Motivation after tough time

Options
I've been on and off here for a while now and have basically maintained my weight over the last couple of years - although the aim has always been to lose around 15-20 pounds.
A few weeks ago I lost a parent very suddenly and to be honest, eating well and practicing any fitness activity has been the last thing on my mind. But with the start of a new year I really want to do this - life really is too short, so I want to start right now!
Would love a bit of motivation to help me along the way - all new friends are welcome and it would be great to do this with others.

Replies

• Linseymout
    Linseymout Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Very sorry for your loss!!

Well done on maintaining and good luck with the last few pounds.
  • magsl71
    magsl71 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi Cloudpoker992, I am so very sorry for your loss. I understand your struggle. I too, had lost one of my parents, and one whom had had a profound impact on my life. I will never recover from losing my dad. So, moving forward, the next phase of your journey will be real. Nothing, and no one can get you back on track, except you. Take it from an expert (me), I know how real this journey back to you is. So, first things first, just breathe, and take it all in. Secondly, grieve. You owe that to yourself. Thirdly, put your trainers on, and just start moving. Polish up your gym membership card (if you belong to the gym) and go. The good thing about this journey, is that you never stop starting. So, stop and start, as often as you like. I promise you, when the focus returns, nothing else will matter, except for reaching that ultimate prize. You can do this. We can both do this. It would be an honour for me to join you on your journey, if you need a helping hand along the way. Peace.
  • cloudpoker992
    cloudpoker992 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thankyou Linsey and magsl71. Today is day one and it's gone pretty well so far - just aiming day to day right now and see where it takes me.
  • RosemaryBronte
    RosemaryBronte Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I really recommend meditation as it is soothing and comforting and it gets you in touch with your deepest self. Losing a parent is a deep experience but one you can honour and respect. For me a series of dreams and sessions of thinking and diary writing were part of the process of learning to live with that loss. Also honesty and gratitude. Healthy food can nourish and comfort you and exercise can soothe your mind and body. Keeping in touch with friends is also important but sometimes you may need some time alone. You will learn to live with this loss and you will be stronger for that but it takes time.