Pear shapes

Options
coloradokat78
coloradokat78 Posts: 268 Member
edited January 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I am just under 5'9 and most of my weight is in my hips? For those of you that have lost weight and carry your weight the same way, what work out plans would you recommend or has worked for you?

Replies

• starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    The answer is you can't spot reduce. if what you mean is you want that area to just look better altogether I would think doing Strong Curves would be helpful. Heavy lifting that focuses on your lower body will probably help how you feel about the way it looks
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, we cannot spot reduce fat. We can work on strengthening and, with proper nutrition, building specific muscles. To lose fat on your hips, eat in a caloric deficit, which means eating fewer calories than you burn. You can do that by eating less, moving more (all physical activity burns calories), or a combination. Keep in mind that if you are genetically programmed to have a certain body shape, you will not be able to change your overall genetics but you can optimize your shape/look/fitness level. You may consider lifting weights and, at a certain point, focus on building your back and shoulders in order to try to get a wider look up top.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately if you are a pear you will stay a pear, being 62lbs lighter hasn't made me less of a pear shape and I doubt losing the remaining 15lbs I want to lose to get to goal will make a difference. I will always be a size bigger on the bottom to the top but I own it and just try and emphasise the good bits like my tiny waist. Squats will make that bum something to be jealous of though that's what I'm working on at the moment
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Ugh I'm the same way. I'm going to have 6 pack abs before any fat comes off my butt and thighs.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    men like hips and *kitten* so im real good with mine ;)

embrace your shape and learn to love it - nothing short of surgery will change it ;)
  • motterotter
    motterotter Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Fat bottmed girl here too
    Apparently we make the rocking world go round
    If so someone neglected to inform me of that
  • coloradokat78
    coloradokat78 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the confusion. I realize you cannot spot reduce. I was just curious if anyone is doing or has done a program/routine that they felt really helped tone the lower body.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the confusion. I realize you cannot spot reduce. I was just curious if anyone is doing or has done a program/routine that they felt really helped tone the lower body.

lift heavy.
    squats.
    lunges.

but until you lose the excess fat, that won't provide much in the way of visible results.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If by tone you mean strengthen, a lifting program that includes the standard lower body lifts (in other any good solid lifting program) will help. If by tone you mean building muscle, you may build some muscle doing such a program while eating in a deficit, given proper nutrition (i.e., sufficient protein/reasonable calorie level), but you'd build more muscle while eating at maintenance and the most while eating in a surplus. If by tone you mean something else, please elaborate.
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Squats and donkey kicks. I can't get rid of my disproportionately large ar se, but I'll be damned if it's saggy!

Big bums are all the rage now, so I've heard anyway.
  • Vetticus_3
    Vetticus_3 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm very pear shaped...
    I lift weights to increase the size of my chest and shoulders, squat (heavy big weights)... to be in awesome shape, and lose weight... to not be a squishy pear.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I'm a pear. Through modest deficit and lifting heavy 3-4x week I have a more balanced shape. Because a lot of my fat was on hips and Glutes I still have some there that I'm working on. Strong Curves is a good program that has hip thrusters & glute bridges that really work those areas. I did 5x5 for a year, did Strong Curves & have incorporated some of the SC lifts into PHUL, which I'm doing now.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm not sure that even liposuction would help. Your body is a certain shape.
    Having said that, it doesn't mean not to train and fuel. It means be the best you can be.

So you won't be a ballet dancer, so what? You will still be strong and healthy for you!

I'm a pear. I dress for my shape and don't compare myself to willowy models. Life is pretty good that way too !
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Heavy weight lifting. I am also 5'9" and pear shaped. After I had my 2nd kid I lost weight without much exercise and with no lifting. I ended up very lean in the upper body and still very squishy in the lower. I didn't want to lose any more weight because my rips above my breasts were literally showing. After my third kid I got into weight lifting. I've never got back down to that low weight but am much happier with my body over all. My shoulders, and arms are bigger, which I think balances out my hips. My legs are still big but no longer as squishy, I can tell there is muscle under there. Seriously, I think I look my legs look fine when sitting down in shorts, I never thought that would happen.

I'd recommend New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women to start, even if you don't do the routines, it's a good read. Then maybe Stronglifts 5x5.
  • motterotter
    motterotter Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Having said that, it doesn't mean not to train and fuel. It means be the best you can be.

So you won't be a ballet dancer, so what? You will still be strong and healthy for you!

I'm a pear. I dress for my shape and don't compare myself to willowy models. Life is pretty good that way too !

I went thru my teens and early twenties (those were my skinny years i was 120-130 lbs ) but still had a butt and couldnt reduce it being miserable wishing i was a willowy gazelle with narrow hindquarters
    I wish you could have told me this 20 yrs ago
    You should say this and often to everyone
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Strength training that targets upper body will improve your shoulders and that will help balance your lower body a bit.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Pear shape here as well.

Our hips don't lie.

But that's okay. Lifting weights has added a nice shape to them. :)
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm a pear. I needed to lose enough overall weight for me to start losing in my hips and thighs - especially to be noticeable. I did it mostly with a calorie deficit, I don't exercise a lot.

*I should also mention that even at my higher end of my BMI (150) I was still very pear/bottom heavy. When I got to be about 130 it became noticeable.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options

I love this. Thanks so much for posting!
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I just skimmed the first few posts so sorry if this has been mentioned...

People are right, you can't spot reduce. However those saying to focus purely on lower body exercises are missing an opportunity! I recommend training UPPER body in order to balance out the heavy lower half and get that desirable hourglass shape.

That said I follow the lifting programme PHUL which does upper, lower and compound lifts do its pretty well rounded. I have definitely noticed as my shoulders change shape/build up whatever you want to call it that I am looking much more proportional.

Make no mistake, I'm still a pear, but I am a work in progress but the changes I see help me see where I want to go.