Lower Back Pain

Options
I've been experiencing lower back pain. It's kind of severe in pain, but I've experienced it before due to my weight. My problem is knowing what I can do while I'm recuperating. Generally, I stay on a hard surface on my back, with my legs slightly elevated. Today I was able to exercise for a little bit by walking, but I don't want to make it worse. I want to get better, but I fear starting from scratch once I'm ready to start again.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

Replies

• hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I'm going to guess your lower back is weak and not used to holding your weight upright. Squats and deadlifts are great for lower back exercises. To help ease the pain, get a foam roller. I got one from walmart for $15.

Earlier this year I had lower back pain from sitting in my office chair. I started doing squats 2-3 times a week and the pain was gone within a couple weeks.
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    You're totally right. When I started working in an office, I wasn't doing any of the heavy lifting and walking that I was used to doing. And from exercising I can tell how weak my core has gotten from the lack of exercise. I will definitely try that out. Thanks!
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    It took me 8 months to get rid of that. My back would freeze so hard I could hardly take a step. So first of all hang in there.

Here's what you can try. Do abdominal exercises like setups, crunches, and leg lifts. Also take a moment to stretch the back before and after exercising. Don't be hesitant to sit down a few minutes. This is key. If the pain goes away fast then press on while taking a few minutes break every so often. I use to stop at every spot where you could sit. Listen to your body.

Eventually has your abs get stronger and you lose weight it will go away and it will be beautiful.
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    I'm at that point right now where it's a bit painful to walk... actually, really painful. I was at work, and I got up to get something, and I just felt myself freeze. I can tell that I'm building up my strength, but I can also tell that my body is really not used to it, and I'm probably pushing myself too hard. Thanks for the advice.
  • brown85
    brown85 Posts: 5
    Options
    I had some major lower back issues to the point where I'd almost cry when the pain would hit and after having my son I was in pain daily. I found that I had to strengthen my core. 2 months into exercising and personal training 3-4 times a week and the pain has been few and far between. I carry ALOT of extra weight around my tummy and notice that when I stop exercising the pain starts again. Hope the pain goes away soon!
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    brown85: I'm totally in the same boat. I've had this problem before, and I never realized it was due to my weak core. I hope I can try to keep on exercising. The pain is pretty bad, so it's difficult at times.
  • daffysbird
    daffysbird Posts: 42
    Options
    Thankyou so much for posting this post and for the advice given here.

I suffer quite badly with lower back pain and I was convinced it was due to an old injury, i broke my coxyx when I was at school. My doctor agreed to xray it for me and said he would be surprised if this was the reason after almost 17 years and I am still relatively young apparently ( he needs to tell my body that sometimes lol)

Anyway he said it was down to my weight and it was a big fact in my reasons for wanting to lose weight, so I thought that as I lost weight the pain would be less, well i am 35lb down and do not seem to be getting any where with the pain, the only thing that seems to of happened is that I can walk that little bit further before the pain kicks in.

Due to a heart condition I struggle with doing a lot of exercises, I am probably one of the only people that gets jealous when I see people running on the side of the road, I would love to be able to do that. But some of the suggestions I have seen on here I am definitely going to give a try and hope that the pain subsides and the weight comes off even more.

Thanks guys