extra calories

Options
Ok so I have a little bit of a dilemma. I have been doing my work outs at night. Pretty much every night for the last three weeks after falling off the wagon over and over and over again. I am feeling great and pray for strength every morning and night and so far I have been staying on track. The thing is I usually work out after dinner so Im full by the time I get my work out done and seem to be full until bed. I usually have about 400 cals left for the night and I have seen it over and over again on here that it's important to eat your work out cals.

Sometimes during the day I am hungry but I chose not to eat out of what I have planned for the day in fear that I may fall off the wagon or in the slight chance that I dont work out in the evening and then im over on calories. It has been my experience that one bad choice during the day can spiral into a week long binge of junk so the more structured I am the better. I know I need to eat the calories im earing but Im struggling to balance. I think in the summer I will be able to get my work out done in the morning but for right now Im ending my nights with too many left over calories.

Suggestions please.

Thanks

Replies

• elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I never eat all of my exercise calories personally, I usually eat about 1/2 of them. I started out not wanting to eat too many throughout the day just in case I didn't exercise, but I found that planning my day to eat a couple of hundred extra calories gives me the motivation to make sure that I exercise, because I know that if I don't I will end up going over. Not sure if that helps, but it works for me :-)
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    as long as you've eaten 1200 calories so your not in starvation mode and your still loosing weight don't sweat it. i have over 400 calories left today but i'm not hungry and probably won't eat anymore tonight.
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    When I think I'm going to be over on calories I just work out a little longer. Or do an exercise out of my normal routine. Anything to add more calories.
  • olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I sometimes have the same problem, when I'm not positive I will be able to get a work out done in the evening. I usually plan my breakfast, lunch, and snack in advance, so I try to plan dinner for workout and no workout. So without workout, I will have about 400 calories, with, I have between 600-900. If I workout, I will make a protein smoothie, or have an extra side with dinner, if I don't, I still have enough calories for dinner.

I also typically eat only a portion of my exercise calories back, partly because I don't know for sure how much i burn, and partly because I don't often want to eat that much. So I just make sure I at least net about 1200.

I really felt I could have said that in a simpler way, but I hope you get the idea :)
  • paula1we
    paula1we Posts: 4
    Options
    I have only been eating 1200 to 1500 calories on most days and burning 600 in exercise. Ive lost 60 pounds over about eight months time. Maybe I could have lost it quicker if I ate all my exercise calories. Now that I'm 10 pounds away from my target weight I'll try eating my exercise calories and see if it comes off any quicker. I just really wanted those pounds to be gone and I had a hard time trusting that I could eat all that food and still loose weight.
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    You could try logging your evening workouts against the next day, so you can eat the calories you earn then.