Daily weigh-ins?

Options
sydneynotaustralia
sydneynotaustralia Posts: 4 Member
edited January 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I usually weigh myself at the same time every day, but you always hear that it's better to only weigh yourself once a week. What is your preference, and why?

Replies

• Golferdrone
    Golferdrone Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Daily, helps me see the flucuations
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily. I like to see the flux of sodium, hormone, potential water weight if my muscles feel sore, etc. I don't stress, I just get on and know that the monthly trend is down and that is good enough for me!
  • Jetamu96
    Jetamu96 Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I've decided to do it weekly (although sometimes I do it just cause i'm impatient).
  • HWeatherholt
    HWeatherholt Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh myself daily, just to see where I am at, but only officially weight/record one day a week.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Daily, and then I log the weight onto a graph that shows the overall trend. My weight can bounce up and down a fair amount. If I weighed in weekly, I may get discouraged if I happened to catch my weight on a higher note than usual due to factors other than fat loss/gain. I use weightgrapher.com
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Every day and I log my weight into happy scale.
  • marlown
    marlown Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Every day. It's my accountability. Very motivating, whether good or bad...
  • pants77
    pants77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Daily is better than weekly. Even when dropping weight you'll go up and down on a daily basis. If you log in once a week and happen to be higher that day than the days surrounding (differences in digestion, hydration/water retention, etc), you could get discouraged when you're actually making progress. Just don't take daily weigh ins to be absolute and keep your eye on the long-term line.
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Daily, for me its a motivator as well as a constant reminder.
  • chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Daily... I like to see the fluctuations and try to understand what certain foods do to my body. I tend to hold a lot of water weight if I eat something high in carbs or sodium but I also know that if I go back to eating those low carb, high protein, high fiber foods then I can drop that weight quickly.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Daily. I track it on fibit and trendweight and like getting the graphs.
  • lucyricky2
    lucyricky2 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    daily works for me the best
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I weigh in daily. I like seeing the fluctuations. Helps me to know what I did right/wrong each day.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I also weigh daily to track fluctuations. I don't think it really matters, though. Whatever you prefer.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I weigh every weekday (weekends I'm up earlier so I tend to avoid the scale) for fluctuations and the trend.
  • deahhester
    deahhester Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Almost daily- maybe five times a week. I track it on fitbit and like to see the graph generally moving down, or, if it's slowly moving up, it's time to make a change!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Daily at the same time. Keeps me focused.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    pants77 wrote: »
    Daily is better than weekly. Even when dropping weight you'll go up and down on a daily basis. If you log in once a week and happen to be higher that day than the days surrounding (differences in digestion, hydration/water retention, etc), you could get discouraged when you're actually making progress. Just don't take daily weigh ins to be absolute and keep your eye on the long-term line.

^^This. The biggest problem I had when I did Weight Watchers many years ago is discouragement after the weekly weigh-in, when the scale showed no loss and even gains sometimes, when I knew I had done well on the program all week.

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i like daily and look at trends
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,994 Member
    Options
    I am weighing daily while losing. I log it into my happy scale so I can see the trend. I only log it into mfp when I have a new low number. The fluctuations can be difficult to get used to, but I am trying to get to a point where I see my weight as a range and not as a specific number. Weighing daily helps me to stay motivated to keep logging. I'm always happy when it is lower, and if it is higher then I am more motivated to watch what I eat that day. Plus it does give me some insights. I know my number will be a little higher if I have had a lot of sodium the day before. My plan for maintenance is going to be just to weigh weekly to make sure I am in my range and that way if I start to actually gain (not just water weight fluctuations) I will lower my calories until I get back to my goal range.