Getting frustrated over the cost of healthy eating?

Options

Replies

• tomw86
    tomw86 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    It doesnt help that i have an active family, who are constantly hungry. My OH cycles 8 miles a day to and from work, and plays American football (so has a massive appettite) plus we hit the gym together 4 times a week. I walk up to 5 miles a day too. So we may be eating bigger portions compared to less active families. According to the papaer this morning 'healthy eating' costs up to 1/3 more than regular eating, whatever that is. I'm trying to put in perspective, to feel less depressed about it by thinking how much my bill comapares to take out of restuarant prices. Just frustrating knowing that other in my family are eating for £40-50. Fair enough there are lots of 'cheats' and not overly healthy, but it frees up money for activities and non food related treats. Atm it feels like my wages are just going on food and the gym.

I can totally appreciate the feeling of wages not going far enough, I often feel exactly the same way but put it into perspective. You have a roof over your head that's dry and heated, you eat good food and can afford to go to the gym. You have a loving family - what more do you actually need?

That's the mantra I run through in my head when I get that feeling of 'all my money goes on bills etc' and it reminds me that I am very lucky when compared to so much of the worlds population that I have all of those things.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Meat is expensive and I prefer fresh over frozen too. We don't eat fish as much as I'd like due to expense. If you use meat sparingly in stir fried or over pasta with lots of vegetables you can stretch it farther. But I know your pain. I have been trying to not base our meals on rice & carbs and it's gotten more expensive. Beans and lentils are a good source of protein and very inexpensive. I buy dry lentils & beans at an Indian grocery and you get more for less money. I get canned tomatoes and use frozen vegetables for soups & stews. Do big cook ups on the weekend and you can eat for days or freeze for future meals.
  • lynnstrick01
    lynnstrick01 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    My father in law had a very good perspective on the cost of food... He always said that you will eventually spend the $$ one way or the other, you can spend a little more every week on good healthy foods or you can spend a WHOLE lot going to the Dr. later on when you get sick because you didn't eat well.
  • Kyrenora
    Kyrenora Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    This is something that's easy for me because I live in a rural/farming community, but I've found that buying meat from a local butcher is often much cheaper than buying it from a grocery store.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    i dont like to buy frozen meat and fish, as often pumped full of water, meaning you actually get less for your money. My Dad used to work in a eat proccessing factory, and was a fisherman for a while, and he's told me so many stories of what they do to the meat/fish before it's frozen.

If I had that kind of first hand knowledge of the industry, I would not eat frozen meat or fish either.
    Do you have access to fresh fish once in a while? I rarely buy it but I know that others like it. When I was a kid we raised our own beef (one or two cows at a time), chickens, and hogs on a tiny
    family farm. Now I live in the semi-tropics where I can get local fresh shrimp that I trust for hubby once in a while.

I eat beef in a good restaurant once every four or five months and hubby buys cooked chicken sometimes for himself, but mostly we eat lots of black beans, lentils, chick peas, eggs, rice, sweet potatoes, butternut squash. . . .

-> Frozen fruits and veggies have more nutrition than fresh because they are packed close to the farms. :)
    Hubby buys huge bags of rice from an ethnic market. . .
    . . . Also he buys certain veggies that are cheaper there than in our supper markets.
    With my guidance, lately one of his dishes for the two of us is stir fried (very little oil) tofu and veggies with garlic or onion.

Smoothies by the way are often expensive.
    Consider adding beans to the smoothies for protein, carbs, and fiber. :star::star:
    https://fullplateliving.org/blog/secret-ingredient-making-one-minute-high-fiber-and-protein-rich-breakfast-treat

W
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Those of you saying processed food is more expensive than fresh food, clearly don't understand that ramen is 10 for $1.
    When I was living by myself and on a grocery budget of about $60 per MONTH, I mostly survived off processed food.
    Now between my boyfriend and I, we easily spend $800 a month on groceries. It sucks, but we do like to eat well.
  • lynnstrick01
    Options
    Kyrenora wrote: »
    This is something that's easy for me because I live in a rural/farming community, but I've found that buying meat from a local butcher is often much cheaper than buying it from a grocery store.

Definitely, and if you have a freezer, even better, I buy local fresh produce (in season) and freeze it myself. (especially if your area has a U-pick season) Then I Buy bulk meats, instead of 4.99lb for pork chops, buy a tenderloin for 1.69 and have the butcher cut it. Instead of nearly $14/LB for boneless rib eye, I buy the whole rib eye for $6.50lb.. If you don't have a local butcher you can usually do the same at Sams club or GFS market. If they won't cut it for you, go get an electric knife for $20 and cut it yourself. Buying in bulk saves a ton of $$ but again you kind of have to have a freezer.
  • tomw86
    tomw86 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Those of you saying processed food is more expensive than fresh food, clearly don't understand that ramen is 10 for $1.
    When I was living by myself and on a grocery budget of about $60 per MONTH, I mostly survived off processed food.
    Now between my boyfriend and I, we easily spend $800 a month on groceries. It sucks, but we do like to eat well.

Kudos to you.

Actually I clearly understand that packets of instant noodles are dirt cheap, 19p a packet the last time I looked but I think you are getting things a little muddled. The OP was concerned that her grocery/food bill was higher than some others in her family now she has switched to a greater whole food diet. The rest of us have been trying to help her find ways to eat well for less outlay by sharing our experiences.

Has your post actually tried to help the OP at all? Or were you more interested in telling us all we are wrong? Just out of curiosity of course - no offence intended.
  • happymom221
    happymom221 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Are your friends eating out a lot more than your family? I spend a lot of money on food quality food and shop twice a week My friend who eats out all the time- said she hadn't been to the store since before Christmas
    I eat a lot of salads and protein but I cook in bulk. Made the family package of chicken breasts and seasoned them 2 ways. I will use all week.
  • lynnstrick01
    Options
    Just curious here, I live in central florida, lots of farms... so also lots of little road side stands that sell all sorts of local fruits and veggies at VERY reasonable cost. Do all of you have that same opportunity where you live? If so it is a much better option than the grocery stores
  • maria0104
    maria0104 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I concur with whoever has said freezing. Freezing has come on leaps and bounds since the days of old since everything was pumped with water and tasted like cardboard. You can check packets and often will find no added water meat and fish in better produce- higher end stores tend to have these (in the UK thinking Waitress, Marks & Spencer, but I get mine from a delivery service often)- which is still cheaper than the fresh stuff. 'Flash' frozen foods often taste just as good and last forever, especially vegetables like edamame, mangetout etc.

You say you go out with a strict rule as to what you buy to eat- but have you considered your regimen may be too strict? If I go out to buy all the ingredients for a chilli (5% abeerdeen angus mince, onions, peppers, etc, half my wallet gone) and see something else on offer but equally as available to 'fit' in my calorie/carbohydrate allowance, then I'll go for something cheaper and chop and change to suit. I often have a list of meals that I make through the month and will spend a little extra time in the supermarket considering what I might want to buy to reduce cost and utilising offers.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It's expensive because you're buying high quality meat, lol. I don't know the price in England, but here if I want good quality meat it's at least twice the cost of normal meat (which I eat and is just fine, frankly)... Frozen veggies are twice cheaper as fresh too...

So yeah, of course it's going to be more expensive than what other people pay...

