Help! So discouraged!

The past few days I've been under my calories and drinking lots of water but still my scale has stayed the same or in the case of this morning, went UP .5 lbs! I was devastated! I had been so proud of how well I was eating and sticking to my calorie goal. Could it possibly be too much sodium causing the weight loss to stall? Please help

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    "Days" isn't a great basis to judge the success or failure of a weight loss plan. While losing weight, your weight may fluctuate due to multiple factors -- increased exercise, sodium, hormonal factors, food in your system. A few days isn't a "stall."
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    A few days isn't enough time to consider this a stall.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Weight loss isn't measured in "days"

It's measured in months and (sometimes) years

Patience, my young paduwan.
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Yes, sodium, exercise and the fact that you're a women. Our weight fluctuates like crazy.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Have patience.
  • Kyrenora
    Kyrenora Posts: 133 Member
    Too much sodium will cause you to retain water, which will increase your weight, but there are other factors to consider too. Think about where you are in your cycle. You'll likely gain weight when ovulating, and you may find that you gain a couple pounds overnight when it's your TOTM. Did you eat later in the day yesterday or weigh yourself earlier today? Were you wearing more clothes when you weighed yourself today? How recently had you used the bathroom?

As others have said, try not to focus on the daily fluctuations. It may be more helpful to you if you only weigh once a week or even less often.
  • marlown
    marlown Posts: 59 Member
    Keep doing the right things and it will catch up. I totally understand the frustration, when you expect it to go down and it doesn't. This journey takes a lot of patience. You can do it. Pull out your bag of tricks - i.e. step up your cardio or go for a walk, try cutting sodium a little to see if that helps, read something inspirational about perseverance, set a small goal that is reachable quickly, switch it up - just one hour at a time, one day at a time... Stay the course!
  • Jetamu96
    Jetamu96 Posts: 963 Member
    Don't give up! Sometimes people hit a plateau one week but then the next week lose loads! Keep going! You're doing great :smiley:
  • abelcat1
    abelcat1 Posts: 186 Member
    Other days you might eat some real yummi treat (a lot of it) and still lose. You won´t believe it, but it´s real. I´ve tried it many times. Eat well most of the time....excercise all of the time and weigh your self once in a while. Over time if you eat at a deficit you´ll lose. It.s a fact!
  • logjavannah
    logjavannah Posts: 9 Member
    Not eating enough can slow your metabolism. I try to eat at least a few bites every couple of hours.
  • Marcus_2015
    Marcus_2015 Posts: 119 Member
    I range 5-6 pounds depending on workouts, sodium intake, etc. You are in this for the long haul, my friend!

R
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Not eating enough can slow your metabolism. I try to eat at least a few bites every couple of hours.

No. :|
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member

No...and especially not after only a "few days"
  • APOcrunch
    APOcrunch Posts: 1 Member
    There are so many things to consider! Give yourself 30 days before even beginning to look for results.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    a37btb7mxb3t.jpg
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member

That is not correct.
  • khopkins516
    khopkins516 Posts: 63 Member
    Thank you all so much! I am so glad I have a community behind me supporting me!
    I will try to exercise patience (not my strong suit)! :D
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member

Unfortunately that is not correct. Your metabolism keeps going and going.
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    edited January 2016
    Diary not open, but sodium can most definitely be a factor. Sounds like you've weighed yourself several times in the last few days. Would not encourage that due to so many reasons for fluctuations. Maybe once weekly. Keep up the exercise, healthy eating and logging and look back on some mini goals. This won't set you up for disappointment. Slow and steady wins the race!
  • random255
    random255 Posts: 18 Member
    I started this at 192.5, and after several weeks I was 185. I was stoked. Then, less than a week ago, I was at 191! WTF!?! All my work, just POOF, gone. And then, a few days, suddenly the scale was back to 186.

The point is, worry about the weeks, not the days.