HELP!!!!!!! Cardio With Sprained Ankle???

Options
okay so i sprained my ankle a couple weeks ago and it didn't get better so i got it checked out at the doctor. I was referred to an orthopedics center and i found out i pulled the ligaments and tendons in my right foot, and i am currently wearing a huge boot to walk in, but i can take it off and wear a wrap and put shoe supports into my sneakers if necessary. Please give me suggestions for low impact cardio that i can do!!!!!! That would be super helpful!!!!!!!! :smile:

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    okay so i sprained my ankle a couple weeks ago and it didn't get better so i got it checked out at the doctor. I was referred to an orthopedics center and i found out i pulled the ligaments and tendons in my right foot, and i am currently wearing a huge boot to walk in, but i can take it off and wear a wrap and put shoe supports into my sneakers if necessary. Please give me suggestions for low impact cardio that i can do!!!!!! That would be super helpful!!!!!!!! :smile:

What did your doctor say? That's tough, probably just an exercise bike with low resistance until the foot has healed a bit? Then slowly add pressure to it by walking, eliptical (low impact), etc.
  • DKev
    DKev Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Doesn't involve using your legs/feet but I do know that punches are a great way to get in cardio without the use of your lower limbs.
  • schobert101
    schobert101 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Swimming is great cardio and would have absolutely no impact on the joint.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Swimming is good cardio, just watch how you kick your legs. Perhaps focus on a doggy paddle or back stroke with little leg involvement. When I said bike I meant stationary bike if you had access to one. The boot offers some support but it sounds like you just did this, I tend to be cautious. I tore a tendon once and I tried to get back too soon and it only prolonged the recovery, patience is truly a virtue here although it sucks. :)
  • snkeller24
    snkeller24 Posts: 459
    Options
    maybe water walking if the pool is deep enough.
  • jwtriathlon
    jwtriathlon Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I sprained my ankle about 8 weeks ago and it is still not healed all the way for high impact cardio. I'm getting better but I had a hard time finding a cardio that I could do that was low impact. My ankle is getting better and I've been able to get back into swimming and a light water jog. Maybe you can try one of those, but I would ask the doctor what they think would be a good excercise for you to do. You don't want to do anything that is going to hurt you even more. Good Luck and hope your ankle gets better soon!!!
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Standing or sitting... Some ideas.
    Obviously just use your arms.

Dancing, swinging arms.
    Jumping jacks.
    catch basket ball and shoot....... repeat 10-20 times.
    volleyball moves. (overhand serve, volley, bumping) repeated
    of course
    Boxing

Some of these I realized when doing EA active on Wii, that people who couldn't stand could still do the exercises.
  • Arizona_JR
    Arizona_JR Posts: 275
    Options
    swimming... but us a buoy between your knees to keep your legs afloat since you won't want to be using your feet/ankles for kicking.
  • snkeller24
    Options
    Water walking/jogging is like treading water but you move yourself forward. Most people wear a float belt to help keep them up. A lot of our athletes who had injuries would go down to the pool and do that for awhile
  • RangerSteve
    RangerSteve Posts: 437
    Options

Dancing, swinging arms.
    Jumping jacks.
    of course
    Boxing

Some of these I realized when doing EA active on Wii, that people who couldn't stand could still do the exercises.

oooh i love boxing but i don't have access to a punching bag or gloves... anyway to do it without them?

I'm not sure what kind of boxing you guys are talking about here but punching is primarily hip strength and requires leg movement in order to complete a proper punch without hurting yourself. Not doing it this way is similar to telling a pitcher to throw a fastball without moving his legs. He'll end up hurting his arm.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options

oooh i love boxing but i don't have access to a punching bag or gloves... anyway to do it without them?
    Yes you can punch without gloves or a punching bag.
    I'm not sure what kind of boxing you guys are talking about here but punching is primarily hip strength and requires leg movement in order to complete a proper punch without hurting yourself. Not doing it this way is similar to telling a pitcher to throw a fastball without moving his legs. He'll end up hurting his arm.

We're not talking about full out knock someone out punching where you need to use hip strength.
    Just the motion of moving her arms. I think someone is capable of throwing a set of punches sitting down.
  • Arizona_JR
    Options
    shake weight! LOL
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

Dancing, swinging arms.
    Jumping jacks.
    of course
    Boxing

You could try being excessively obnoxious to some random people? :tongue:

I do agree with Ranger Steve though as it definitely utilises lower body.

Swimming could be doable depending on stroke. You can get float things to put between your legs to stop from kicking to practice arms.
  • snkeller24
    Options
    Float things are called 'pull buoys' if you're looking for some. Easiest stroke would be freestyle or backstroke, depending on your swimming level.
  • Arizona_JR
    Options
    Float things are called 'pull buoys' if you're looking for some. Easiest stroke would be freestyle or backstroke, depending on your swimming level.

yes! Not to be confused with "pool boys"; they won't help you with your swimming. :wink: