Foods that keep you full!

Options
I'd love some meal and snack options that would keep me fuller during the day so I'm not tempted to snack after dinner!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    It's going to be different strokes for different folks. Personally, things like legumes, lentils, oats, potatoes, etc fill me up, so those kinds of things are staples of my diet. I also eat a ton of veg, some fruit, plenty of lean sourced protein and good, healthy fats.

Like a typical dinner for me would be grilled salmon with a sour cream and chive baked potato and sauteed or steamed asparagus for example.
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    For me: If I eat food with high carbs I get hungry. If I eat protein I stay full longer.

Yogurt, nuts, seeds, nut butters, protein bars, boiled eggs, are the things I eat most often.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    My overnight oats keep me full for hours every morning. Eggs keep me full (with yolks of course). Greek yogurt/Chobani flips preferably.
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately there is no one answer for this question. It depends on a person whether it's protein, carbs or fats that keep them full for longer. You need to try out different things and see for yourself.
    For me personally it depends on a day, but protein is what mostly keeps me full for longer.
  • tbirk
    tbirk Posts: 25 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    • Veggies! I love roasted Brussels sprouts or broccoli. I like fresh veggies too, like celery and carrots. I'll eat those plain or with hummus.
    • Fruits like bananas and apples.
    • Lean proteins like chicken, turkey, fish.
    • Tea and water. 0 calories. There is a large variety of tea, too!
    • Lowfat dairy like cottage cheese, milk, string cheese.
    • Eggs
    • Popcorn for something salty
    • High fiber foods (you'll have to look that up, I can't remember off the top of my head!)
    • Sugarfree gum -- I hate chewing gum, but my sister depends on it

Experiment and find what works for you! I am always looking at blogs, magazines, Pinterest, and healthy cookbooks for new meal and snack ideas.

Some of it also comes down to will power. Once you break the habit of late night snacking, then it will become easier. Ask yourself if you're really hungry or just craving. Try waiting 20 min -- you might forget your craving in the first place!

Best of luck! :)
  • sgobi333
    sgobi333 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    When I do NOT eat enough protein, I even THINK about ANY kind of food all day long. I did a test--yesterday I was VERY low on my protein, and it was so true. Today, I went heavier on Protein, still completely within my calorie restrictions, but have not had one second of thought of food, or even hunger pains today. (Until now, when I started talking about food. But that is my own internal struggle.)

Increase your protein, is what I am saying. Also, generally speaking HIGH FIBER foods will help too, even though they tend to make one gassy. :);)
  • LauraGrove30
    LauraGrove30 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    First decide if the snacking is hunger or boredom. If you are truly hungry than eat something. I've found if I eat a well balanced dinner that isn't cutting carbs or protein than I'm usually not hungry or tempted at night but if I've been cutting something out of my diet than I'm really hungry at night or have difficulty completing a workout.
  • amillenium
    amillenium Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I realize that everyone is different and even I am different from my typical foods based on workout routine, TOM, etc but here is my usual....

I'm a volume eater--I need a lot of volume and a bit of protein to be full. I do a lot of large salads with all kinds of veggies and fruits topped with 3-4 oz of turkey or chicken breast. If I do egg/egg white scramble, I always add mushrooms and spinach. I need foods that pack a lot of "bang for their buck" in terms of volume to calorie ratio. I also need a little protein in there to be satisfied. With overnight oats, I have to do a scoop of protein powder and then I am good to go.

Hope this helps!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    For me it's a good mix of protein, fat, and fiber. For meals I'll be much more satisfied if I have a serving of complex carbs with protein and veggies.
  • deegrl
    deegrl Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :D
  • fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I find that if I had a filling and satisfying breakfast the rest of the day just seems to be better. So I try to have at least 2 boiled eggs in the morning with a breakfast salad of tomato, cucumber, leek green pepper and olives. Not everyday but most days.
  • ise311
    ise311 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Rice keeps me full, but too bad it's too high on carbs.