Sugar: good and bad?

Options
I eat a lot of fruit. I'm over my sugar every day, but I never feel a "sugar crash." Is it really bad, if it's mostly fructose (the type of sugar found in fruit)?

Replies

• janew68
    janew68 Posts: 37
    Options
    I'm wondering the same thing! I'm never over tremendously a lot, but sometimes by 10-15 grams. But it's come from fruit and veggies. I'm thinking the sugar from fruit and veggies are not bad, just like complex carbs found in whole grain etc. are not bad compared to refined carbs. I hope someone more "professional" answers=0)
  • SLambertAlaska
    SLambertAlaska Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I am SURE that no one got fat by eating too many fruits and vegetables. If it's working for you - keep doing it!
  • GaveUp
    GaveUp Posts: 308
    Options
    Fruits and veggies are good carbs..... deduct your fiber from your carbs and that will be accurate carbs for the day.
  • Knightrobs
    Knightrobs Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Sure no one got fat. But no one got skinny either.

Sugar is sugar. It still creates an insulin response and you will store that energy. The only difference between fruit and candy is that hopefully the fruit has a few more vitamins
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Fruits and veggies are good carbs..... deduct your fiber from your carbs and that will be accurate carbs for the day.
    [/quote

Are you talking about glycemic load?
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Sure no one got fat. But no one got skinny either.

Sugar is sugar. It still creates an insulin response and you will store that energy. The only difference between fruit and candy is that hopefully the fruit has a few more vitamins

Yes you're right about all carbs converting to sugar. THe difference is "how quickly" the insulin spikes. Candy will spike it a lot higher than a low glycemic carb.

Insulin is a storage hormone, it stores the sugar in the muscle it's called glycogen, if the muscle is already full of glycogen it will convert it to bodyfat.

Fruit raises insulin slowly which is a good thing. Fructose and Sucrose have to be converted to a glucose which is a long process.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    [Yes you're right about all carbs converting to sugar. THe difference is "how quickly" the insulin spikes. Candy will spike it a lot higher than a low glycemic carb.

Insulin is a storage hormone, it stores the sugar in the muscle it's called glycogen, if the muscle is already full of glycogen it will convert it to bodyfat.

Fruit raises insulin slowly which is a good thing. Fructose and Sucrose have to be converted to a glucose which is a long process.

This! And if you are doing weight training to use some of your muscle glycogen daily, its even less likely to be stored as fat.
  • janew68
    janew68 Posts: 37
    Options
    Awesome=0) I was thinking this same thing, because I try and eat lower glycemic foods more often than not. I can't see blueberries being anywhere near a chocolate bar on the sugar scale...I;m not going to worry about my fruit/veggie sugars anymore...However, do you know anything about the sugars in dairy?? Thanks in advance!
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I am SURE that no one got fat by eating too many fruits and vegetables. If it's working for you - keep doing it!

Actually, I saw a show once about people who are addicted to food getting help at a clinic, and the doctor talked about a patient who loved oranges, and ate them all day. The patient wondered why he was so fat when all he ate was oranges.

Too much food is too much food.

That being said, don't worry about being over on sugar when it's from natural sources, unless you're having issues with your weight loss and looking for a culprit.
  • Chalseylee
    Chalseylee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Its good to have veggies at all your meals....meals 3-5 or 6, but only have fruits at your first two meals of the day. You can burn off the sugars you injest before lunch. (Trainer and competitive athelete)