Quick question on gym etiquette

Options
b_magill
b_magill Posts: 72 Member
edited January 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
This may be a small potatoes type of situation or not. I'm not sure, so I could use some advice.

At the gym the other day, I was wortking out and was rather a hot mess by that point with my sweaty self all huffing and puffing. Our gym has a "no selfies in the locker rooms" policy (which I get, lest you get a perv with a smartphone in there).

I'm running on a treadmill and a chick finished her short run, walks across the floor to stand directly behind my treadmill, makes the effort to get directly behind me and take a series of selfies while I'm running, all of them had to have included me and my ample backside, while she was meaning faces of disgust. I was the only other person on the cardio deck at that point, so it had to have been intentional.

I'm fairly new to the whole gym scene, so I have to ask if that sounds strange to anybody. I felt very uncomfortable, to the point of stopping and asking her what the hell she thought she was doing. She skittered off and wouldn't answer me as I followed her.

I know gym selfies are a thing, which I don't participate in, but fine. But what's the rule about your selfies if there's another person in them?

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    It sounds like the girl could've just been taking selfies or you could be right , maybe she was taking pictures of you on purpose. Either way it would be hard to tell what her intention was. If I where in that situation I would've also asked her what she was doing. If she does this again then I would report her to the gym manager.

And to answer your question , I would never and have never taken any selfies with other people in the picture. I have taken many pictures of myself in the gym but never have taken pictures with other members in the shot. I think that would be rude. I wouldn't want other people taking pictures of me while I was working out either .
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Not good form on her part, at all.
  • thatpowergengirl
    thatpowergengirl Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    That's incredibly rude, and sounds like it was most definitely was intentional. If she does it again, I would report her to management at your gym. No body has the right to make someone else uncomfortable like that.
  • SomeMorr
    SomeMorr Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Rude people will always be rude. I don't WANT people in the background of my selfies (if I ever take them).. but she obviously was being a UNT with a capital C. Your body is your own and is no one else's business, it may hurt to feel like someone is making fun of you, but you are doing better for yourself by exercising. Confidence and colorful language will get you through the day!
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Was the whole wall mirrored, or was your section the only area with mirrors?
  • Last_mango_in_paradise
    Options
    Honestly, the fact that she got off her treadmill and stood directly behind you while taking the selfie, THEN skittered off when you confronted her makes me think she was purposely trying to get you in the photo. If you see her doing that again -- to you or someone else -- I would report it to management.
  • b_magill
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    It sounds like the girl could've just been taking selfies or you could be right , maybe she was taking pictures of you on purpose. Either way it would be hard to tell what her intention was. If I where in that situation I would've also asked her what she was doing. If she does this again then I would report her to the gym manager.

I reported her immediately, but the manager didn't take it seriously. He asked how I was "sure" she was talking photos of me. I told him that standing directly behind me with no mirror in sight and using a reverse camera kind of have it away.

If I hadn't just joined this fun with 9 more months on my contract, I would have unjoined right then and there.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If it happens again, report her.
    I suspect you are right. Either way it's kinda icky. I was on a gym treadmill the other day and a young man was taking photos of his girlfriend on the smith machine in front of me. There was a mirror. I ended up in every photo. I considered asking him to take the photos from a different angle, but as I considered it, I couldn't find an angle that wouldn't have another gym patron in it.
    If it happens to you again, it's clearly on purpose. Report it immediately.
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,539 Member
    Options
    You should have made one of the attendants look at the photos, if they included you - delete them.
    P.S. "Chick" - really?
  • Last_mango_in_paradise
    Options
    You should have made one of the attendants look at the photos, if they included you - delete them.
    P.S. "Chick" - really?

What's wrong with the term "chick"? I understood what she was talking about.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    b_magill wrote: »

I reported her immediately, but the manager didn't take it seriously. He asked how I was "sure" she was talking photos of me. I told him that standing directly behind me with no mirror in sight and using a reverse camera kind of have it away.

If I hadn't just joined this fun with 9 more months on my contract, I would have unjoined right then and there.

The moment you step foot out of your house anyone can take your picture for any reason. There isn't much you can do about it unless the gym has a policy against it (like the no cameras in the locker room policy). It may be rude, but the gym has no obligation to side with either person.

Also, you probably can cancel the gym membership. Read the fine print, but many contracts allow you to cancel within the first X days if you aren't happy.
  • b_magill
    Options

The moment you step foot out of your house anyone can take your picture for any reason. There isn't much you can do about it unless the gym has a policy against it (like the no cameras in the locker room policy). It may be rude, but the gym has no obligation to side with either person.

Also, you probably can cancel the gym membership. Read the fine print, but many contracts allow you to cancel within the first X days if you aren't happy.

As I understand it, in my state on private property, that's not the case. In public, yes, people can take your photo without permission. But in private, it becomes a matter for the property owners.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    That is so odd. Why are people taking selfies at the gym, period? And a series of them at that? And to stand directly behind you while doing it? It'd have taken some self-control not to grab her phone and smash it.
  • b_magill
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

No mirrors at all in that section. Which is what tipped me off to something odd going on. That and she was soooo close to the end of my treadmill that I thought she would bump the tread if she sneezed.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    P.S. "Chick" - really?

?? The gym attendant doesn;t have any right to look at her phone, regardless of what she was doing. Heck, the POLICE don't have a right to look at your phone...
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options

As I understand it, in my state on private property, that's not the case. In public, yes, people can take your photo without permission. But in private, it becomes a matter for the property owners.

Yes, but if the gym has no policy, then it is about the same as public space. With no policy, there is little reason for the gym to side with either person unless this becomes a re-occurring thing. Like I said, it is rude, but oh well. People are rude all the time. Forget about it and move on. Cancel your gym membership if you like.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    P.S. "Chick" - really?

you don't get out much huh....
  • trswallow
    trswallow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

No mirrors at all in that section. Which is what tipped me off to something odd going on. That and she was soooo close to the end of my treadmill that I thought she would bump the tread if she sneezed.

Well if she does it again, just stop running and stand on the belt. You will shoot off the back and take her out. Its not like she can say you did on purpose because who would do such a thing. Besides people are supposed to stay clear of the back of in use treadmill for just this reason.

You will probably be a bit bruised & battered, and possibly have a belt burn, but it could be totally worth it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'd hit her- I mean- I'd roll off the back of the treadmill and totally "accidentally" bump into her. (bonus points if you do it at a higher speed)

Sounds sketchy as hell.
    You can't do anything about it other than call her out on it.

Unfortunately it sounds a lot like you were the brunt of a joke- but honestly- you're there to get better- so eff her.
    I had someone do that to me but he was trying to perv on me while I was squatting- I straight called him out on it and told the owner of the gym that it would be a problem if he did it again.

Continue to call her *kitten* out on being a shallow nit wit with nothing better to do then make fun of people who are trying to improve herself.

But don't quit. Don't you DARE quit based on someone else's actions. That's not an excuse to give up- you KEEP GOING!!!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Just out of curiosity: how - if there were no mirror in sight - could you know exactly what she was doing (including faces and whatnot) behind you?