I don't get this. There are 4 of us and I spend $600 a month, and that's counting kid snacks and paper/cleaning products... My grocery bill has actually decreased by quite a lot since I joined MFP.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Where I live beef is the most expensive meat right now so my family doesn't eat much beef.
    Budget friendly foods where I live- dry beans and lentils, rice, pasta, potatoes, onions, carrots, oatmeal canned tuna, eggs, oatmeal, whole chicken or chicken thighs, frozen vegetables and fruits, peanut butter, cabbage, popcorn
    Buy fresh fruits and vegetables in season. http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/seasonal-calendar/all
    Meal planning. Make a list and stick to it if you aren't already.
    Use what you buy.
    Cut spending on drinks if you are putting any money there.
    I don't think you are doing too badly if your family is eating meals and snacks all prepared at home and you eat more because you are more active. The people you are comparing to may be eating less or buying a lot more food outside of their reported grocery spending like lunches at restaurants or snacks from vending machines.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Just curious here, I live in central florida, lots of farms... so also lots of little road side stands that sell all sorts of local fruits and veggies at VERY reasonable cost. Do all of you have that same opportunity where you live? If so it is a much better option than the grocery stores

Well, yes, but those of us in the Northern parts of the country have a very limited growing season, so we don't have that option year round. But, in this day and age, plenty of fresh produce is brought in from all over the world year round, and it does go on sale. However, I still say you can eat cheaper using as much dried grains, beans, fresh and frozen food, and paying attention to sales, than convenience foods. Taking the time to cook your own meals and making enough for future meals. Paying attention to portion sizes. Limiting, or avoiding entirely, restaurants and fast food options. I have been doing this for almost 4 years and know that it is possible to eat better, and at less personal cost, plus added bonus of being better for your health.

• Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I agree. Yesterday I bought two fresh red bell peppers and it cost me $7 (CDN). What the?? My husband and I spend between $700-900 a month on groceries and we mostly eat fresh food. Mind you, the grocery store we shop at has fewer deals than other places, so I am going to start looking for deals across the city by signing up for a "grocery smarts" weekly newsletter that tells you where all the deals are. Of course, it's not any better to drive around to five different places to save a few bucks, but we may just look for one place where the most deals are and try that out. Maybe you can do the same in your city?
  • sianlr87
    sianlr87 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I spend about £30 a week for myself and my boyfriend. II religiously meal plan and stick to lists when shopping. I buy our meat at our local butchers as I find the quality much better than supermarket stuff and it tends to go further - chicken breasts from him are much larger than supermarket equivalent. I do find some things quite expensive, so try to make meals go further, using beans/lentils etc to pad out some meals. My boyfriend does eat quite a lot, so always try to pad his meals out with extra veg/bread etc.

As far as vegetables, most of what I get is frozen. I find fruit can be quite expensive, but berries and things I also buy frozen. I try and pop into the supermarket on my way home from work once or twice a week and can sometimes pick up some bargains in the reduced section and these go straight in my freezer. I bought some baby new potatoes last week for 11p and managed to freeze them. I was dubious as to how they'd taste/cook afterwards, but they were absolutely fine!
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Every once in a while lettuce will pop up to $4.98 a head. We don't have salads that week. The weeks that limes are $19.98 AUD a kg, yeah Lime chicken is no longer on the menu.

My phone and Pinterest have been a huge help in this. Even though I have a list I can change recipes on the fly if ingredients are too $$$ that week
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

I live in Florida too.
    We are living in the best place on the planet because right now glorious local grown strawberries are in season. :mrgreen:
    Those who do not live in Florida travel a different path.
  • stazed657
    stazed657 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have prob saved money since eating better because I prepare food to take to work rather than buying pre packed stuff! Also not buying any of the chocolate/ crisps etc
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    If you think you are spending too much money on food, then stop buying the expensive food that is not required for a healthy diet or weight loss. Steak is upwards of $8-14/lb here, shrimp is $12-14/lb, chicken is $2/lb. Fruits/Veggies that are out of season are $4-6lb, where as in season can be under $1/lb. Processed food is not inherently evil and sometimes is very tasty and cheap.

I feed a family of 5 for ~$950/month including all of my bathroom/paper/cleaning products and eating out. I'm also down 45lb and in the best shape of my life. My diet does not include top choice organic grass feed steak, because it is both expensive and unnecessary.