Where do I start on my journey? !

Options
cherishlove84
cherishlove84 Posts: 13 Member
edited January 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi, I'm new here and after reading some of the tips and comments, I know that I am ready. But where should I begin? Even the suggested calorie intake has me confused. I weigh 278 an I want to lose 100lbs

Replies

• ckorpi325
    ckorpi325 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm just get started! So I would love to figure this out with you! I was a nutrition consultant and personal trainer in my former life :) so I might be able to help you out!
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    The only place to start is at the beginning.

I suggest starting by buying a food scale. Digital ones with tares are very cheap these days - I got mine from the grocery store for $15. Then start weighing and logging everything you eat, just to get a gauge for how much you actually do eat.
  • activeinmysixties
    activeinmysixties Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I suggest you start by logging your food so you can actually get an idea of what you eat. What you may need to do is measure the food to have an idea what you eat and then you can find where you can cut down calories.
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Start with your food and logging get comfortable with that first, then incorporate a little exercise when ready.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Checking with a dr is a good idea. But you can certainly start walking and cutting out junk foods.
  • megjay18
    megjay18 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    i agree with previous posters - start tracking everything you're eating and buy a digital food scale. i've tried to start MFP in the past, but it never really "clicked" until i bought a food scale and stopped estimating and eye-balling my intake. good luck on your weight loss journey - just remember to celebrate even small losses and don't rush anything!
  • cherishlove84
    Options
    ckorpi325 wrote: »
    I'm just get started! So I would love to figure this out with you! I was a nutrition consultant and personal trainer in my former life :) so I might be able to help you out!

Any help with this would be good lol
  • fittanyag
    fittanyag Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck! You can do it!
  • chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I suggest you start by logging your food so you can actually get an idea of what you eat. What you may need to do is measure the food to have an idea what you eat and then you can find where you can cut down calories.

This is where I started... I didn't change anything at all besides actually measuring the amount that I was eating... which is eye opening in itself. Then I looked at the content of what I ate... how much fat was in the food and or carbs... and the amount of protein. Took me a month to figure out what to eat that would keep me full on 1500 calories.

Next thing I did was get a calculation of my TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) then subtract my calories from that amount. IF I get my 10,000 steps a day and 30 minutes of activity I should expend 2800 calories... So if I take 1000 off that amount I can still eat 1800 and lose weight... If you need more calories subtract 500 and have 2300 remaining... you won't lose as fast but you will still lose and be able to fit in real foods that won't leave you feeling deprived.

I also saw a Doctor, but really it was for another reason and I just mentioned tracking calories. My Doctor didn't really have anything positive or negative to say about it, he just said "find what works for you."
  • suavelogic
    suavelogic Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Welcome Cherishlove84. Thank you for reaching out to our community. The simplest way to start is... well you signed up here! So congratulations. Second, drink more water, third, track your food for at least one week. you may be shocked how many calories you are or are not eating! Food tracking for the first week will give you a great idea of whats going into your body. Yes, its a pain, but once you get most of the foods you eat logged, you can just click on all the regulars and its pretty quick tracking.

Hope this helps
    1. Drink more water
    2. Track food for a week
    3. Keep on keepin on

Frank
    The Fitness Catalyst :)
  • marlown
    marlown Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Fill out your profile completely and request at least 10 active friends from the community forums under "recent discussions". Lots of encouragement and information available. Some good advice in the replies to your post. Start your journey today. Don't wait any longer! You can do this and you are worth it!
  • cherishlove84
    Options
    chelsy0587 wrote: »

This is where I started... I didn't change anything at all besides actually measuring the amount that I was eating... which is eye opening in itself. Then I looked at the content of what I ate... how much fat was in the food and or carbs... and the amount of protein. Took me a month to figure out what to eat that would keep me full on 1500 calories.

Next thing I did was get a calculation of my TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) then subtract my calories from that amount. IF I get my 10,000 steps a day and 30 minutes of activity I should expend 2800 calories... So if I take 1000 off that amount I can still eat 1800 and lose weight... If you need more calories subtract 500 and have 2300 remaining... you won't lose as fast but you will still lose and be able to fit in real foods that won't leave you feeling deprived.

I also saw a Doctor, but really it was for another reason and I just mentioned tracking calories. My Doctor didn't really have anything positive or negative to say about it, he just said "find what works for you."

Thank you
  • Rdsgoal16
    Rdsgoal16 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I would start by having an honest and frank conversation with everyone around you (friends and family) letting them know you are changing your lifestyle, your goals and your reason for change. Most will appreciate it and support you. I swear I have some friend jealous of the change and the weight loss. I then removed the junk food from my house. I bought a scale and use it (not a religiously as I should but I am still dropping pretty fast), the best thing I did was log everything. double your normal water intake. I think adding in strength training and cardio is important. Good luck to you!
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    KSC-350-95_PT03.jpg