Calves

Options
I've lost just over 2 stone so far, which is great. Obviously some areas have lost more than others. My calf measurement hasn't changed at all. Still got a long way to go - not sure of GW but I'm currently 6 lb from the top of healthy bmi range, and I am certainly aiming for lower than that as my goal is a healthy waist measurement to lower my diabetes risk. I totally understand that I can't spot reduce, just wondered whether anyone else had had similar? I've been running 3 times a week and using the exercise bike. I know I will just have to wait and see, but I was curious to see that this seems to be the only place with no change at all.

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Calves are quite muscle you might just have big ones ..you can drop some but it's difficult and as you say can't be spot targeted

Mine did reduce by about 2" over 50lbs but they are still around 15" ...but my legs overall look shapely so the actual size is irrelevant

I do weight training though as well as cardio...progressive resistance is what helps with body composition...I credit squats, lunges, step ups and compound lifts with helping reshape my legs
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    One of the things that some may not know that being overweight CAN increase calf size. It's basically progressive overload on a muscle with a calorie surplus. And while they may not resemble cut diamonds (bodybuilding lingo), they're still there under the fat. It's much harder to lose muscle than people think even if at calorie deficit and especially with calves since people walk on them everyday.
    Learn to love them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • sarahredhaira
    sarahredhaira Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. They don't really bother me. My motivation is mainly health, so my waist measurement is key. Just curious that the calves haven't changed at all. They are 40 cm.
  • rocketblaster
    rocketblaster Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have huge calves - I've lost 40 lbs and my calves have hardly shrunk - I feel your pain. I long for tall boots but a pair that fit are few and far between. I am going to lose another -15 or so, hoping that calves will shrink but I think i just have big big calves. Sorry if you are part of my club in that respect ;) there are worse crosses to bear right? ;)
  • Kyrenora
    Kyrenora Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I've had large calves throughout my life. I've found when I've reshaped my body in the past, exercises like walking and biking would increase the size of the muscle, but when I've focused more on things like yoga or swimming that use the whole body, I didn't have that problem as much.