouts, check out "The ultimate treadmill workout" book by David Siik. He also has developed treadmill group classes at Equinox. In his intervals, your max speed would be the fastest you can run in one minute. Each workout varies in interval time (30 sec- 2 minutes, and speed 2 mph under PB up to .5mph over PB, to incline, usually 0-5%, along with recovery intervals. It helps lessen the boredom on the treadmill. The book has around 40 runs in it. I downloaded the kindle version so I can just pull it up on my phone when I am on the treadmill.