Kettlebell Training?

Options
Hi all,

I am going to start using my kettlebell at home for the first time tonight! I am starting light with a 5lb bell, but I have heard you can torch a ton of calories quickly! I have a few exercises lined up, but I have no idea how to mark it in MFP exercise diary. Does anybody else out there use a kettlebell? And if so how do you mark it in your diary?

I am also super interested in any tips and tricks anybody has as well!

Thanks in advance

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    You need proper form. Aren't you going to work with a trainer, at least once?
  • natalielosew
    natalielosew Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It is my first time using my kettle bell, at home. I have used them in gyms before, with a trainer. Just looking to see if anybody has any clue as to how i mark it down on this website...
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I am starting light with a 5lb bell, but I have heard you can torch a ton of calories quickly!

Nah, the calorie burning isn't that much - maybe 150 to 250 calories for a 30 minute session? The quickest way to burn calories is to reduce your intake of them. :+1:

For tracking purposes, try logging them as aerobics.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    You may be able to log it as circuit training if you are doing challenging sets. Heavier (more challenging) kettle bells may give you better results as you progress. You can pick up 15lb KB at TJMaxx. For heavier KBs you can get some (I went with Cap) on Amazon.
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I do a Kettlebell workout called Kettlercise, it's 30-45 minutes with varied Kettlebell moves, from deadlift to swings, etc. You can go to classes here (UK) or get DVDs. Not sure but you may be able to get the DVDs via Amazon in US. I alSo tried Jillian Michaels' Kettlebell workout, but really did not like it, felt there was not the emphasis on correct form & safety. I started with 2kg, have 2, 2.5, 3, 4, & just found a 5kg bell.
    I log it as aerobics or circuits but don't really worry about that.
  • natalielosew
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • heldavi
    heldavi Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I recommend FitnessBlender on YouTube, I quit the gym because I found their videos so much more beneficial for myself - and completely free.
    You don't need a trainer as long as you can follow the video and have a large mirror so you can see your form. Keep your back straight and don't forget to do your stretches!
    I have a 6kg (13lbs) kettlebell, looking to increase the weight and I'm a 24 year old female.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I would log it as circuit training. You get a good calorie burn with kettlebells compared to weight lifting as you are also incorporating cardio. I suggest getting a heavier kettlebell though. I started with 6kg (about 14lb) and moved to 8kg after first class (about 20lb). In the class I go to we would use between 8kg and 16kg for females.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
  • natalielosew
    Options
    Thanks everybody! I have logged it as circuit training, and the workout tips are great! Will definitely be pulling out the full length mirror after work tonight! haha