YOGA?! tell me what you know!

Options
hello everyone!

so my biggest problem for years now has been emotional eating - to the point of over eating/binge eating and it's hindered my success over and over and over again.

now, yoga has always been something i've wanted to try but have always been intimidated by my lack of strength & flexibility.

i've really been considering more lately though, and i think it could maybe help with some of the mental/emotional issues i have with eating? not sure though lol.

SO REALLY! what i want to know is what you love or don't love about yoga, what it's done for you, why you would/wouldn't recommend it, etc. etc.

any two cents on the topic is welcome. thanks! :)

Replies

• Busybusybee
    Busybusybee Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yoga is superb. Most of all it calms the mind, but also develops flexibility and strength.

Try to find a good teacher.

And take a look at the yogajournal.com website - lots of interesting articles and videos you can try at home - but it is best to go to a class if you're a beginner.
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I love yoga. I started doing it about 13 years ago and it changed my whole outlook. the first class i done, i felt like i'd had a full body massage, i was loose and relaxed and fell asleep in the end at the meditation bit. it was awesome, so i kept going for a good 5 years or so, i used to do a basic and an advanced class every week, i love it.

then i stopped, got fat, unfit and had kids and recently just started back up again, my body remembers most of the poses and i can still do head stands and shoulder stands, although my knees don't allow alot of the things that they used to.

it is so great for your head, and it's great for relaxation and it's also very muscle heavy when you've been doing it for a few years you can actually work up a full on sweat and get sore muscles from some of the moves when you learn to do them well.

I can't recommend it enough. Everyone should do yoga! I do it once a week to compliment my other workouts so my muscles are getting a good long full stretch as opposed to 2 minutes at the end of the workout.
  • helbohn
    helbohn Posts: 44
    Options
    balance. flexibility. meditating. focus. courage. strength.

yoga has helped me in every single aspect of each word i just wrote.

it is helping me through a "burn out" period i am experiencing, right now!, of not giving a **** anymore about losing weight.

because losing weight isn't totally about just losing the weight.

sigh.

i suppose the last word i should write is:

life changing habits. take time.

yoga will help you through it all. even the bumps.
    namaste.
  • mariumosman
    Options
    bump. i'd like to know too
  • brittanyscherich
    brittanyscherich Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I love yoga!!! I'm a beginner, but I'm so in love with yoga. It's so calming. If I have a bad day, I make sure I do at least 10 minutes of yoga. It's just so relaxing. Have a craving? Do some yoga until it passes lol. I would def recommend it.
  • MmhmmStephanie
    Options
    The more experience with yoga you have, the better your flexibility and balance becomes. I've noticed this. I don't have a instructor or don't go to classes. But I practice some poses at home. And it's helped tons!

Sorry I don't have more to offer!
  • zoecalleja
    Options
    i have never tried yoga but i am sure it will help with any emotions you are having.... i say you give it a try if you dont like it try something else....

i have been going through a lot lately and decided i am putting everything i got in spinning and dancing... i find it works wonders... phyisically and mentally

good luck :) xx
  • musica814
    musica814 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    bump
  • fsugirl26
    fsugirl26 Posts: 207
    Options
    I just started yoga a couple weeks ago, and I am so in love with the workouts! Obviously as a beginner, it's hard for me to get through all the stretches, but every day I get better and better. My body feels soo amazing and relaxed once I'm done with the workout.

There's a series of "Crunch" DVDs that I stream from Netflix onto my computer. I really love their Crunch: Super Slimdown workout...it's a combo of pilates and yoga, and it's awesome for beginners!
  • Sammybunny711
    Sammybunny711 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I LOOOOOOOOOOOVE yoga. It is so amazing as a workout and relaxer. Contrary to popular belief, yoga can also help slim down because it builds lean muscle and you can work up a real cardio sweat when doing power yoga (not staying in poses for a long breathing period, but transitioning through many poses in succession). It's awesome. Try it out. :-)