Soy or plant based protein

Options
Whey protein hurts my stomach awful. Any suggestions on good plant based or soy protein powder?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Vega One uses Spirulina. It's expensive but it is not whey.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Egg is a great alternative, but it's expensive (and not plant based). A rice and pea blend has an amino acid profile close to whey, I would stick with that, although I'm not sure about brands. You could make your own if you buy them separate.
  • AustinFrogDog
    AustinFrogDog Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love the Purely Inspired Plant Based Protein Powder. I get the Very Berry flavor. I used to pay a lot more for it at Whole Foods but now I order it on Amazon for $12.50 (for 1.5 lbs).
  • CubicalF13
    CubicalF13 Posts: 263 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I use pea protein, purchased of a local seller on ebay. Unflavored tastes pretty awful so try finding a flavored version or purchase some protein flavoring. Alternatively, you could also try lactose free protein.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Vega One uses Spirulina. It's expensive but it is not whey.

Vega One uses pea and hemp based proteins, among others. The draw for me was it did not contain soy based protein.

And it contains chlorella and spirulina. Always be cautious when using products containing these algae. If you don't tolerate, or develop an intolerance to, one/both it's pretty ugly. You'll swear you are experiencing food poisoning, the V/D are that bad.
  • jmg000
    jmg000 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You can get vegan protein blends from TrueNutrition, from a variety of plant based sources, such as Brown Rice, Pea, Soy, Hemp, etc. Their blends are very affordable compared to Vega One.