Spinning class Shoe

Options
Hey All..i'm back at it again with going to Spin Class but lately my feet are killing me more then my legs after the workout...i know for a fact i'm wearing the wrong type of shoe for the workout..i can't afford the spinning shoes that work for the bike..can anyone recommend a good shoe for cycling?

Replies

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I have been spinning for many years and still wear plain old gym shoes and use the pedals with cages rather than the spin shoes that clip into the bike. Never a problem. It could be that your form is bad. You must make a conscious effort to always keep your heels down...they will want to go up when you're pedaling.
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I would really recommend spin shoes. I got mine at a bike store and bought clearance shoes for around $30. Plus the clips I spent under $50. I spin Mon-Fri and I got a HORRIBLE case of plantar faciitis from wearing regular tennis shoes with my feet in the cage. And I bought mine around 5 years ago and they are still in great condition.

But, if you just can't do the spin shoes make sure you buy shoes with a very rigid sole. One of the reasons your feet might be hurting is because you over stretch the tendon running along the bottom of your foot. A rigid sole will keep your feet flatter.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I use either MTB style shoes with recessed SPD cleats which are far easier to walk in or some fairly basic road cycling shoes but with the addition of Shimano cleat stabilisers to give a limited ability to walk.
    Neither were expensive - bought online in end of season sales.

Being clipped in really helps you engage your hamstrings as well and make standing cycling much easier and more stable.
    Additional benefit for me is far less knee problems from keeping feet/ankles/knees/hips in line.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    As an avid cyclist, I can tell you that your feet are going to feel it if you spend any significant amount of time on a bike or spinning without proper footwear...meaning proper cycling shoes.

You should be able to find a pair of spin shoes pretty reasonable as you don't need anything fancy...just something to give your foot some stiffness and allow you to clip in. A basic pair of mountain bike shoes with just the velcro straps would work just fine and I've seen them for $60-$80 and even less on sales and clearances.
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I always had an issue with my toes going numb when using the cages, so I broke down and got a pair of cycle shoes. BEST INVESTMENT EVER! Mine are Pearl Izumi brand ($70-110 on Amazon), and I've had them for nearly 3 years with no issues at all. You'll feel the difference immediately! I found muscles I didn't even know I had after starting to use my cycle shoes!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Another vote for biting the bullet and buying cycling shoes (shop around on-line and you'll find something very reasonably priced in the clearance section) but check with the club to see which types of pedals they have as there are a number of major manufacturers (Shimano & Look are two of the more popular ones)

If they have Shimano SPD pedals I'd go with sijomial's suggestion of a MTB style shoe, with the recessed cleat they're easier to walk in (and easier on the floor at the studio).

If you get a road style shoe most will support either Shimano SPD/SL or Look cleats (you'll see 3 screw holes on the bottom of the shoe). some will support on SPD (the two slots) and some both types...

jn03i14i1aqp.jpg

If you're only using the shoes in the studio they'll last you for years and will enhance your experience.

• Bitokos
    Bitokos Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I went two years biking in Group Ride before biting the bullet and buying shoes. My feet used to go slightly numb after every ride. With the Cycling shoes that went away.

BUT, even better than that I starting getting better work outs. When cycling, correctly pulling your feet up is just as important as pushing them down. It uses different muscles. I had a much better up cycle for each foot with the correct footwear.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    I use an older pair of cycling shoes ... mtn bike style.

But if you don't want to go with cycling shoes with cleats, at least get a pair of shoes with stiff soles.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I bought mine used from Ebay.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Or look at craigslist. Def recommend cleats but if you really can't, then I've found that my most rigid-soled sneaker worked the best.
  • DM01234
    DM01234 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Already been said, but proper bike shoes with cleats is the ticket.