Replies

• mlheideman
    mlheideman Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I love it with cherry tomatoes, a dab of French dressing & pepper
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I like plain cottage cheese with fruit. Also a throwback to old Weight Watcher days, adding some sweetener and cinnamon results in a pretty nice spread.

These days I also used fat free ricotta, which is the same caloric outlay as one percent cottage cheese for a half cup, and is a bit richer tasting.
  • nicoiam69
    nicoiam69 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Great timing on this post - I just bought two large tubs on sale today.
    I love to eat it savoury - hadn't thought of adding tuna though. Think I might have that for breakfast or lunch tomorrow, particularly as I'm trying to boost my protein.
    Thanks for this idea
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I can't think of any food or dish that doesn't work with cottage cheese. Every pairing I've tried, however odd, has been pretty good. Maybe it wouldn't go well with Lucky Charms or alike, but I haven't tried that and cottage cheese has surprised me many times in the past so who knows...hmm..
  • LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Ricotta and cottage cheese can be fair subs for each other. It makes me wonder what cottage cheese in something similar to Italian cheesecake (which is made with ricotta rather than cream cheese) would taste like. Also, how would NY-style cheesecake (cream cheese ver.) be like with mascarpone (may be higher in fat, depending, but similar enough in texture, IIRC)? I often wonder about such things, even if I can't enjoy them.
  • tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try this for lunch today.. I'll let you know...
    I love it. For lunch I'll toast an English muffin, top it with tomato and onion and then put cottage cheese over it. Filling, delicious and easy on the calories.
  • tracefan
    Options
    Ok it wasn't too bad. THANKS
  • ridge4mfp
    ridge4mfp Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I was a lot like you, OP. I could not abide the stuff all my life. When I started my weight loss journey, I decided it would be pretty beneficial if I could grow to like it. I also bought the Breakstone doubles and ended up loving it! Now I buy those regularly for convenience, but also buy Breakstone plain then add fruit and chocolate chips and treat it as dessert. I'm on the cottage cheese/sweet side, have not done it savory.
  • tracefan
    Options
    Isn't it funny when you are trying to lose weight, how we will eat differently? I'd rather eat cottage cheese than starve? lol
    ridge4mfp wrote: »
    I was a lot like you, OP. I could not abide the stuff all my life. When I started my weight loss journey, I decided it would be pretty beneficial if I could grow to like it. I also bought the Breakstone doubles and ended up loving it! Now I buy those regularly for convenience, but also buy Breakstone plain then add fruit and chocolate chips and treat it as dessert. I'm on the cottage cheese/sweet side, have not done it savory.

• mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    Plain cottage cheese (with full sodium) makes me gag. Awful. But I do enjoy the plain low or no sodium kinds. Just add a little black pepper and I'm good. I also enjoy it with fruit mixed in, especially pineapple, blueberries or cherries. Not a fan of the texture of the fat free varieties, so I usually get the 2%.
  • cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Fat free Cottage Cheese with Pineapple....so good it may as well be pudding, and that's normally how I eat it. A whole 300g tub after my evening meal.
  • nicoiam69
    nicoiam69 Posts: 20 Member
    Options

Same here, I eat it every morning for breakfast, mixed with flavoured tuna, but the idea of mixing it with sweet weirds me out. Which is kind of silly, because I love cheesecake...[/quote]

Tried this for brekky this morning - 125g CC mixed with a 95g Tina lemon pepper tuna. Delicious and a whopping 28g protein for only something like 250 cal. This will Definately be part of my eating plan for breakfasts and lunches from now on.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese but have never tried the kinds with fruit or that don't have the curds in them. My favorite recipe for cottage cheese has sliced green olives, chunks of tomato, and either sun flower or walnuts mixed together in the cottage cheese.
  • firead
    firead Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I like the Breakstones with fresh fruit (pineapple, cherries, blueberries, etc).

I've never tied it with meat or anything savory in it, but now I'm thinking about adding cucumber, garlic, & dill to make something like tzatziki. Maybe add some lamb or chicken, because protein is the one macro I'm always struggling to meet my goal on.
  • asimms221
    asimms221 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese with Salsa, hated cottage cheese till i tried it like this. Now I love it.
  • YaGirlMaddi
    YaGirlMaddi Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I was exactly the same! I thought cottage cheese was so gross, but then I actually tried it when I started dieting and now I eat it about everyday because I love it so much.
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I love 2% Breakstone Cottage Cheese! I add sliced peaches in juice. I accidentally tried the 4% and I did not like it. Nice thread on Cottage Cheese...I never knew of all the things that can be added to cottage cheese. My cottage cheese is one of my breakfast meals, I love it! It is like eating dessert for breakfast.
  • mlboyer100
    mlboyer100 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Oh my, I never ate cottage cheese either when younger, but learned to eat it over the years because of the high protein. So many good ideas here! Never thought to put in it tuna! I put 1/2 cup in math overnight oats along with some flavored fat free yogurt. It's one of my regulars. Also put 1/4 cup in my smoothies, make them much creamier. I make a cottage cheese ice cream that's we have almost every night! And my list goes on! I just started posting my daily meals on Facebook, if you are interested in pics and healthy alternatives, friend me, Marsha Weaver Boyer. I would love to share! Can't do it here. No pics and no way to follow threads.
  • tracefan
    Options
    I don't think I could ever put it in tuna. I'm not quite there yet.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    Good for you!

I like to mix in protein powder or cinnamon/splenda/vanilla flavoring or pb2.

OOO... all of those sound yummy!