Am I eating enough??

Options
sdavis448
sdavis448 Posts: 195 Member
My personal calorie goal is 1200 per day.. today I hit 899, but then gained 309 from excersicing? So I'm really at 509 calories for the day I guess? The 899 was from 3 full meals, I really almost feel stuffed so I'm wondering if this is a problem or not??

Replies

• Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. My wellness coach told me I didn't want to go under a net of 1200/day, but MFP gives me a goal of 1,340, so if I workout at all, I'm usually under a net of 1200. Sometimes I'm just not hungry and don't want to eat back those calories if I'm not hungry, but am I hurting myself by not getting ENOUGH calories?
  • sharonfincher1
    sharonfincher1 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    No u really should at least take in the 1200......research info on BMR, feel free to contact for more info....
  • Debkam
    Debkam Posts: 80
    Options
    I totally understand feeling like you can't possibly put away that many calories. I felt the same way last week when I started. I had to eat even though I wasn't hungry. It's much easier already. I'm also noticing my appetite is kicking in. Probably means my metabolism is waking up. If you're really having a tough time a few nuts will fill in the calories but keep it healthy. You'll learn quickly with this program. It is very helpful in helping you to re-learn how to eat.
  • sdavis448
    Options
    Thanks for the link! I get that eating more increases my appetite, it's just so Frustrating.. 1 week ago my problem was eating way to many calories, this week I'm eating healthier and having to think of ways to eat more! I'm also trying to listen to my body when it says "I'm full", which I am now, so it makes me think i'm falling back a step when I eat after being full. It's Insane, but better then the alternative! Maybe I'll go drink a big glass of Milk, that will help.
  • sdavis448
    Options
    oh, also, it reccomended that I eat like 1800 calories every day to lose 2 lbs a week. I want to lose 3-3.5, so i lowered it to 1200? Is that going to be an issue? I'm sure these sound like silly questions, but I'm new to the game and need all the help I can get!
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    If you're really not hungry get ye some almonds or cashews! Like a handful of those things is way more cals than you'd think and they're good for you.
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    oh, also, it reccomended that I eat like 1800 calories every day to lose 2 lbs a week. I want to lose 3-3.5, so i lowered it to 1200? Is that going to be an issue? I'm sure these sound like silly questions, but I'm new to the game and need all the help I can get!

You will really have a hard time maintaining that big of a calorie deficit healthily (IE still getting everything your body needs to fuction well). Its much easier (and almost certainly healthier) to lose weight slowly and you will be more likely to keep it off. I really recommend you go back to the MFP settings and go buy some almonds.
  • bks1
    bks1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have a similar issue, my daily allowance is 1200, sometimes I struggle to meet it, so I add a few high calorie yet healthy options, such as nuts.

I'm just wondering though, once I lose the weight- having been on quite a low caloric intake for several months, will this negatively affect my metabolism? Will I always have to eat such low calories in order to maintain my weight forever? This might seem like a silly question, but I'm pretty new to this, would welcome any answers!
  • Debkam
    Options
    I agree with Samerah12. I know you're probably anxious to take the weight off as soon as possible, but I would take it slow and easy. This is a lifestyle change. Maybe you can check out what others are eating in their daily food journals. If the program is recommending 1800 that means the program has already calculated considerably less than what you would need just to maintain the weight you are at. As you lose weight you will want to update your info so that the new calorie goals are reset. Also, when you eat it is recommended that you eat those calories you burned. For instance, you exercise and burn 100 calories. Your calorie goal will change to 1900 then. I know this sounds counter intuitive but I know this works. You will see it posted again and again to eat your calories.
  • Debkam
    Options
    Oh and peanut butter is another good calorie filler option. If you can get it freshly made at a local grocery store that is best. I really recommend reading the posts on the link I provided. It will make things much more clear for you.
  • sdavis448
    Options
    I'm thinking about changing it all back to recommended settings. The "why's" of it make sense. It's just hard for me to hear "You lost 2 lbs" and get excited about it at my size I guess. And since I seem to be able to eat alot less, and stay full, it seems like the better option. I do understand my metabolism and all that will work better if I do this the "Right" way.
    What are some high calorie healthy snack options, for when I need to fill my Calorie's? I know nuts, but what kinds? I only have honey roasted peanuts in the house and am not going near those!

Thank you all so much for the advice! I've only been here 5 days, and I already love this site so much! I think it is beating my facebook addiction even!
  • Debkam
    Options
    Too funny! I was thinking the same thing the other day about FB. Anyway, I eat almonds.
    12Generic - California Almonds, 12 California Almonds cal 168 carbs 2 fat 16 protein 4 fiber 2

I've seen others suggest avocado too.
  • Debkam
    Options
    My profile picture was taking when I was eating this way before. I have it as my motivation to eat my calories. LOL Don't know why I stopped eating that way other than stupidity. I don't think I related my eating frequently, throughout the day to my size.
  • Debkam
    Options
    I have a similar issue, my daily allowance is 1200, sometimes I struggle to meet it, so I add a few high calorie yet healthy options, such as nuts.

I'm just wondering though, once I lose the weight- having been on quite a low caloric intake for several months, will this negatively affect my metabolism? Will I always have to eat such low calories in order to maintain my weight forever? This might seem like a silly question, but I'm pretty new to this, would welcome any answers!

More than likely your metabolism will kick back in. Before I could go most of the day and not feel hungry. I was tired all the time. Now, I am noticing that I am hungry all the time and my energy is picking up. It is important to know that it is possible to gain in the beginning while your metabolism re-calibrates itself. Everyone is different. As for later down the road, if you follow the recommendations here you will learn how to eat to maintain your desired weight.