Anyone train BJJ?

Options
2»

Replies

• shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Either way is fun even if not very useful against someone bigger than me.
  • Matt200goal
    Matt200goal Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    LOL
  • AllisonSmith254
    AllisonSmith254 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    One time during one of my daughters matches I started yelling out random Eddie Bravo/10th Planet moves that I had heard to confuse her LOL. There are so many! I had no idea what they were by the way, but it was fun, nonetheless. Honestly though, since I have stubby limbs but am very flexible it would probably be the perfect system for me.

Matt, if I could learn to pull off the nogi bb choke successfully I could die happy, Unfortunately, it has yet to happen, but not from lack of trying haha.

• Matt200goal
    Options
    No gi BB choke - I got choked out so many times by a particular brown belt that a) I've learned to defend it pretty well and b) can sometimes get it (on folks that don't know how to defend it) from Knee on Belly.

Have seen videos of folks doing it from bottom side control and other positions of perceived disadvantage - I want to get to that level...someday :)
  • shabaity
    Options
    I love arm bar from the bottom position of guard.
  • Matt200goal
    Options
    That is a nice sneaky one!
  • shabaity
    Options
    Sneaky is a good thing.
  • yoniwe
    yoniwe Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Bjj from gjj
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Random BJJ related question time:
    Top Player or Guard player?:
    Favorite submission?:
    Favorite BJJ Athlete?:

1. Top player, but trying to improve my guard game. All the barbell squats I've been doing has given me an iron grip guard though lol.
    2. Favorite submissions gotta be RNC. Seems to be what I go for most times. I constantly try oma platas but can never pull them off cause I tend to roll with the big guys.
    3. I'd go with Garry Tonon cause he was one of my professor's students.

Question: Do you guys train gi, no gi, or both? Any preference?

• AllisonSmith254
    Options
    I prefer gi. I feel naked without grips. I train both though, but gi 3-4 times a week and nogi, usually just once a week. Ironically, my only gold has come in nogi...still can't figure out why...
  • Matt200goal
    Options
    75% gi, 25% no-gi. No real preference - some stuff works better one way or the other, but the fundamentals/principles seem to apply in both.
  • Matt200goal
    Options
    Tonon is a beast; I enjoy watching him roll.
  • AllisonSmith254
    Options
    If anyone plans on watching the UFC fights tonight, don't forget to watch the prelims, Tx bjj black belt Diego Ferreira is fighting tonight, oss!
  • Matt200goal
    Options
    I DVR'd and watched later. Sage Northcutt - really?
  • AllisonSmith254
    Options
    LOL ^^^^^right.
  • Matt200goal
    Options
    That seems to be the talk of the entire on-line BJJ community...can't wait until the gym tonight to hear what the purple & brown belts say about it...

j44keluw6186.jpg
  • Matt200goal
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Another view of it - a Von Flue Choke & not a Head & Arm Triangle...

Gonna have to physically try both sides of it (& have some pedantic/semantic questions - isn't a VF choke just a special sub-set of H&A chokes. Same as D'Arce, Anaconda, etc. All same principle, just different geometry/set-up?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjjCvU33jas
  • Matt200goal
    edited February 2016
    Options
    OK - have tried it out with a couple of brown belts. I could not finish them from that position, nor could they finish me.

Pure static/set-up in our case - can't disconnect the fact that it was the 2nd round and he got ground & pound'd for a bit leading up to it.
  • jakkrk
    jakkrk Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I train Gi and no gi. Ususally 2 days for each. I also train through a Machado affiliate. No gi is CSW through Erik Paulson. Still relatively new (no stripe white) but in no hurry. I know it will all come together. I don't have a favorite competitor and as Im usually on the bottom, most of my game is defense. But for offense from the bottom, I like the gogoplata. Its hard to hit but if you can, works well.