Dare I ask how unrealistic this is?

NewVonnie
NewVonnie Posts: 683 Member
I'll try to make this as short as possible. A bit of background. I'm short and huge..lol. I also LOVE watching The Biggest Loser. I was always the one sitting on the couch and eating and saying to myself " I wish I could be on the show, I wish I could lose this weight" , but I would sit there and eat and watch. And then when the finale show would air I would look at the contestants and then at myself and wish I had done something to change. That's been going on for ages. Fast forward to about 3 weeks ago. On my facebook page Bob Harper posted " Today is the 1st day of filming for Biggest Loser season 12" Something in my mind suddenly shifted. I had an idea..a crazy idea but just maybe....Ok so I couldnt be on the show, But what If I acted as if I was. What if from the first day of filming on I ate right and exercised. Was there in spirit. I loved the idea of knowing I was working alongside them in real time, but from home. Then at the live finale when their transformation was shown..I was transformed too. So I tried to calculate how long I had. I know they finish filming before they start to air on TV. Then the finale is live. I also know the season airs in Fall. So just say that means Sept. I figure I have till around my birthday..end of Jan. to reach my goal. That gave me about 8 months to lose 100 pounds. So my question is..Is it possible? Is it realistic? What would I have to do to get there? So sorry this is so long but I would love your thoughts.

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    This sounds like a great idea - anything that gets you motivated is good!
    I don't know if you can lose 100 pounds in 8 months, but you will sure as hell be a whole lot closer to your goal, even if you don't lose the whole 100, you might lose 50 or more - and you WILL be transformed. Go for it!
  • mendogirl
    mendogirl Posts: 87
    i think with the right mindset, a healthy diet, a good exercise routine, and a great attitude that you can achieve it! good luck!
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Congratulations on your loss so far, and I can see why it'd be inspirational to follow the contestants. May I suggest that you keep a diary as well so you can compare where you were at the time and how the contestants are doing once the show airs? That'd be cool.

For the weightloss you ask about, you'd have to lose 3lbs/week to achieve that, and I don't think that's healthy but that's just my perception, I'm not a Dr.

Don't forget that it might not be crazy for them, but they have the chance to make weight loss their full-time activity, while the rest of us in the *real* world cannot.

Best of luck!
  • risefromruin
    risefromruin Posts: 483 Member
    I'm sure it is definitely possible!!! Anything is possible if you stick to your goal. It will be hard and you have to be committed but you can do it! It has taken me a year and a half to lose 98 lbs, but I know there are people out there that lose it much faster. The important thing to keep in mind is that you are starting something life changing. If it gets to January and you've only lost 70 lbs, who cares? You still will have made HUGE difference, and let me tell you, you will be SO proud. Good luck to you!!!
  • evangpattismith
    evangpattismith Posts: 57 Member
    Go for it. you might lose the whole 100 in 8 months, you might lose most of it, some of it, half of it,whatever, but you will be less that what you are now..GO FOR IT!! with the right plan for you, you can do it!
  • megenglish
    megenglish Posts: 10
    sooooo in the same frame of mind! I figure it did not take me 8 mo, or 10 mo, to put this weight on, so it will take longer to take it off. but to keep focus to try and loose the 2 lbs a week is a great goal. ever wonder what the biggest losers from the past look like now? they never show them? ( well the most of them anyway). I believe its a lifestyle for life not a "just a now thing" r u ready to make the changes for life? I know I'll have to.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    That's great that you had a sudden spark of inspiration! To answer your question, possible but unlikely, and probably unhealthy as well as unsustainable (you'd likely gain back what you lose). Here are a few things to consider:

Does your daily life allow you to spend hours every day exercising, plus cooking up your own healthy food? If you're employed and/or have children to take care of, this is out of question. I only work part time, I have no kids, and I find myself quite busy just exercising TWO hours a day... You're gonna have to do more like 6-8 hours!

Fast loss of large amount of weight makes it more likely that you'll end up with sagging skin!!!

If you burn out and fall off the wagon, how likely is it that you'll just give up?

I can't imagine anyone enjoying such an intense weight loss regimen. The best thing to do is finding a regimen that DOESN'T exhaust you, and DOESN'T make you feel unhappy or deprived... and turning that "regimen" into your new "lifestyle."

Sorry if that sounds discouraging, but giving yourself more time is seriously for the best. I keep hearing about Biggest Loser contestants gaining back some, all, or even all + more of their lost weight...
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    I think it is totally achieveable! Talk to a Doctor however and or a nutritionist and consult with them regularly thru out your transformation as you are looking to loose 10 plus pounds per month so you are going to want to do it smart (proper diet and excercise) no fads that will just hurt you in the long run! Aside from that I say go for it, you have nothing to lose but weight!!

Good luck! :)
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    It's a big goal that would require a lot of time, work and dedication. If you have a other responsibilities in your life it might just be too much to reach for.

The first 10 - 20 pounds will come of fast and easy and after it will gradually slow down so just be warned and don't get discouraged when it happens.

Set mini goals for yourself to keep you motivated and don't get discouraged if you miss them especially if it's only by a little bit.

Also don't get too caught up in losing it fast. If you take it at a nice gradual healthy pace you will be more likely to keep the weight off and it will give your skin and body more time to adjust to the changes. .

I wish you luck with your journey and the MFP community is here to help and support you!
  • pickenslmc
    pickenslmc Posts: 47 Member
    I think it is a great way of starting a new lifestyle. I think the goal may be a little unrealistic, but it is probably possible. Maybe start with 30 pounds by the first episode?
  • Aprilstar480
    Aprilstar480 Posts: 2,803 Member
    I love the biggest loser too! It's always amazing to me to see their transformations. I don't know if you could make it all the way but I think you could probably come close depending on your dedication and motivation. I know personally if I try hard I can loose about 2lbs a week... If I did that for 8 months it adds up to be about 64lbs. Also keep an eye out in these message boards... their are games people are playing that really help with motivation. I am participating in one right now that is just like being on biggest loser... Super fun! Good luck in your journey :flowerforyou:
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,033 Member
    YOU GO GIRL, go for it. This is a great idea. Your mindset has to be right in order for you to lose. 100lbs is alot in 8 months but it is possible. Just stick with it and even if it takes you a yr to lose 100lbs instead of 8 months so what. I have been on mfp for 10 months and i have lost 73lbs but everyone loses at different rates. good luck , you can do it
  • TwitchTX
    TwitchTX Posts: 4
    The best advice I can give you is to do this in small increments, as in, start with a small calorie deficit (not too low though - you'll trigger a starvation response!), then add in some cardio a week later, then some light weight training maybe a week or two after that, then maybe add some HIIT training, then heavier weight training, etc... to keep the weight coming off in a gradual BUT CONSISTENT manner.

If you try too many things all at once your body is going to FREAK OUT and do everything in it's power (which it is very efficient at) to make sure you DON'T lose your fat stores because your body is being shocked into the starvation/survival response (and you will be discouraged, frustrated, and angry - I know from personal experience and it took me a couple of months to get back on the horse and try again - after blowing it and gaining 10 lbs.).

If you take baby steps, watch those calories like a hawk and scale them properly as you go along, don't overeat carbs, and slowly build up your exercise regimen, then I think you'll amaze yourself at the transformation you make in 8 months.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.